Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Hello @CaseySJ, I did a fresh install of 10.15.4 following your guide and I just realised that Safari is not playing YouTube videos. Is this a known issue?

Hello @CaseySJ, I did a fresh install of 10.15.4 following your guide and I just realised that Safari is not playing YouTube videos. Is this a known issue?
Hello @nifranza,

This would be unusual because Safari and YouTube have always been compatible.
  • Do you see an error message?
  • Do all YouTube videos fail or only some?
  • Do videos play back on other services (Vimeo, Netflix, Amazon Prime, etc.)?
  • Is shikigva set to either 16 or 80?
  • Is shiki-id deleted? It's not needed if using latest version of WhateverGreen.

Reading about the upcoming AMD Radeon Pro VII, just curious what the experts here think about this GPU for Adobe editing or just Mac editing in general? The big jump appears to be in double precision processing. It does have faster memory. Any thoughts on when it would receive MacOS support?

Last edited:
I just placed an order for this card. Should be here Monday. I'll report back!

CC: @mobi , @ziggenpuss , @bmoney , @jleahy2 , @brousseau6933 and @CaseySJ

So the Inateck card has arrived and been installed, and I *think* I might have found my problem. With my two Dell U2515 USB 3.0 hubs plugged in to the card POST takes ages (1-2 minutes) and then I get immediate intermittent USB freezes on the BIOS/OC boot screen, and then macOS wouldn't boot. With one hub disconnected POST is normal, OC is normal and macOS boot is normal. Going to have to use the system for a while to say that this is definitive, but it looks like my issue is/was a defective USB hub. Very strange that the hub would boot normally and work normally (for a while at least) while connected to the mobo USB ports, and why it would not work at all when connected to the Inateck card - maybe @CaseySJ can throw some light on why that might be?

I'll report back if anything changes, but for the moment things are looking positive...

CC: @mobi , @ziggenpuss , @bmoney , @jleahy2 , @brousseau6933 and @CaseySJ

So the Inateck card has arrived and been installed, and I *think* I might have found my problem. With my two Dell U2515 USB 3.0 hubs plugged in to the card POST takes ages (1-2 minutes) and then I get immediate intermittent USB freezes on the BIOS/OC boot screen, and then macOS wouldn't boot. With one hub disconnected POST is normal, OC is normal and macOS boot is normal. Going to have to use the system for a while to say that this is definitive, but it looks like my issue is/was a defective USB hub. Very strange that the hub would boot normally and work normally (for a while at least) while connected to the mobo USB ports, and why it would not work at all when connected to the Inateck card - maybe @CaseySJ can throw some light on why that might be?

I'll report back if anything changes, but for the moment things are looking positive...
This is encouraging, but the tide can turn quickly in matters like these. We need to wait a few days. This does not explain why others are having USB stability problems., but hopefully we'll be able to shed more light on this as others use the Inatek.

I am really surprised that so many are having issues with USB. I run Motu M4 USB-C audio interface and Caldigit Thunderbolt dock, Camlink 4K dongle, a number of external SSD, internal M.2, with Radeon VII, Rode NTG mic, Fuji XH-2 connected for video conferencing, and have never had issues with freezing, instability. I run Logic Pro, Ableton Live, Final Cut Pro, OBS all day long and not once the machine froze on me. Just for testing purpose, I unplugged all the devices, connected them directly to the machine's USB on the back and front, and still ran flawlessly. I am wondering if it may be worthwhile to try opencore install for those who are on Clover before purchasing new peripherals to solve this issue. I did create my custom SSDTs in windows and mapped all my USB ports I need. The only thing I had to add in the config.plist was shikigva=80 for DRM fix.

I did use ASUS ROG Strix gaming which is well-known great Hackintosh MB, but had the similar USB freezing issues, and other stability hiccups. I had not mapped USB at the time, and used the generic SSDT code for coffee lake provided in the guide instead of creating my own. Perhaps it wasn't the motherboard, but the boot environment that was causing instability.

Sharing this to give some hope to those who are wrestling with the issue. It may not be hardware issue after all.

Just a report on multiple monitors over TB. I am still running patched NVM50 on my GC-Titan Ridge. I believe that I have found a configuration that consistently works and supports 3 monitors. I've been doing a lot of flight simming lately, and I really wanted to get a wrap around effect.:)

This configuration has survived weeks of testing:
ACER HD Monitor (HDMI)
LG-UHD (DP)
LG-4K UltraFine (TB3)
CalDigit-TS3 Plus Dock

I'm running 1 DP from the GPU (closest to HDMI) to LG-UHD (DP). Next, 2 DP's from the GPU (last remaining) connected to the DP in's on the GC-Titan Ridge card. Next, TB3 from port #1 of GC-Titan Ridge to the TS3 Plus dock. Then loop TB3 cable out of the dock to the TB3 of LG-UltraFine monitor. And finally, TB3 out of the Ultrafine monitor to the ACER HD monitor (via Belkin USBC to HDMI converter).

I have tried different configurations using both TB3 ports from the GC-Titan Ridge. So far, port #2 does not like monitors. I can get it to work for a single boot, but then it will not survive a restart. Other than video, TB3 port #2 works for everything else I have tried on it (TB1/2 SSD's via Apple adapter and TS3 Plus dock). The above config is giving me the best results surviving cold boots, warm boots, cable disconnects- so far... stable, for two weeks.

While this isn't an ideal configuration for me personally, I actually think that this configuration is more stable than just two monitors, which seems crazy to me. The only way I could get dual monitors to work with the two 4K displays was to connect the UHD (DP) to the (DP-Out) on the GC-Titan Ridge.

So the limitations that are consistent on this MB (z390 Aorus Master) and GC-Titan Ridge (Patched NVM50) are:
  • I must have a DP monitor plugged into the GC-Titan Ridge directly (DP-Out) for the computer to post.
  • Or I must have one monitor connected to the GPU directly (either DP or HDMI) for the computer to post.
I'm not sure I understand it, but this is what I am experiencing!

3 Monitors.jpg

Reading about the upcoming AMD Radeon Pro VII, just curious what the experts here think about this GPU for Adobe editing or just Mac editing in general? The big jump appears to be in double precision processing. It does have faster memory. Any thoughts on when it would receive MacOS support?
Radeon VII pro is exactly the same as the R VII except it has infinity fabric interconnect which requires software support to connect multiple cards together and it has DP FP64 unlocked so that it does FP64 at half rate instead of 1/4 rate. It might work with the existing drivers if you spoof the ID. It'd be a lot cheaper just to pick up an R VII. Vega 20 is two years old now and it seems like Navi is the way forward.

Back