Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

This issue confused me for a while as well. I was somewhat disappointed to learn that most USB Type C cables do not support the higher transmission speeds of USB 3.x.

There's an important distinction between connector type and transmission protocol. The physical connector type such as USB-C supports several transmission protocols, including:
  • USB 1.x
  • USB 2.x
  • USB 3.x
  • Thunderbolt 3 (but this connector also has a "lightning" logo)
Whenever we look at a USB Type C cable, we assume it must support USB 3.x. That's what I thought for a long time, but it's false!

If you look at an HDMI connector, for example, you already know that some HDMI cables only support HDMI 1.4 and others are certified for HDMI 2.0. The same is true for DisplayPort. The physical connector looks the same, but we have DisplayPort 1.1, 1.2, and 1.4. Not all DisplayPort cables support all three of these transmission protocols even though the cables (the connectors) look the same.

So although your cable has a USB Type C connector on it, it might not support USB 3.x. How to tell? Easy... just do this:
  • Connect your LaCie drive to a real Mac using the USB-C cable that came with the drive
  • Run IORegistryExplorer on the real Mac
  • Is the LaCie drive connected to a HSxx port or a SSxx port?

Both of my drives were using USB 3.1 ports?
Didn't see any HSxx but one of my Lacie2TB drives was using SSxx. So the solution here is to get a true thunderbolt cable or TB3 dock?

Attachments

• OptimusIO.png
    OptimusIO.png
    665.1 KB · Views: 50
  • Rugged Lacie IO.png
    Rugged Lacie IO.png
    546 KB · Views: 46
  • Rugged Lacie SysR.png
    Rugged Lacie SysR.png
    341.7 KB · Views: 43
  • Screen Shot 2020-06-26 at 12.25.51 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-06-26 at 12.25.51 PM.png
    329.2 KB · Views: 48
The inevitable has happened and I've had two freezes today. Haven't changed any devices. It's been stable for well over a month.

First time, loaded a web page in Safari, the background image was a video, there was a graphical glitch and it froze.

Second time, was rendering something out of Blender using AMD ProRender, which uses the GPU. No graphical glitch but it froze. No DAWs were open.

Both times my trackpad and trackball (both bluetooth, the trackball with its own dongle, trackpad on the Fenvi) carried on moving, but not clicking, for a few minutes before it all froze. I'm on a Vega 56.

Both of my drives were using USB 3.1 ports?
Didn't see any HSxx but one of my Lacie2TB drives was using SSxx. So the solution here is to get a true thunderbolt cable or TB3 dock?
Because the LaCie 2TB was using SSxx, it supports USB 3.x.
  • All Thunderbolt 3 cables support USB 3.x.
  • But we don't necessarily need to use Thunderbolt 3 cables on non-Thunderbolt devices.
  • On plain USB-C devices, we can use a USB-C cable that is certified for USB 3.x protocol such as the one linked below.
  • There's no harm using a Thunderbolt 3 cable on a plain USB-C device, but those cables are more expensive, especially when they're longer than about 18 inches.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07MW1ZWP6/?tag=tonymacx86com-20

Last edited:
CONFIRMED: It works.

Installed the Inatek 4-port USB 3.x PCIe card into the Designare Z390 running Catalina 10.15.5 and can confirm that it works just fine:

I just placed an order for this card. Should be here Monday. I'll report back!

Yes, you’re right, sorry!

As a side note, I tried to PM @NoiseCoalition as it looks it’s the only DAW user and Designare owner not affected by this USB bug... However, he was last seen a long time ago in this thread if I’m not mistaken...

**Edit: last seen in May but in October 2019, his machine was rock stable:

However, if he could chime in and share his successful recipe, it would be wonderful!

Patrice

He mostly (or exclusively?) uses Thunderbolt audio interfaces.

@brousseau6933 @CaseySJ

Hey! I haven't had any USB problems but I also don't use USB for recording — only to control hardware, attached external drives, etc. I use a RME HDSPe MADI as my connection from converter to computer, which is a PCIe Card. I'll outline my setup below and maybe it'll shed some light. That Github link is very old. I should remove.

