Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Hey guys, having an issue with my Hack.

Suddenly lost USB peripherals when using so had to hold the power button to shut down, now the unit will not power up at all. This has happened before with no issue restarting.

The Designare logo lights up, but no action at all when pressing the power button.

I have tried detaching all peripherals, a CMOS reset, a new CMOS battery, checking all connections, reseating RAM etc

Still not powering up. Any advice?

Thanks in advance!

Hey guys, having an issue with my Hack.

Suddenly lost USB peripherals when using so had to hold the power button to shut down, now the unit will not power up at all. This has happened before with no issue restarting.

The Designare logo lights up, but no action at all when pressing the power button.

I have tried detaching all peripherals, a CMOS reset, a new CMOS battery, checking all connections, reseating RAM etc

Still not powering up. Any advice?

Thanks in advance!
Some immediate suggestions:
  • Firmly press down on all power cables connected to the motherboard
  • Firmly press all power cables at the PSU
  • Firmly press down on all DIMMs to make sure they're seated properly
  • Firmly press down on all PCIe cards
  • Check that CPU is still installed properly and the cooler is also secured
  • Check that the front panel header is properly connected to motherboard
    • This header contains pins for (a) power button, (b) reset button, (c) HDD light, etc.

@Chevron...... follow @CaseySJ first point on power cable to motherboard.
Make sure both the ATX connecters are correctly inserted into the motherboard

Check motherboard lights. If your CPU is not aligned/set correctly or if the thermal paste is gone then the board will power up with gentle whirr & power down & you should see a yellow/orange light flash on the mobo (check the manual) indicating power is not correct etc & it failed to post bios

Take your time on this because a bent cpu pin or connector on board is more problematic

When I built my system, I had forgotten that newer board have 2 atx connectors (built my last one in 1999 with ide ...) & I wasted 2 days tearing my hair out over this

Also check wall socket in case its gfci & make sure its not tripped.

Hi @CaseySJ Long Time no Issues haha. I've just updated from OC 0.8.8 to 0.9.0, and, now when booting, my screen goes blank with no input for about 10 seconds then turns back on to the Login Screen. All goes well until the Apple logo with the progress bar. It's as if the screen stops receiving any input for a short period of time. This has never happened before, this could either be as a result of the WhateverGreen update or the OC update. Any ideas what's causing this?

Hi @CaseySJ Long Time no Issues haha. I've just updated from OC 0.8.8 to 0.9.0, and, now when booting, my screen goes blank with no input for about 10 seconds then turns back on to the Login Screen. All goes well until the Apple logo with the progress bar. It's as if the screen stops receiving any input for a short period of time. This has never happened before, this could either be as a result of the WhateverGreen update or the OC update. Any ideas what's causing this?
One quick suggestion is to test the null hypothesis, which means reverting back to 0.8.9 and checking whether the problem goes away.

If so, then we can compare config.plist differences between the two and also selectively downgrade kexts until we find the culprit.

One quick suggestion is to test the null hypothesis, which means reverting back to 0.8.9 and checking whether the problem goes away.

If so, then we can compare config.plist differences between the two and also selectively downgrade kexts until we find the culprit.
I‘ve reverted back to 0.8.8 (backup EFI) for two of my Hackintoshes as the Designare acted weird:

- Kernel panic « sleep wake failure » followed by;
- the computer going to sleep then immediately waking up and so on… I had to completely cut the AC power (shutting off the power bar) , even after going back to old working state, to get rid of this behavior. Maybe this second « hiccup » isn’t even related to OC or the kexts but I don’t want to take a risk again.

The only things that were modified were OC 0.9.0 and the three most recent Lilu kexts.

as @CaseySJ said, better go back to the last functioning state and add items one by one.

In my case, I won’t move as 0.9.0 and the latest Lilu kexts aren’t addressing any known issues for me.

Well strangely enough that did not work. I replaced my entire EFI folder with my backed up 0.8.8 one and still the same issue although the issue never occurred prior to me updating to 0.9.0. This is an odd one.

Have you checked BIOS settings?

Back