Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Hi Casey,
Thank you again for your input and help in this post.
Today I upgraded the bios and problem occurred........
Before updating the bios, my ultrafine works fine with flashed ROM(Gigabyte extreme) and appropriate SSDT.
All I need to do is cold boot into MacOS, then do a warm reboot into MacOS again and replug the Ultrafine 5K. Then everything is working properly including USB-related devices.
However, after the bios update, the SSDT doesn't work anymore. Usually when I reboot to MacOS and open IORegistry, I can see the thunderbolt device name be changed by SSDT, but now it didn't.
Do you know what cause this problem and any possible method?
Thank you so much!
Some immediate comments:
  • After updating the BIOS, remember to configure BIOS parameters again, starting with Load Optimized Defaults.
  • Also set:
    • BIOS --> Thunderbolt --> Enabled
    • BIOS --> Thunderbolt Security --> No Security
    • BIOS --> Thunderbolt --> GPIO3 Force Pwr --> Enabled
  • If the problem still occurs, run IORegistryExplorer, select File --> Save As..., and post the saved file.

What sort of boot times are you all getting. My rig is about 2mins from power button push to the login screen. Is this expected?

Hi folks/Casey,

Since I've been unable to get the iGPU HDMI working past 10.15.3, I purchased a cheap RX550 (Sapphire Pulse). I have it working with a single monitor fine, but I can't get dual monitors functioning. All three ports on the RX550 will work (DVI, HDMI or DP) but only one at a time will work - and this sin't restricted to mac osx - even with the BIOS "initial display output" set to slot 2 (where the card is) the BIOS only ever appears on one monitor, then OS X will only boot with one monitor. When I use the iGPU, the BIOS displays on both monitors (one HDMI and one USB-C to DP).

Does anyone have any clues or ideas that might help me get both monitors working?
The BIOS image will typically appear on one monitor only.

When macOS starts up, are both monitors activated properly?

Hi @casey,

I bought a X299 Designare, do you think it's possible to modified the TB3 firmware and make it like Z390 Deisgnare?
  • If you purchased the X299X Designare, we know that NVM 33 from Z390 Designare works well.
  • If you purchased the X299 Designare (not X299X), we must first check if it uses Titan Ridge instead of Alpine Ridge.
    • To check this, simply run Hackintool and click the PCIe page.
    • Then look for JHL 6540 (Alpine) or JHL 7540 (Titan)

What sort of boot times are you all getting. My rig is about 2mins from power button push to the login screen. Is this expected?
Can you please break this down as follows:
  • Time from pushing power button to Clover or OpenCore menu.
  • Time from Clover or OpenCore to macOS login screen.
Additional questions:
  • Are you using SATA SSD or PCIe NVMe SSD?
  • How full is the SSD? (Finder --> Select SSD Disk Icon --> Get Info)
  • Do you have any Thunderbolt devices connected?

I have the X299 Designare (not X299X). Can I directly extract firmware or I have to boot into the system and find out TR/AR?

• If you purchased the X299X Designare, we know that NVM 33 from Z390 Designare works well.
  • If you purchased the X299 Designare (not X299X), we must first check if it uses Titan Ridge instead of Alpine Ridge.
    • To check this, simply run Hackintool and click the PCIe page.
    • Then look for JHL 6540 (Alpine) or JHL 7540 (Titan)

Some immediate comments:
  • After updating the BIOS, remember to configure BIOS parameters again, starting with Load Optimized Defaults.
  • Also set:
    • BIOS --> Thunderbolt --> Enabled
    • BIOS --> Thunderbolt Security --> No Security
    • BIOS --> Thunderbolt --> GPIO3 Force Pwr --> Enabled
  • If the problem still occurs, run IORegistryExplorer, select File --> Save As..., and post the saved file.
It's a X570 so there're no TB related options in BIOS. Also I applied the saved bios settings.

Attachments

• 1st cold boot.ioreg
    16.7 MB · Views: 44
  • 2nd warm reboot.ioreg
    16.7 MB · Views: 39
  • SSDT-DTPG.aml
    100 bytes · Views: 53
  • SSDT-TBOLT3.aml
    2.1 KB · Views: 52
Some things to check:
  • Clover: If using OcQuirks-4/FwRuntimeServices or OcQuirks/OpenRuntime, we should remove slide=0 from Boot Arguments
  • If using SMBIOS iMacPro1,1, try setting BIOS --> Internal Graphics --> Disabled. If it's already Disabled, change to Enabled.
  • Mojave with Clover: If using OcQuirks-4/FwRuntimeServices, try switching to OcQuirks/OpenRuntime. This is located in the OpenCore Mini-Guide (see top of Quick Reference spoiler in Post 1).
  • Enable verbose mode by adding -v to Boot Arguments. Leave it in Verbose mode for a couple of weeks. Now you won't see the Prohibited Sign, but you'll see where the boot log freezes. Take photo.
  • Perform CMOS Reset and configure BIOS parameters again, starting always with F7 (Load Optimized Defaults).
No problem with Prohibited Sign but should I remove the slide=0 me too? Running Clover, iMacPro SMBIOS, OCQuirks-4 and Mojave.

Thanks,

Patrice

Some things to check:

• Mojave with Clover: If using OcQuirks-4/FwRuntimeServices, try switching to OcQuirks/OpenRuntime. This is located in the OpenCore Mini-Guide (see top of Quick Reference spoiler in Post 1).

Uh. Don't see these 2 files in the Guide? Find comes up with nothing?
Disabling CSM, is that important?
And XHCI handoff? What's that for?

Never mind. Installed OcQuirks/OpenRuntime via Clover Configurator(and removing OcQuirks-4/FwRuntimeServices by hand). Let's see what it brings.

Back