Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Something seems off with your install, like OC dismisses your settings. Have you counterchecked? You got iOReg? Tried the Thunderbolt ports?

I ain't home right now, but if you want I can shoot you some SSDTs, once I'm back (if I don't forget :D). Those freezes could have to do something with USB not configured right, seen it happen.

@CaseySJ I ain't no expert but is the DP on the Designare not a DP-In? As in routing the DP signal from DGPU to the Thunderbolt port? If so then the DP port is the wrong place to connect a monitor is all I'm saying :D
What say you to my theory, good sir?

Still running Windows 11 at the moment, so any help is very much appreciated :mrgreen: I still don't have it working and it still stalls anywhere, randomly. I even asked a local shop in the Netherlands to help me, but the initial fee is $ 300 and $ 70/hour of working on it... not going to do that.

I used 2 fresh bootable Ventura (latest) USB sticks. I do have iOReg on my MacBook. If you want me to try anything, let me know. Als different SSDT's are welcome. Do you need anything from me? My setup can be found in my signature.

@CaseySJ on my z390 Designare so far everything works, so far, but my Thunderbolt input wont recognize USB-C external inputs, for example, external hard drives, usb-c cable, usb-c flash drive. Is that something that i should look out for or are they disable or anything. Please help or anyone here that knows about this particular issue. Thanks in advance.
Alas this is a widespread issue on this board -- it affects me as well. There are two workarounds:
  1. If we connect a Thunderbolt dock that has USB-C ports, those will work
  2. We can use the front panel USB-C connector; if your computer case does not have front panel USB-C, one can always use something like this:

Still running Windows 11 at the moment, so any help is very much appreciated :mrgreen: I still don't have it working and it still stalls anywhere, randomly. I even asked a local shop in the Netherlands to help me, but the initial fee is $ 300 and $ 70/hour of working on it... not going to do that.

I used 2 fresh bootable Ventura (latest) USB sticks. I do have iOReg on my MacBook. If you want me to try anything, let me know. Als different SSDT's are welcome. Do you need anything from me? My setup can be found in my signature.
If I were you, I'd disconnect the power cable, flip-out the CMAS battery, then reset the CMOS, put everything back in, load optimized defaults, then reset your settings. Or just reflash the BIOS with the same version that you've been using with success. I've noticed that the BIOS seems to "rot" after a few months.

Something I also do, is I password-lock the BIOS settings (admin mode) so that Windows cannot change any of the settings without your direct permission.

Alas this is a widespread issue on this board -- it affects me as well. There are two workarounds:
  1. If we connect a Thunderbolt dock that has USB-C ports, those will work
  2. We can use the front panel USB-C connector; if your computer case does not have front panel USB-C, one can always use something like this:
Copy that! I figure option 2 will be my best bet.
Thanks @CaseySJ

PS: Tomorrow I will start my new journey with my new z490 Vision D.

If I were you, I'd disconnect the power cable, flip-out the CMAS battery, then reset the CMOS, put everything back in, load optimized defaults, then reset your settings. Or just reflash the BIOS with the same version that you've been using with success. I've noticed that the BIOS seems to "rot" after a few months.

Something I also do, is I password-lock the BIOS settings (admin mode) so that Windows cannot change any of the settings without your direct permission.
Thanks, I will try this also.

Regarding BIOS, that's always a tricky thing in my mind. To which version should I reflash/update, and how? I'm now on the unmodified version of F9i. I guess this is the latest manual I should follow, right?

https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...olt-3-i7-9700k-amd-rx-580.316533/post-2306847

Last edited:
Thanks, I will try this also.

Regarding BIOS, that's always a tricky thing in my mind. To which version should I reflash/update, and how? I'm now on the unmodified version of F9i. I guess this is the latest manual I should follow, right?

https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...olt-3-i7-9700k-amd-rx-580.316533/post-2306847
@jiffyslot You wouldn't believe it, but I'm typing this from my Ventura installation :mrgreen: Reflashing the BIOS was indeed the solution! I don't face the immediate freezes anymore. Thanks a million for that advice. Finally, after 2 weeks of trying it finally works again.

Just a question in case I need to reflash again; should I use the same BIOS file (the modified F9i version) if I need to?

@jiffyslot You wouldn't believe it, but I'm typing this from my Ventura installation :mrgreen: Reflashing the BIOS was indeed the solution! I don't face the immediate freezes anymore. Thanks a million for that advice. Finally, after 2 weeks of trying it finally works again.

Just a question in case I need to reflash again; should I use the same BIOS file (the modified F9i version) if I need to?
I'm using the unmodified F9i. It would be a good idea to keep a few copies of F9i and the modded F9i around just in case it's needed.

Attachments

• mb_bios_z390-designare_f9i.zip
    6.8 MB · Views: 25
Hello @Elias64Fr,

Thank you for assembling this file, which includes the latest security fixes and micro code, but retains the F9i feature set.

When you say “not using Q-Flash”, does this mean it cannot be installed via Q-Flash?

I'm sure that since this post more people have installed it and are using it, but I just wanted to from my side that this works great. I've installed it using Q-Flash.

Back