Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Thanks I'll try that, I also bought a SSD, can I make a bootable backup from the bootable HDD backup with CCC using my macbook pro ?

What is it with this whole MSR 0xE2 thingy ? I never unlocked it, my running hackintosh on 10.15.2 is running with FwRuntimeServices if I remember well. Shouldn't I make my hackintosh back online as yesterday before experimenting with MSR 0xE2 and native VRAM ?
Unlocking MSR 0xE2 enables native CPU power management.

Hi all,

Beware of a bug with 10.15.5 update!

If you make a first backup with Carbon Copy Cloner, it won't be bootable!

The solution is to use the CCC 5.1.18 beta as detailed in the link above. The bombish developper is pretty mad against Apple, lol.

If you previously made a backup in 10.15.4, it seems ok tho.

Screen Shot 2020-05-29 at 5.46.10 AM.png

@CaseySJ Hello mate it has been a few moments since I havent come here.
First I want to thank you for this wonderful post and the help you provide to everyone. Without you I would not have been able to do this fantastic Hackintosh.

Since the beginning I am experiencing some Boot/Shutdown issues

The computer still goes into Loop after each shutdown (Note : I press Shutdown, not sleep mode). Furthermore I just realized that the computer might not shutdown (shutdown problem) well which might be the cause of the loop ?
After each shutdown, IF I press the power button in front of the case (I can hear the click which confirm me the button is pressed), it would return nothing from the computer.
The second time I press it, it would just do a short loop of few seconds starting the power then shutting down few seconds later without even displaying the BIOS.
The 3rd time, it will enter into the BootLoop 2 times more before launching the bios, then clover and then booting.

I contacted Gigabyte which advised me to take back the battery, do a CMOS reset and try again. I did it 3 times without success (Setup back MSR 02 after each time).
I tried to turn off XMP profile, which gave me no success as well.

To sum up this is the Hardware I am using :
- Monitor : DELL P2415Q Displaying correctly 4K
- MotherBoard : Z390 Gigabyte Designare
- SSD : Samsung
-CPU : Intel I9900K
- GPU : Sapphire Nitro RT5700X 8G
- Ram: DDR4 Crucial Ballistix Sports 64 GO 3000Mhz-Cas 15
- Power : Corsair 750 RMx
- Wifi-Card : Fenvi T919
- SSD1 (MacOs One) : Samsung Pro 970 SSD 1TB
- SSD 2 (Windows One) :Sabrent 1TB SSD

For the Setup, i followed the "mini guide for Fresh installation of catalina 10.15.1 and newer".
SMBIOS : Imac19,1
Clover version : 5100
BIOS version : F9B + Set it up according to the configuration explained in your first post.
MacOs Version : Catalina 10.15.3
OcQuirks and FwRuntimeServices revision : 15.
Native NVRAM unlocked and working as well with MSR02.
Everything is setup according to the Pslit you provided (FixShutdown, FixIpic, FixHpet and so more).

Drivers version :
AppleALC.kext : Version: 1.4.4
IntelMausi.kext : Version: 1.0.2
Lilu.kext : Version: 1.4.0
SmallTreeIntel82576.kext : Version: 1.0.6
SMCProcessor.kext : Version: 1.0.9
SMCSuperIO.kext : Version: 1.0.9
USBInjectAll.kext : Version: 0.7.1
VirtualSMC.kext : Version: 1.0.9
WhateverGreen.kext : Version: 1.3.5

I just added those 3 hide Volume to only Display Mac and Windows Volume to boot on :
- Preboot
- Recovery
- Microsoft Basic Data

Boot Args : Booting aswell with Shikigva = 80.

Energy Saver :
- Prevent computer from sleeping : Checked
- Put Hard disk to sleep : Checked
- Wake for Network access : Unchecked

- Enable Power Nap : Unchecked

Any other idea how can I fix this ? Thank you sir <3

Last edited:
Hate to rain on your parade, but that's a 1.7% increase(between 75215 and 74000). I see bigger differences between Geekbench runs, with the same GPU and OS...
Maybe I didn't explain it right, but before the 10.15.5 update, I was never past 72K. As 2-3K jump is nothing to sneeze at I think. May not be that much, my real point is that Apple is at least working on the drivers and we may see some increased speed as the drivers mature. Always cool when our investment gets better over time, even if just a little.

The computer still goes into Loop after each shutdown (Note : I press Shutdown, not sleep mode). Furthermore I just realized that the computer might not shutdown (shutdown problem) well which might be the cause of the loop ?
After each shutdown, IF I press the power button in front of the case (I can hear the click which confirm me the button is pressed), it would return nothing from the computer.
The second time I press it, it would just do a short loop of few seconds starting the power then shutting down few seconds later without even displaying the BIOS.
The 3rd time, it will enter into the BootLoop 2 times more before launching the bios, then clover and then booting.