Orion 32 HD > MADI > RME HDSPe Madi > Computer (Using USB to control the Antelope software but not for audio)
UAD Apollo x8p > ADAT > Orion 32 HD > RME HDSPe Madi > Computer (Using TB3 to control UAD Console)

Mojave 10.14.6
Bios F8
SMBIOS 19,1

UEFI Folder
Screenshot 2020-06-26 11.30.59.png

Kexts (WEG, LILU, AppleALC in L/E)
Screenshot 2020-06-26 11.32.13.png

Config.plist attached (serials removed)

Hope that helps!

Attachments

• config.plist
    7.7 KB · Views: 78
Because the LaCie 2TB was using SSxx, it supports USB 3.x.
  • All Thunderbolt 3 cables support USB 3.x.
  • But we don't necessarily need to use Thunderbolt 3 cables on non-Thunderbolt devices.
  • On plain USB-C devices, we can use a USB-C cable that is certified for USB 3.x protocol such as the one linked below.
  • There's no harm using a Thunderbolt 3 cable on a plain USB-C device, but those cables are more expensive, especially when they're longer than about 18 inches.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07MW1ZWP6/?tag=tonymacx86com-20

Regarding the Z390 Designare MB though, I would need to use a TB3 cable like the one you linked?

I'm just finding it odd it won't show up on my hackintosh system if the 2TB drive is using the supported port. How about the 4TB drive? Same as the 2TB?

Oh, man. page 2309?? No doubt this has been a good and super-useful thread...

I am about to replace my crazy-old but still-working-well Z77-DS3H + i7-2700k cpu hackintosh running Mojave. I want to build a new hackintosh before non-intel cpus are a real world thing. I have no interest (at this time) in moving beyond Mojave 10.14.6 as I still need to run 32 bit code, largely for an old version photoshop and associated plugins.

I am planning to order the Z390 Designare and i9-9900k. I do not currently have a need for ThunderBolt but like the idea of having it available as this may be my last mac for some years and I'd like it to be as feature complete as possible.

My question is:
Is there a good reason to skip this Z390/9900k setup and instead go for a Z490 and a 10 series CPU?
BTW, I think compatibility is more important to me than having the newest or fastest setup.​

Thanks to everyone who has contributed to this thread - once I receive whatever hardware I end up with I know this page will be a huge help.

- David

Regarding the Z390 Designare MB though, I would need to use a TB3 cable like the one you linked?
I linked a USB-C to USB-C cable that supports USB 3.1 Gen 2. It is not a Thunderbolt 3 cable. But you can continue to use a Thunderbolt 3 cable.
I'm just finding it odd it won't show up on my hackintosh system if the 2TB drive is using the supported port. How about the 4TB drive? Same as the 2TB?
If you connect the LaCie 2TB drive to the Hackintosh using the Thunderbolt 3 cable, then it does not appear? Do you have a front-panel USB-C port? If so, have you tried using that port?

Oh, man. page 2309?? No doubt this has been a good and super-useful thread...

I am about to replace my crazy-old but still-working-well Z77-DS3H + i7-2700k cpu hackintosh running Mojave. I want to build a new hackintosh before non-intel cpus are a real world thing. I have no interest (at this time) in moving beyond Mojave 10.14.6 as I still need to run 32 bit code, largely for an old version photoshop and associated plugins.

I am planning to order the Z390 Designare and i9-9900k. I do not currently have a need for ThunderBolt but like the idea of having it available as this may be my last mac for some years and I'd like it to be as feature complete as possible.

My question is:
Is there a good reason to skip this Z390/9900k setup and instead go for a Z490 and a 10 series CPU?
BTW, I think compatibility is more important to me than having the newest or fastest setup.​

Thanks to everyone who has contributed to this thread - once I receive whatever hardware I end up with I know this page will be a huge help.

- David
I've not been able to install Mojave directly onto a Z490 system, but others have been successful in taking an existing Mojave installation from Z390 or earlier, modifying the OpenCore EFI for Z490, and having it boot up without any issue. It is likely that next versions of OpenCore and/or Clover might remedy this problem.

Back