Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Hi @CaseySJ,

Since my last post with my success with Bluetooth, nothing much changed. However, I've been having one problem. I'm not sure if it's related to Bluetooth or something else: When I'm away from the PC, it goes to sleep and most of the time it wakes no problem. But sometimes, it doesn't wake up and restarts itself to a screen giving an error that BIOS is not setup correctly or an error occurred and I have to either reset to optimized defaults or "Enter BIOS" and select a profile from there. After selecting the profile, it boots up correctly.

I never really experienced a problem because of this, mainly because luckily all these occasions happened when I wasn't doing any serious stuff with unsaved documents etc., but I feel like it's inevitable that in the near future I will lose some files because of this.

Do you have any idea why this problem may be happening? I'm not sure if it's related to any BIOS setting or OC configuration, or Bluetooth related. Any help would be much appreciated.

@echosat1

Are you using USBWakeFixup kext along with its companion SSDT named SSDT-USBW.aml? If so, please post just the SSDT.

Anyone else getting a pink screen on display wake?
Z390, 19,1, OC 087, Ventura, AMD Radeon RX 580 8 GB to Dell S3222DGM via HDMI that supports 8k. I haven't changed any settings. Everything is fine from a cable/mechanical POV.

Attachments

• Monitor.png
    Monitor.png
    67.3 KB · Views: 21
  • Energy.png
    Energy.png
    24.3 KB · Views: 22
  • Bluetooth is off.png
    Bluetooth is off.png
    15.6 KB · Views: 22
  • WiFi is off.png
    WiFi is off.png
    30.3 KB · Views: 20
  • More energy settings.png
    More energy settings.png
    102.6 KB · Views: 20
  • config.plist
    35.3 KB · Views: 14
Z390, 19,1, OC 087, Ventura, AMD Radeon RX 580 8 GB to Dell S3222DGM via HDMI that supports 8k. I haven't changed any settings. Everything is fine from a cable/mechanical POV.

Are you talking about the red rectangle that shows up sometimes framing the screen ?

Edit:

If yes to the above question, then I think its a Monterey/Ventura bug as I never had this issue with a red flash on Mojave under Clover or OpenCore

I can reliably reproduce this issue with iTerm if this setting is on in its prefs

"Visual bell flashes the whole screen, not just a bell icon"

Yes, it is extremely annoying at times, but atleast the frequency is now a lot less

Last edited:
I've only experienced pink screen issue on dvi-to-hdmi connection but not on display wake.

Do you use FCPX? if so, I suggest adding igfxfw or rps-control to your iGPU device property. With WhatEverGreen, Intel UHD-630 performance without one of these properties is awfully slow.

Also, try injecting Orinoco FrameBuffer for lower power consumption reading. It could possibly fix your pink screen issue as well.

Good questions. Before answering them I should say that the preferred Thunderbolt solution on Hackintosh is with a flashed GC-Titan Ridge from Gigabyte.
@CaseySJ whoah! Thank you so much for this detailed description! I already have a Titan Ridge from Gigabyte up and running, but because I have an Alpine Ridge to spare (and I love to tinker with electronics and to learn about computer science), I really want it to work after all. That's why I will try to go as far into new territory as possible to see whether I can make it work.

Issue 2: Finding the Thunderbolt hot-plug GPE or General Purpose Event handler
  • Thunderbolt methods include:
    • OSUP, TBFF, TSUB, TSUP, WSUB, WWAK, NTFY, GNIS, CHKP, etc.
  • Included in this set will be an edge-triggered or level-triggered event handler
    • Edge-triggered event handlers start with _E
    • Level-triggered event handlers start with _L

Whats strange is that what I believe to be the right _GPE for Thunderbolt does not seem to contain an edge- or level-triggered event handler. As most of the Thunderbolt methods line up, I guess I have the right _GPE set. Can you spot the edge- or level-triggered event handler? Or maybe, it really is not present and might be a problem with BIOS-config or Thunderbolt firmware?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-12-19 at 9.52.44 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-12-19 at 9.52.44 PM.png
    79.4 KB · Views: 16
@CaseySJ whoah! Thank you so much for this detailed description! I already have a Titan Ridge from Gigabyte up and running, but because I have an Alpine Ridge to spare (and I love to tinker with electronics and to learn about computer science), I really want it to work after all. That's why I will try to go as far into new territory as possible to see whether I can make it work.

Whats strange is that what I believe to be the right _GPE for Thunderbolt does not seem to contain an edge- or level-triggered event handler. As most of the Thunderbolt methods line up, I guess I have the right _GPE set. Can you spot the edge- or level-triggered event handler? Or maybe, it really is not present and might be a problem with BIOS-config or Thunderbolt firmware?
The alternative is to look at the implementation of all _L and _E handlers. Each handler should call a notify function either directly or indirectly by calling a different function that in turn calls notify. Then we simply look at the notify function call, which consists of 2 parameters:
  1. ACPI path of device to be notified
  2. Notification code 0, I believe, which is “Bus Check”
We look at parameter 1 (ACPI path). If that path points to the Thunderbolt device and notification code is 0, then that’s our event handler. Notification code 2 is for device wake. There are several other predefined notification codes in the ACPI Reference Guide. We’re looking for the code that initiates a “Bus Check”. I believe the code is 0, but I’m on vacation at the moment and far away from home…

Last edited:
Are you talking about the red rectangle that shows up sometimes framing the screen ?
No. This is about the entire display having a pink (magenta) tint upon waking from display sleep.

I've only experienced pink screen issue on dvi-to-hdmi connection but not on display wake.

Do you use FCPX? if so, I suggest adding igfxfw or rps-control to your iGPU device property. With WhatEverGreen, Intel UHD-630 performance without one of these properties is awfully slow.

Also, try injecting Orinoco FrameBuffer for lower power consumption reading. It could possibly fix your pink screen issue as well.
Thanks for the reply! So for Ventura, should I remove shikigva=80 igfxfw=2? Or can I just add "igfxrpsc=1" to boot-args?

Attachments

• boot-arrrrrgg.png
    boot-arrrrrgg.png
    49.5 KB · Views: 20
Back