I contacted Gigabyte which advised me to take back the battery, do a CMOS reset and try again. I did it 3 times without success (Setup back MSR 02 after each time).
Sorry to hear that this problem is still happening. Some suggestions:
  • Does the problem occur when you shutdown through Windows? (It's easy to install Windows on a separate disk; no activation code is needed to do basic things.) Alternatively we can install Linux.
  • Try connecting power to the PEG header on the lower right side of the motherboard, just under the six SATA ports.
Have you tried removing or substituting any components such as:
  • Power supply
  • Memory
  • PCIe cards (even GPU)
  • Motherboard
  • CPU

@CaseySJ Hello mate it has been a few moments since I havent come here.
First I want to thank you for this wonderful post and the help you provide to everyone. Without you I would not have been able to do this fantastic Hackintosh.

Since the beginning I am experiencing some Boot/Shutdown issues

To sum up this is the Hardware I am using :
- Monitor : DELL P2415Q Displaying correctly 4K
- MotherBoard : Z390 Gigabyte Designare
- SSD : Samsung
-CPU : Intel I9900K
- GPU : Sapphire Nitro RT5700X 8G
- Ram: DDR4 Crucial Ballistix Sports 64 GO 3000Mhz-Cas 15
- Power : Corsair 750 RMx
- Wifi-Card : Fenvi T919
- SSD1 (MacOs One) : Samsung Pro 970 SSD 1TB
- SSD 2 (Windows One) :Sabrent 1TB SSD

For the Setup, i followed the "mini guide for Fresh installation of catalina 10.15.1 and newer".
SMBIOS : Imac19,1
Clover version : 5100
BIOS version : F9B + Set it up according to the configuration explained in your first post.
MacOs Version : Catalina 10.15.3
OcQuirks and FwRuntimeServices revision : 15.
Native NVRAM unlocked and working as well with MSR02.
Everything is setup according to the Pslit you provided (FixShutdown, FixIpic, FixHpet and so more).

Drivers version :
AppleALC.kext : Version: 1.4.4
IntelMausi.kext : Version: 1.0.2
Lilu.kext : Version: 1.4.0
SmallTreeIntel82576.kext : Version: 1.0.6
SMCProcessor.kext : Version: 1.0.9
SMCSuperIO.kext : Version: 1.0.9
USBInjectAll.kext : Version: 0.7.1
VirtualSMC.kext : Version: 1.0.9
WhateverGreen.kext : Version: 1.3.5

I just added those 3 hide Volume to only Display Mac and Windows Volume to boot on :
- Preboot
- Recovery
- Microsoft Basic Data

Boot Args : Booting aswell with Shikigva = 80.

Energy Saver :
- Prevent computer from sleeping : Checked
- Put Hard disk to sleep : Checked
- Wake for Network access : Unchecked

- Enable Power Nap : Unchecked

I had a similar problem with my setup being unpredictable on shutdown/restart. In the end it was my new (!) CoolerMaster 650 PS. Funny thing is, it was tested on another rig and there were no problems with it. I think there must be some kind of incompatibility of my CoolerMaster and the Designare, as weird as this may sound... Just try with some other PS if you can.

Is your IGPU enabled in BIOS? If you run IORegistryExplorer and scroll the device tree on left side until you see IGPU@2, do you see "AppleIntelFramebuffer..." immediately under it?

Hello Mr. CaseySJ

Thank you very much for helping its work now, before my IGPU in Auto not enabled.
All the best.

Last edited:
This might be interesting...After upgrading to 10.15.5 and BIOS version Z390DESIGNARE.F9g, here is my latest Geekbench score. Looks like it's mostly 10.15.5 responsible, since I checked it before the BIOS update, and it came in somewhere around 74K, but this new score...Never seen it before on my card at all!
screen-shot-2020-05-28-at-11-54-44-pm-png.472284
That’s interesting. I have the Nitro 5700xt and I’m getting around 52000 with GeekBench 5 for Metal. I also have the 5700XT 50 Anniversary and scoring pretty much the same. This should be higher clocks than normal.

Running 10.15.4

I’m jealous now :)) how did you get that?

Also is this via eGPU or directly installed?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-05-29 at 20.15.46.png
    Screenshot 2020-05-29 at 20.15.46.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 89
Last edited:
** Gigabyte Beta BIOS F9g **

Thanks again to @nightmac for informing us of BIOS F9g and in particular the option to enable or disable CFG-LOCK (MSR 0xE2). Although F9g is still in beta, it is digitally signed by Gigabyte and appears safe to use. After installing it this morning I found that CFG-LOCK is actually disabled by default. How nice.

That file is 16MB???? that is a lot compare to the 6.7 mb ish original......

Back