Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

If you're trying to clear your NVRAM to change boot args, use
Code:
sudo nvram -c
in Terminal (at your own risk, but it should be fine...). You'l get an error saying
Code:
nvram: Error clearing firmware variables: (iokit/common) not permitted
but the NVRAM will still be cleared.
@kellymac12 thank you, but yes tried that already, no luck. Just tried again and still the same eg. verbose is still there but in my boot args it's not. So to get my DP HDMI removed via boot args I need to at least get NVRAM to some working point. Again this was working, now it's not.. I have read other posts saying it's related to current OC but I don't know..??

@kellymac12 thank you, but yes tried that already, no luck. Just tried again and still the same eg. verbose is still there but in my boot args it's not. So to get my DP HDMI removed via boot args I need to at least get NVRAM to some working point. Again this was working, now it's not.. I have read other posts saying it's related to current OC but I don't know..??

Hmm - I've just tried the same, and you're absolutely correct. Weird, as I'm sure I had that problem before, and that solved it. So it should be possible to delete the boot-args by
Code:
sudo nvram -d boot-args
and then OC should insert the new boot args at the next boot. Or you could write them directly to nvram with
Code:
sudo nvram boot-args="PUT_YOUR_BOOT_ARGS_HERE"
However, that's an educated guess, and others on this forum are much better placed to advise

[EDIT] Think I'm a doughnut - do you have SIP enabled? I do, and that's why I can't clear NVRAM - I have NVRAM protection enabled.

Last edited:
Empirical is how we "solve" many Hackintosh issues -- also known as trial and error. The list of experiments/variations below is quite respectable.

Looks like we've narrowed it down to NVMeFix and USBWakeFixup. This is what they do:
  • NVMeFix improves power management on non-Apple NVMe SSDs. This can be important because as we all know, NVMe SSDs can get very hot. Many motherboards provide built-in heatsinks (including Designare Z390).
  • USBWakeFixup allows the system to wake-from-sleep with just one keypress -- and to do it the right way.
    • This kext works in conjunction with SSDT-USBW.aml.
It is perfectly okay to remove all three of these files: two from kexts/Other and one from ACPI/patched. Then see if the revised May 2020 Update can boot Mojave.

I was setting up everything to update one of my drives to Catalina ( from Mojave) using "May 2020 Update - Catalina 10.15.4 Fresh Install.zip" , and found out after many troubleshooting reboots that USBWakeFixup.kext stops the boot process , I just took it away it,so I wonder if there's anything else to change in the config.plist as side effect of disabling it, in order to safely trying to update to Catalina.

@CaseySJ You wrote that the 2 system definition are not suitable for something like high sierra. I'm running as iMac 14,2 but I have 64gb ram installed now, way over the model limit. How could I deal with this?

I'm a little late to the party but I run a multi-boot system (Mojave, Sierra & Windows 10) all from one config.plist using SMBIOS 19,1. Now, I don't spend a lot of time in Sierra (it's to access FCP7 and other obsolete apps) but I have yet to experience a problem. I thought I would need multiple config files BUT I found I simply had to add a Boot Argument to my Clover config.plist:

-no_compat_check

Hey @CaseySJ
I'm working on following the Micro guide to upgrade to Catalina from Mojave, and, when booting the flash drive, it gets stuck at around 1/16th of the way. I've remade the flash drive, following all the instructions and run into the same problem again. Any idea what this might be? Thanks!

I REEALLY need some help here guys. Did this build in Nov 2019. All seemed great. I have just purchased a Presonus Quantum 2626 Thunderbolt 3 interface. I see on here that others have tested it and confirmed compatibility. I never tested the TB ports as I didn't have any devices that used it at the time. From everything I can tell so far, the TB/USB-c ports are not recognizing anything. The USB-a 3.1 ports right next to them appear to work. My test was plugging in my Samsung Galaxy S10+ to see if it will allow me to go into data transfer mode--it will in the A ports, not in the C ports. Will only charge in the C ports.

I followed the build exactly. Included all the proper kexts. Correct BIOS settings. Things appear, to my knowledge, to be showing up as they should (see attached photos). Also wondering if I could have a hardware issue and how to test for that. Can anyone point me in the correct direction?

I haven't seen anyone on here with my exact issue. From what I've read, either people don't have the SSDT-DTPG.aml and nothing shows up under PCI, therefore of course TB doesn't work. Or people are like "YAY MY TB MAGICALLY WORKED RIGHT AWAY".
I'm hoping for a voice of reason to step in and point me to the best approach. There is a lot of info on here and I am swimming in it. I don't believe I have the knowledge to just start messing with things. If I brick something, I will be in big trouble as I now need this machine for work. Let me know if more screenshots are needed of anything.

Thank you in advance! You are all life savers!
Screen Shot 2020-06-24 at 1.50.18 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-06-24 at 1.50.10 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-06-24 at 1.41.20 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-06-24 at 1.41.12 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-06-24 at 1.42.26 PM.png

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-06-24 at 1.42.26 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-06-24 at 1.42.26 PM.png
    744.7 KB · Views: 47
@CaseySJ sorry for the OT but I don't see my previous post anymore, is it still waiting for moderation?
Your posts contained links to another file sharing system and were removed from view. We no longer allow using non Forum links to files due to past abuse linking to illegal/pirated software.

If you cannot attach your files to your post, use the Forum's Contact Us at the bottom of each of the Forum's web pages to tell us your problem.

Your posts contained links to another file sharing system and were removed from view. We no longer allow using non Forum links to files due to past abuse linking to illegal/pirated software.

I didn't about this new rule... think that I used links just because I didn't want to weight too much on the forum's space. But there is no problem in attaching my files inline.

@CaseySJ First of all thanks 4 your wonderful guides, they are really helpful!

Even if I have an Asus Z390 Prime A II (as in signature), I had the curiosity to check whether MSR 0xE2 is locked or not with your guide ... after all I thought HEX addresses might be different but procedure is the same.

and from EUFI tool patch I had this result:

Screenshot 2020-06-24 16.44.43.png
while if I execute the Grub shell I get this:

IMG_1980.jpg

where it seems to me that CFG is unlock and, on the other side, I've always been able to boot with in Clover with KernelPM unchecked. What do you think? do you have any hint? Thanks in advance!

Back