Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Also tried with iGPU at some point. Ended in a colored pixel mess.
The same RX480 worked fine for 3 years in the same setup. Whatevergreen works fine AFAIK.

I tried a thumb drive and a SSD for the install, with Monterey and Catalina installers. Both will not work/end at the same place with a black screen.
Maybe the ssd is broken….can you clone in this ssd your actual good mac os to check?

Are you connecting via DP or HDMI? If HDMI, I suspect BIOS rot. Reset CMOS and setup the BIOS again.
I have done this several times, without succes. Might try again.

My Z390 boot NVMe with Monterey somehow got corrupted too, can't boot of it. The disk structure looks weird. On the other hand, all APFS boot disks look strange with all this virtual stuff going on. But this one looks even weirder.

MacOS complains about crucial stuff that isn't where it is supposed to be, and then crashes.

Maybe the ssd is broken….can you clone in this ssd your actual good mac os to check?

It might indeed be a good idea to clone my Z690 boot NVME and just replace the EFI with something more appropiate for a Z390.

Or install a fresh copy of Monterey or Ventura on an empty SSD connected to my MacBook Pro, and then replace the EFI.

I have done this several times, without succes. Might try again.

My Z390 boot NVMe with Monterey somehow got corrupted too, can't boot of it. The disk structure looks weird. On the other hand, all APFS boot disks look strange with all this virtual stuff going on. But this one looks even weirder.

MacOS complains about crucial stuff that isn't where it is supposed to be, and then crashes.

It might indeed be a good idea to clone my Z690 boot NVME and just replace the EFI with something more appropiate for a Z390.

Or install a fresh copy of Monterey or Ventura on an empty SSD connected to my MacBook Pro, and then replace the EFI.
I would remove the NVMe and any cloned systems from the equation. Start from scratch by building a new EFI from HackinDROM and use a USB OS installer.

I would remove the NVMe and any cloned systems from the equation. Start from scratch by building a new EFI from HackinDROM and use a USB OS installer.
I've started doing just that, clean EFI and fresh macOS install. With several USB thumb drives. And SATA SSD. Try as I might, the MacOS installer(I tried Monterey and Catalina) always crashes at some point complaining about read-only stuff or wrong paths/problems with FindMyMac etc.

Is BT/WIFI mandatory for an install? I don't have this in my Z390 setup.

I've started doing just that, clean EFI and fresh macOS install. With several USB thumb drives. And SATA SSD. Try as I might, the MacOS installer(I tried Monterey and Catalina) always crashes at some point complaining about read-only stuff or wrong paths/problems with FindMyMac etc.

Is BT/WIFI mandatory for an install? I don't have this in my Z390 setup.
I think that only Ethernet [en0] is a requirement, but in the [USB stick] installer, you need to run the Disk Utility [show all devices] and completely reformat the destination SSD before trying to reinstall the -that's why you're getting path/directory errors. Find My Mac won't work without WiFi, AFAIK.

I think that only Ethernet [en0] is a requirement, but in the [USB stick] installer, you need to run the Disk Utility [show all devices] and completely reformat the destination SSD before trying to reinstall the -that's why you're getting path/directory errors. Find My Mac won't work without WiFi, AFAIK.
Do you mean I need to completely reformat the USB stick(1) before installing the EFI & macOS installer, or the destination disk(2), where you install macOS to?

When booting from the USB drive with the macOS installer, I never reach the macOS screen where you can install or format the destination disk, it crashes long before that.

Back