Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Hello @Elias64Fr,

Have you considered something like this as originally described by Osy86:
  • Renaming RWAK to XWAK
  • Adding a new RWAK method like this:
View attachment 466567

• This by itself does not help the add-in-card to reconnect complex devices after wake. My Apple Thunderbolt-to-Gigabit adapter does wake from sleep each time, but Belkin Dock Pro and eGPU do not.
Sure @CaseySJ
Wake issues have multiple origin (SSDT, DSDT, TB firmware or properties) and we have to try different method from more easily to more complex.

In ACPI, RMV is the Removal Status. We have this method in our Thunderbolt SSDT. Is there another RMV function in firmware/BIOS?
@CaseySJ Thanks for replying to @faithie999's questions so succinctly. My bios has a hidden option which can be enabled called ACPI Removal Object Support but I've checked the Designaire's bios 9b and it isn't there unfortunately. :(

@mm2margaret I can't respond to your PM as I don't have enough posts! Please upload your SystemDSDT from MacIASL and I'll look for the _GPE method. See @CaseySJ 's above post for the location of the _INI method in RP05

Last edited:
It's a little more pricey and you would need an adapter, but the Yeti USB is a winner with excellent audio quality but since you need xlr, the pro version has XLR but it definitely costs a bit more than $150. Well worth the price though.

Although Designare Z390 and even the new Z490 Vision D do not provide 4K 60Hz over HDMI, your monitor should still work at 4K 30Hz. If you'd still like to enable this, please post your config.plist (remove serial numbers from SMBIOS before posting).
Thanks for your reply.
This is an entry level LG 27" 4k monitor. It can enable/disable 4k 60Hz with an option in the software menu.
when such option is enabled but the video card doesn't provide 60Hz the monitor stays black. So I disabled such option and the iGPU started working properly @30Hz.
So the config and all the rest were running fine.

In the end @CaseySJ you maybe remember time ago I had issues with a RX 5700 XT, reboot happening with this mobo.
I figured it all. Have a look:
1 - Wake from sleep kernel panic
2 - AppleALC kernel panic
3 - Intel 660p kernel panic
4 - Corsair CX750M faulty as latest.

Holy f°°°°. In the end I swapped the PSU for another identical and since then (a week) no more random reboot. Probably the PCIe Rail was faulty as the system rebooted on heavy GPU load.
All solved.

yep! I also have the VirtualSMC.efi from the Catalina 10.15.4 Fresh Install package. Is that still supposed to be used?
VirtualSMC.efi is optional, but okay to use. Do you have the latest versions of VirtualSMC and Lilu? Please do this:
  • In Terminal type kextstat | grep -v apple and post a screenshot (CMD-Shift-5).
  • Also post a screenshot of HWMonitorSMC2 so we can see what is being reported for both AMD GPU and iGPU.

When I go to the path ~/Library/Extensions/ it just brings me to the Library folder, and when I sudo touch /Library/Extensions it doesn't return anything. I still have my EFI mounted but I know that's not really related. But when I sudo kextcache -i / I get a ton of kexts listed. Just want to make sure I'm deleting the correct files to upgrade.
Please note that there's a significant difference between:
  • ~/Library
  • /Library
The first (~/Library) takes you to your home Library: /Users/<username>/Libary
The second (/Library) takes you to your system Library: /Library

Kernel extensions (kexts) are installed in the system Library: /Library/Extensions

So we'll need to delete them from there and then:
  • If running Catalina, type: sudo touch /Library/Extensions
  • If running Mojave, type: sudo kextcache -i /Library/Extensions
Reboot.

The BIOS screenshot is very helpful. Have you tried any of the following?
  • Double check that the card is securely seated in its PCIe slot and auxiliary PCI power cables are attached?
  • Power down and flip power switch on PSU to off position for 10 seconds, then flip on? This causes BIOS to rescan for hardware changes.
  • CMOS Reset? This is more extreme, but can solve a number of problems. BIOS parameters will need to be configured once again starting with Load Optimized Defaults. And if MSR 0xE2 had been unlocked before, it will need to be re-unlocked.

Thanks for your reply!
I checked on the card and the pci power cables... seems good, even placed the card in pciex2 and tried it there, no change. weird thing (or not), i have no idea if the card is powered. i can't find an led indicating it's on and the fans never power up. googling heavy to figure out if there's a way to physically see if the card has power/is on.
i did the power down, unplug for 10 sec numerous times.
i loaded optimized defaults and reconfigured everything too...
i'll try the CMOS reset if i can't figure anything else out by tonight.
Thank you!

... In the end I swapped the PSU for another identical and since then (a week) no more random reboot. Probably the PCIe Rail was faulty as the system rebooted on heavy GPU load.
All solved.
Wow -- good to know. Thanks for the update.

Thanks for your reply!
I checked on the card and the pci power cables... seems good, even placed the card in pciex2 and tried it there, no change. weird thing (or not), i have no idea if the card is powered. i can't find an led indicating it's on and the fans never power up. googling heavy to figure out if there's a way to physically see if the card has power/is on.
i did the power down, unplug for 10 sec numerous times.
i loaded optimized defaults and reconfigured everything too...
i'll try the CMOS reset if i can't figure anything else out by tonight.
Thank you!
The GPU should definitely show up in BIOS first. If it's not present in BIOS then something is wrong with the hardware, the cables, the connections, the PCI power supply, etc. @zzmadd is post 20,033 above reported a bad power supply, so that might be one of the first things to check...

Back