Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Cold start works as expected.
Using the Restart command from OSX causes a hang on the Gigabyte BIOS screen.
Selecting Windows 10 from Startup Disk and restarting works as expected.
Selecting OSX from boot camp assistant and restarting causes a hang on the bios screen.

I just noticed that there's an APPLE folder in my EFI with a folder called FIRMWARE and UPDATERS. Do you think that could be causing the issues? Should I delete that?

The issue I'm facing is if I restart my computer from OSX my computer hangs on the Gigabyte BIOS screen and never loads the OC boot picker. If I restart from OSX in to Windows it works as expected. If I restart from Windows to OSX it works as expected with a long boot time.

I uploaded my original working EFI and my upgraded EFI.
If your Nvidia GPU is still installed in Slot 1, then please see screenshots:
Screenshot 2022-08-01 at 8.39.16 AM.png
Screenshot 2022-08-01 at 8.38.13 AM.png

Depending on your setup you can disable HS12(F_USB) or SS01(F_USB3.1_C) then enable one of HS01(F_USB2.0_C), HS08 (Real USB2.0_C), or HS13(Real USB2.0_C).

Attached USBPorts.kext disables SS01 and enables HS08(First Thunderbolt port on rear panel).
Works on iMacPro1,1 or iMac19,1 SMBIOS
Thanks for this.

@brousseau6933 thank you for these diagrams and all your input, perfect. My case does have a USB-C on the front but it doesn't work.. I've got the scarlett working simply by plugging it into a USB A port with an adapter cable. Functional but I do need those extra ports.

Was there always a 15 port limit on macOS or is this new?? I had no issues with any ports on my previous set-up using all the same build hardware.

If your Nvidia GPU is still installed in Slot 1, then please see screenshots:
View attachment 552407View attachment 552408
I was going to be SOOOOO happy if that was the only thing that I had missed. Sadly that didn't fix it.
I tried removing the APPLE folder from my EFI hoping that might help, but it didn't.

Are there any debug options I can enable to help diagnose it?

I was going to be SOOOOO happy if that was the only thing that I had missed. Sadly that didn't fix it.
I tried removing the APPLE folder from my EFI hoping that might help, but it didn't.

Are there any debug options I can enable to help diagnose it?
One more easy experiment is to shutdown the system, disconnect the VGA power cables from NVidia GPU, the boot up and see if shutdown works from macOS.

Depending on your setup you can disable HS12(F_USB) or SS01(F_USB3.1_C) then enable one of HS01(F_USB2.0_C), HS08 (Real USB2.0_C), or HS13(Real USB2.0_C).

Attached USBPorts.kext disables SS01 and enables HS08(First Thunderbolt port on rear panel).
Works on iMacPro1,1 or iMac19,1 SMBIOS
:) thanks for this

Thank you so much for this guide - I’ve been using this hack since 2019 with no problems. The main difference in my build is that I’m using a AMD Radeon RX570.

I used your guide to change from Clover to OC. It took me a couple of tries but now I am able to boot with an OC EFI from a thumb drive. There’s one hitch: after selecting the system drive (Mojave) I get the Apple logo then the screen goes black. But there is a roundabout solution:

I have my Mac set to boot to the login screen for security reasons. Even though the screen is black if I login blindly (enter user name, type password, enter) my monitors comes to life and I’m at the login screen again. I login again and everything works perfectly.

I’ve reset the NVRAM from the OC picker multiple times with no luck. In my previous attempt at a OC conversion I had the same problem when i reverted back to booting with Clover (black login screen after apple logo) which i remedied by resetting the NVRAM from OC then booting into Clover. The same remedy doesn’t work in this case.

Any suggestions?

Last edited:
** OpenCore 0.8.3 was released 12 hours ago. **
HackinDROM should be able to perform the upgrade.​

Thank you so much for this guide - I’ve been using this hack since 2019 with no problems. The main difference in my build is that I’m using a AMD Radeon RX570.

I used your guide to change from Clover to OC. It took me a couple of tries but now I am able to boot with an OC EFI from a thumb drive. There’s one hitch: after selecting the system drive (Mojave) I get the Apple logo then the screen goes black. But there is a roundabout solution:

I have my Mac set to boot to the login screen for security reasons. Even though the screen is black if I login blindly (enter user name, type password, enter) my monitors comes to life and I’m at the login screen again. I login again and everything works perfectly.

I’ve reset the NVRAM from the OC picker multiple times with no luck. In my previous attempt at a OC conversion I had the same problem when i reverted back to booting with Clover (black login screen after apple logo) which i remedied by resetting the NVRAM from OC then booting into Clover. The same remedy doesn’t work in this case.

Any suggestions?
Hello @cshaw340,

I should start by saying that such boot-to-black issues can be very tricky to resolve. Sometimes we resort to performing a fresh install and migrating or reinstalling our apps. But before we consider anything that drastic, let’s get some background:
  • What is the make/model of your monitor?
  • Are you using straight HDMI to HDMI cable? Or straight DP to DP cable?
  • Which version of OpenCore are you on? If you look at bottom right corner of OpenCore boot picker you will see the REL or release number.
  • Are you using only one monitor or multiple monitors?

I have two monitors attached:
Primary - Acer S241HL connected via HDMI (also works witht HDMI to DVI cable)
Secondary - Samsung SMB2030 Connected via DVI port to DVI connector

OC version REL-0832022-07-13

Back