Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Hello @shubckin,

Unfortunately we cannot use these utilities in Windows to flash a modified Thunderbolt firmware. As you can see in the screenshot, it says new NVM version will be 00.00, but this is not correct. The new NVM is actually 33.

It is actually not necessary to flash or modify the Thunderbolt firmware because your Thunderbolt Audio Interface already worked before in Mojave and Catalina.

In Monterey we may need to enable Apple VTD, which is explained in the OpenCore 0.7.8 Mini-Guide (see Quick Reference Spoiler section 1 at the top of Post 1). But a few others have also reported connection problems in Monterey, so maybe there's a bigger issue. But first try enabling Apple VTD.
You are god! Thank you. It works! So much time I wasted. Thank you so much.
So for Google: guys, if someone has Presonus Quantum Thunderbolt audio interface in Monterey, you should enable Apple VTD like CaseySJ said!

Or something like this tool :
  1. rename your BIN firmware file to chip2_Fw.dat
  2. Replace the current chip2_Fw.dat file already on directory (null file)
  3. Edit TbtFwUpdate.exe.config to adapt it to your controller :
    • <Chip srcFwName="chip2_Fw.dat" vid="8086" pid="15EB" targetNVMVersion="33" />
  4. and hope that is work under Windows :shifty:
Be CAREFULY by always having an external Programmer ready to flash back to Original firmware ;)
@CaseySJ that's the tool right?

Yes I believe that’s the one.
Did anyone have success while using this to flash original dumped firmware to this motherboard?

Update: After trying the tool, it mentioned that the thunderbolt device was not found, so I installed the thunderbolt driver from Gigabyte and after reboot I get BSODs now. I wonder if the driver is refusing the patched firmware?

Update 2: I thought it would be better if I manually flash the original firmware. After flashing, thunderbolt ports are detected in Windows again.

It was one of the most reliable systems I have ever used, but it's time to move on. Special thanks to @CaseySJ and everyone who helped make this build better.

Last edited:
Does anyone else have issues with shutdown when there's a USB-C device connected? I'm just getting restarts. I'm wondering if there's a fix for that ?

Hello everyone! I have the Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i9 9900 + RadeonVII.
I was running Big Sur with everything working, and I recently decided to update to Monterey.

First I tried to follow the OpenCore upgrade guide to install the latest version (I was on 0.6.3) but I could not get it to boot. Next I found the OpenCore 0.7.8 EFI folder posted in this thread (thank you, very grateful for this resource!), and it booted but I found that only one of my Thunderbolt ports is working.

I tried upgrading with HackinDROM to OC 0.7.9 from the 0.7.8 EFI _and_ also upgrading from my 0.6.3 EFI (which was working well in Big Sur) but the problem of one Thunderbolt port not working remains.

The odd thing is that both ports work before the OC bootloader runs. (I can use a mouse and keyboard plugged into the Thunderbolt port to select the OC options before booting.)

Another, I think related issue, is my Presonus Quantum audio interface (connected via Thunderbolt adapter) is stuttering with this new upgrade.

I would greatly appreciate any advice or pointers. Thank you for your help!

hi guys, built this build a couple of years ago. Ive just bought a new audio interface, SSL 2+ and its not picking up via the USB C. I do believe the ports were working with TB3 interface i tested a couple of years back. The audio interface is getting power, but not coming up.

How can I fix this?
(Im not a hackingtosh expert, so will need some good instructions please)

Thanks to any one that can help.

View attachment 544793

Hi @CaseySJ, any chance you can help with my question please? Not sure why device is not working on my Hack but fully operational on my MacBook Air with USB C. thanks a lot!

Hi @CaseySJ, any chance you can help with my question please? Not sure why device is not working on my Hack but fully operational on my MacBook Air with USB C. thanks a lot!
Hello @gundogg9999,

The Solid State Logic SSL 2+ uses a USB-C connector running the USB 2.0 protocol. On the Designare Z390 we have disabled USB 2.0 protocol on both of the rear panel Thunderbolt/USB-C ports in order to avoid exceeding 15 USB ports.
  • Does your computer have a front panel USB-C port? If so, have you tried connecting the SSL 2+ to that port?
We can also modify the USB port map to enable USB 2.0 on one or both of the Thunderbolt ports, but we will need to disable USB 2.0 on some other ports in order once again to stay within the 15 port limit. Is this something you're interested in?

Screen Shot 2022-03-29 at 1.47.58 PM.png

Hello everyone! I have the Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i9 9900 + RadeonVII.
I was running Big Sur with everything working, and I recently decided to update to Monterey.

First I tried to follow the OpenCore upgrade guide to install the latest version (I was on 0.6.3) but I could not get it to boot. Next I found the OpenCore 0.7.8 EFI folder posted in this thread (thank you, very grateful for this resource!), and it booted but I found that only one of my Thunderbolt ports is working.

I tried upgrading with HackinDROM to OC 0.7.9 from the 0.7.8 EFI _and_ also upgrading from my 0.6.3 EFI (which was working well in Big Sur) but the problem of one Thunderbolt port not working remains.

The odd thing is that both ports work before the OC bootloader runs. (I can use a mouse and keyboard plugged into the Thunderbolt port to select the OC options before booting.)

Another, I think related issue, is my Presonus Quantum audio interface (connected via Thunderbolt adapter) is stuttering with this new upgrade.

I would greatly appreciate any advice or pointers. Thank you for your help!
Hello @fvlasie,

Some questions:
  • Which Thunderbolt devices are you using?
  • Were you able to connect a Thunderbolt device to both Thunderbolt ports in Big Sur without any problem?
  • Which version of BIOS are you using?
  • Were you using the same version of BIOS in Big Sur?
  • In BIOS, have you tried setting "Thunderbolt --> Thunderbolt Boot Support" to "Boot Once"?

Back