Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Hi @Lukey1979 thanks for this. I just had to edit some minor parts in config.plist but it worked flawlessly. Awesome stuff! I already updated to the latest Safari before I even used your EFI and I'm actually even surprised that Netflix worked for you as I never got it to work like ever. So even now, it didn't. Haha. Please do let us know if you got it working again.

The Aquantia port worked OOTB for me but my Fenvi Bluetooth/USB issue still persists--where all bluetooth/USB devices will just randomly freeze and I'd have to Screen Share access my Hack to restart it. Have you ever had that issue?

Lastly, the OC picker looks weird yeah but I'm least bothered by it. Haha
Hi jdapolo,

I'm glad it all worked. :) I've never had any major issues with USB devices, occasionally one may fail to initialize on boot but that's not very often. I do however struggle with weak Bluetooth signal and using Bluetooth earphones can be very flakey. There is a thread somewhere that explains what may cause that (Has something to do with 5GHz WiFi interfering with the signal)

Fingers crossed my Aquantia port starts working again on the next OC update. Now that I've found someone with the same system stats it will be good to troubleshoot together :)

Hello @ollyj,

To update from 10.15 to 10.15.6 we should do the following:
  • Make a full bootable backup of 10.15 and test the bootable back to ensure it works.
  • Then set it aside and:
    • Install BIOS F9g from the second red box. When you do this, your MSR 0xE2 (CFG-Lock) will be unlocked by default, which means you can skip any instructions for unlocking MSR 0xE2.
    • Upgrade to 10.15.6 from the third red box.
You'll find all links in the Quick Reference spoiler at the top of Post #1.

View attachment 488778
Thanks @CaseySJ, had issues with bios after flashing, needed to do CMOS reset, and save new profile. Works super smoothly thanks!

Booting from the backup won't fix the main macOS SSD, but it will tell us whether the hardware is still okay. It can also tell us if the main macOS SSD has become corrupted.

If the main macOS SSD is corrupted, you can sill do this:
  • You can still boot from the backup.
  • You can then copy all your Documents, Downloads, Pictures, etc. to the backup disk manually with Finder. Do not use Carbon Copy Cloner for this.
  • Once you are convinced that the backupdisk has everything you need, then you can do the following:
    • Buy a third disk and clone the internal macOS SSD to this third disk just as a safety net.
    • Then clone the backup disk to the main macOS SSD.
    • Now boot from the main macOS SSD.
For my primary Hackintosh, I actually keep two bootable backup disks.

Hello is there a guide somewhere to copy and reinstall macOs from the Backup disk we created from CarbonCopy ?
The one that exists only seems to guide you to copy your actual system to the backup.

Thank you

Hello is there a guide somewhere to copy and reinstall macOs from the Backup disk we created from CarbonCopy ?
The one that exists only seems to guide you to copy your actual system to the backup.

Thank you

@Bobby22

If you have successfully made the two clones of your primary SSD using Carbon Copy Cloner (CCC) as CaseySJ recommended, then you already know how to clone disks with CCC.

Its just a matter of setting up a new task in CCC specifying which is the disk you want to use to clone from and which disk you want to clone to.

Now all you have to do is boot from your backup disk that you have copied all your Documents, Downloads, Pictures, etc, plus a copy of Carbon Copy Cloner to. Use the F12 key at startup and select your backup disk to boot from.

Once booted from your backup, disk which now contains all your important files, and you have two other clones of your original primary disk, you are ready to clone all your backup disk contents to your primary disk.

At this point you should reformat to erase your primary disk using Disk Utility. You will also need to copy the EFI folder from your backup disk to your newly formatted primary disk.

Now use CCC to clone your backup disk (which you are booted into) to your now empty primary disk. This is just like you did when you created the clones of your original primary disk to make your backups. You will have to set up CCC with a new "Task" being sure you clone all contents from your backup disk to your empty primary disk.

Once Carbon Copy Cloner has completed the clone, you should now be able to reboot to the newly cloned primary disk which should be an exact copy of your backup disk.

If you don't understand these directions, then DON"T USE THEM. DON'T HOLD ME RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY RESULTING DISASTERS!!!!

