Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Which SMBIOS name are you using currently on Mojave 10.14.3? MacMini8,1 or iMac18,3 or ?? It may be necessary to keep the same SMBIOS name when upgrading to Catalina.

iMac 14,2 with the SYMBIOS: IM142.88Z.0123.B00.1708211454

So I should def try using 14,2 for now? I don't have to paste this SYMBIOS into the USB Catalina do I ?

Note: I'm curious as to whether the Boot Test USB drive is still needed to be left inserted? Mine is.

Imac 14,2 with the SYMBIOS: IM142.88Z.0123.B00.1708211454

So I should def try using 14,2 for now? I dont have to paste this SYMBIOS into the usb Catalina do I ?

Note" I'm curious as to wether the Boot Test usb drive is still needed to be left inserted? Mine is.
Yes you should still use the same iMac14,2 if you were running Mojave with that. It's still necessary to replace the SMBIOS section in the new config.plist with SMBIOS from the old config.plist. Then make sure Mojave 10.14.3 can still boot from the USB flash disk.

After that you can try upgrading to Catalina, but each time the system restarts during installation, you must press F12 at BIOS splash screen (not Clover Boot Menu) and choose the USB flash disk. At the Clover Boot Menu, choose macOS Install from ...

@iRamon

Sorry to hear about your difficulties. I have flashed the TB3 chip on two Designaires. I used the Pomona 5250 clip and RPI4 method. The first time the mobo was left in the case with the power cord unplugged. It took me four attempts to finally read and write the chip successfully.

The second time I just purchased a new board and tried to flash it as received, without installing. I attempted to flash about 10 times without success. Perhaps because I had left the pin 8 line not plugged into the RPI4. I gave up and installed the board into the case.

Once the system was running I decided to flash the TB3 ONE LAST TIME, before giving up. Again the power line was unplugged, and pin #8 was not connected -- probably wrong!

It took about five more attempts to finally read and flash the chip. The Pomona clip is very difficult to properly seat!!!

I looked into purchasing CaseySJ's suggested clip, but delivery was 4-6 weeks. I now have one on-order for delivery next month, just in case I ever need/want to re-flash these or other chips.

I supplied the checksums from the original TB3 ROMs in another post. My checksums for the original ROMs do not match between the two boards.
Thanks for your support and for pitching in.

My goodness, you flashed two Designare's (!). Glad it all worked out. You must be really happy you did that one last try!

My story is somewhat similar (although my atttempts are in the hundreds :crazy:) ... I just finished re-flashing my chip before giving up ... and flashing succeeded! ... after 4 days of trying! I used the suggested cheap clip, not the Pomona.

Thanks also for checking the checksums of your ROM backups. It's a puzzle to me why checksums of our Designares are not identical, that would have made it a lot easier to determine when the clip is attached properly to the chip. But I guess now we're done flashing, we'll soon forget about our flashing experiences ;)

@iRamon,

Please do the following:
  • Post your Thunderbolt SSDT.
  • Post the output of this command: log show --last boot | grep Thunderbolt
BTW, checksums are not identical because it seems each board might have slightly different set of bytes in the "scratch" areas and "Active Region 2". But the actual Thunderbolt firmware bytes between offsets x04000 and 0x80000 are identical.

Last edited:
@iRamon,
Please post your Thunderbolt SSDT. Once I've downloaded it, I'll let you know so you can subsequently delete it from the post.
Thank you @CaseySJ
Please find my Thunderbolt SSDT attached below. It's the SSDT from the DROM guide, customized with a unique UID and checksum. I also tried the default SSDT from the guide, and it didn't make any difference.

Again ... no hurry here. With al the incredible work you're doing here for all of us, you are more than entitled to have a wonderful weekend!

BTW, checksums are not identical because it seems each board might have slightly different set of bytes in the "scratch" areas and "Active Region 2". But the actual Thunderbolt firmware bytes between offsets x04000 and 0x80000 are identical.
I saw your reply to @NCMacGuy, it's crazy how quick you figured it out! But what puzzled me is why the scratch areas and active region would have any differences between boards on a ROM chip (as in read-only)... My guess is that I wouldn't understand the answer to that anyway :lol:

UPDATE: I missed your request to post output of log show --last boot | grep Thunderbolt last night.
A text file with the output is attached below. I noticed that waking my system after sleep created additional entries in the log (NVM not loaded, and No DROM found) ... might reveal a clue of the issue I'm dealing with?

