Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Simply use Disk Utility to erase the non-working internal drive. Any name can be given during the erase process. I would use a name that doesn’t contain macOS version name or number. Double check everything before erasing the drive. You have quite a few SSDs, so extreme care must be taken to select the one to erase.

The external drive contains the working backup, right? We definitely don’t want to change anything on that drive. That drive is the life saver. We want to copy the contents of the backup disk to the internal disk.
OK, I have never done this before, so being super careful. Should I erase by selecting the Samsung Drive object? Should I erase selecting the Container disk4, or Big Sur? Does it matter?
I am assuming it erase the Big Sur internal disk

BTW, does the Carbon Copy Cloner restore work or should I stay away from that? (Just curious.)

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-08-05 at 9.12.17 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-08-05 at 9.12.17 PM.png
    159.3 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
OK, I have never done this before, so being super careful. Should I erase by selecting the Samsung Drive object? Should I erase selecting the Container disk4, or Big Sur? Does it matter?
I am assuming it erase the Big Sur internal disk
Yes we should select the parent name (the Samsung drive object) because the drive only contains one container with one installation of macOS (i.e. one APFS volume). However, copy the EFI folder to a USB flash disk or other safe place before erasing this disk. We’ll need to copy that EFI folder back to the EFI patriot of the internal drive.

BTW, does the Carbon Copy Cloner restore work or should I stay away from that?(Just curious)
I have not used the restore function myself. I would recommend creating a new backup task where:
  • SOURCE = external disk
  • DESTINATION = internal disk
But please follow the instructions in this post (Step 11) for setting “Legacy Bootable Backup”.

Got the firmware flashed and working successfully, woo! Looks like the HackinDROM website is down, sadly. So I will have to wait for it to come back up for the DROM piece but thanks for your help!
Congratulations! Did you flash the chip in-situ, or you had to remove motherboard from the chassis? Any issues reading the chip (attaching the clip)?

HackinDROM website is available; just checked a moment ago.

Last edited:
Congratulations! Did you flash the chip in-situ, or you had to remove motherboard from the chassis? Any issues getting reading the chip (attaching the clip)?

HackinDROM website is available; just checked a moment ago.
Yeah I had a bad link somehow, I got to it and got the DROM for my board. I took most of the peripherals out and disconnected from the motherboard as I needed to organize the case a bit anyways but did leave the board in the case. Once I had the right pinout from the Pi to the clip reading the chip and attaching the clip was straightforward, got it the first time!

I upgraded my hack from Big Sur to Monterey this afternoon. Now after I put the hack to sleep, and wake it up, Bluetooth uses 219% CPU. I did some searching, tried a couple of things, but I haven't found a remedy.
If I switch BT off/on with the slider, the CPU load is back to normal.
I have a compatible Broadcom card, and never had trouble before.
Suggestions?

I upgraded my hack from Big Sur to Monterey this afternoon. Now after I put the hack to sleep, and wake it up, Bluetooth uses 219% CPU. I did some searching, tried a couple of things, but I haven't found a remedy.
If I switch BT off/on with the slider, the CPU load is back to normal.
I have a compatible Broadcom card, and never had trouble before.
Suggestions?
If BlueToolFixup, BrcmFirmwareData and BrcmPatchRAM3 are enabled in the Kernel section of config.plist, try turning them all off.

Hm. I can't connect to my iPhone via BT at all. Airdrop from phone to Hack works fine.
Are you using a Fenvi FV-T919 or a Bluetooth USB dongle? If using a dongle, please let us know the make and model.

Yes we should select the parent name (the Samsung drive object) because the drive only contains one container with one installation of macOS (i.e. one APFS volume). However, copy the EFI folder to a USB flash disk or other safe place before erasing this disk. We’ll need to copy that EFI folder back to the EFI patriot of the internal drive.

I have not used the restore function myself. I would recommend creating a new backup task where:
  • SOURCE = external disk
  • DESTINATION = internal disk
But please follow the instructions in this post (Step 11) for setting “Legacy Bootable Backup”.
Hi @CaseySJ running into a problem when I try to restore. Thoughts? I am trying to restore the drive from my backup external drive. Followed instructions on erasing drive.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-08-06 at 10.05.17 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-08-06 at 10.05.17 PM.png
    47.9 KB · Views: 17
  • Screen Shot 2022-08-06 at 10.07.47 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-08-06 at 10.07.47 PM.png
    200 KB · Views: 16
Back