@CaseySJ

May be a dumb question,
I have flashed thunderbolt 3.0 card using this CH341A 24 will that make any difference? but the card working fine except the issues I have explained in my previous post.

@CaseySJ - Would it be possible to get some help on updating this build to the latest OC? I saw the Z490 page has it but the attached files are for the Vision. Since many are on the Designare still I was hoping we could have something similar. Thanks for all your great help.

An area for moderators is now available on HackinDROM
You can very easy add new config.plist and Thunderbolt SSDT to the database and make them available for everyone.

Notes:
for CopyConfig actually only OpenCore config.plist is supported.
for HackiASL you can upload .DSL or .AML files
Your username will be added to the file name.
Only you can manipulate your own files.
After uploading you must enable the file from dropdown list to make it visible in main page.

@CaseySJ I ill send you your account data by private message.

@Stork @pastrychef and others if you want to upload your files to HackinDROM please let me know by message ill create accounts for you.
Screenshot 2020-09-22 at 20.19.40.png

Last edited:
Hi @CaseySJ

I have two issues with flashed thunderbolt 3.0 card.

I have flashed Gigabyte GC-Titan Ridge V1.0 thunderbolt 3.0 with your patched firmware(V1 .bin). on Gigabyte Z390 D motherboard it works well but cant shut down as system keeps restarting. if I remove thunderbolt card then system shuts down without any issues. the card seems working fine without having any issues. the only thing is I have to do warm booting to enable thunderbolt devices.
Hello @sjoseph,
  • Are you running Mojave or Catalina on the Z4390D?
    • Which version of Mojave or Catalina?
  • Have you enabled native NVRAM on the Z390D?
    • It's easy to enable native NVRAM using "CFGLock.efi". If you tell me whether you're using Clover or OpenCore, I can tell you how to do this.
  • Are you using Clover or OpenCore on the Z390D?
  • When you configured BIOS, did you start with F7 (Load Optimized Defaults)?
  • Is BIOS --> CSM Support enabled or disabled? Have you tried both 'enabled' and 'disabled' to see if that makes any difference?
I have also tested the same flashed card with my Asus X299 TUF mark 2 motherboard. on this motherboard it boots fine system shuts down fine but if I try to connect any thunderbolt 3.0 devices when the system is on then it will freeze. But I also noticed that if I do thunderbolt 3.0 devices connected while system boots then thunderbolt devices detects fine and I can do hot plugging as well, No freeze or hang problems at all. the port 7 is also working fine / populated.
What happens if you boot the Asus X299 system without Thunderbolt devices connected, then do a Reboot (i.e. a warm boot), then log back in, and then hot-plug a Thunderbolt device. Does it still freeze?
Hi CaseySJ

Thank you for the reply,
  • I Have Mojave and Catalina installed on different systems. Yes I have connected THB_C on both motherboards I also tried without it as well.
  • On Gigabyte Z390D I have installed thunderbolt card on to second (middle/PCIe 2) slot. this system has got i9 9900K CPU
  • On X299 ASUS TUF Mark 2 motherboard I have tried PCIe 2 and PCIe 3 slots. On this system thunderbolt card works fine but on first boot if I do not connect thunderbolt and if I connect after system powered on then system freeze and I have to force restart. But if I connected thunderbolt devices on boot then there is no problem with the thunderbolt and is perfectly working fine including hotplug. this system uses i9 10940X CPU. BIOS version is 3105
@CaseySJ

May be a dumb question,
I have flashed thunderbolt 3.0 card using this CH341A 24 will that make any difference? but the card working fine except the issues I have explained in my previous post.
Although the CH341a in your link outputs 5V on Vcc, it is still okay. We should use either (a) Raspberry Pi or (b) the US$10.00 Arcelli CH341a.

@CaseySJ - Would it be possible to get some help on updating this build to the latest OC? I saw the Z490 page has it but the attached files are for the Vision. Since many are on the Designare still I was hoping we could have something similar. Thanks for all your great help.
We have the two guides in red below:
  • First red box is for new installations of Catalina using OpenCore 0.6.1
  • Second red box is for upgrading from previous OpenCore to OpenCore 0.6.1
Screen Shot 2020-09-22 at 11.54.10 AM.png

Back