Edit: Removed SSDT.

Attachments

• log-lastboot-thunderbolt3.txt
    22.1 KB · Views: 79
Last edited:
Hi Casey and people, first of all, may thanks wonderful work and also thanks for all the contributors,

I'm configuring the same hardware, just changed to a 9900k,(video card 580), my friend has a Apollo 8 but we haven't manage to get it working. For installing the UAD drivers we had to change the csr from 0x67 to 0x0 in 10.15.4, the installation of the driver went somehow better with this, we manage to get all the security verification for the kexts (i think).

Everything else is working, the USB, the audio, the network cards, WiFi Bluetooth, video acceleration/encoding, MSR 0x0, etc.

We used the efi file from the mini-guide of Catalina fresh install, we put the DSDT for the thunderbolt (SSDT-Z390-DESIGNARE-TB3HP-V4). We have the Thunderbolt TB3 to TB2 USB-C from apple.
-
Flashing the thunderbolt controller its hard since we don't have the raspberry and with the lockdown is harder to get in my country (also a bit scary to do). And we don't know if we are in the firmware NVM 43 or earlier firmware versions such as NVM 23 and NVM 33 that are more compatible. The bios version is 8.

Any ideas? we have to clue what to do, the UAD meter says 'Device not found' and is not shown under PCI like the other 5 devices (GC titan ridge,GC usb3, intel, etc).

Please can you give us a hint? I remember long time ago I had to configure the controller with windows after installing the drivers. Like a controller activation from the OS...

Thanks

Last edited:
I'm sorry if my question is way off base but is your apollo running a thunderbolt 1 card?

I'm determining if using z390 designare will work also - (with an apollo silverface) but a thunderbolt 1 card output to designare simply won't work on the win10 side of things so......is it a hardware incompatibility that could be crossing over?

Sorry if this has been covered
Thanks!!

Vega frame buffer properties are back inside the kext. And PowerPlay tables were added by @rj510 to the SSDTs:
View attachment 464760

@rj510 : Can you answer the question about Vega support in RadeonBoost kext? The Info.plist does not seem to support Vega.

CMMChris removed Vega support because the fan noise complaints were unacceptable. He could not apply the 'boost' to Vega GPUs and lower fan speed.

Fan noise is not an issue with one Vega 64 I have, as it is water-cooled, so I added it back for this computer. (I do have a Vega 56 that I'll test out this weekend.)

I'll upload the modified v1.4 here, but if anyone uses it without water-cooling, fan noise will most likely be a problem. This modified version works for both Vega 56 and 64.

Since this kext auto-selects SMBIOS and GPU, it is fully usable, and will function the same, as the standard v1.4 with other supported GPUs.

Attachments

• RadeonBoost-v1-4+Vega.kext.zip
    4.7 KB · Views: 148
Osy86's Thunderbolt patcher (tbpatch) tool is awesome, but it won't work out of the box. We first need to configure and install the TbtOnPch SSDT, reboot, ensure that Thunderbolt Bus appears, and then run the patcher to modify the Thunderbolt chip. On an Alpine Ridge system, you might wonder why it's even necessary to flash the firmware when an SSDT will do the job! @Elias64Fr has a fully working Thunderbolt Bus on his Asus Maximus X Hero (with on-board Alpine Ridge). Firmware flashing is not necessarily required for on-board Alpine Ridge controllers.
I have an Asus Maximus Hero X and it definitely has no thunderbolt controller built in, or even a header to add one!

I take it there are not going to be any powerplay table enhancements made for RX580. The post about the kext says RX570-590 are supported alongside WEG, so I used it.

It supports RX580-90 but RadeonBoost does not do PowerPlayTable, that is added through SSDT or DeviceProperties injection. I not seen any PowerPlayTable for this series, I think only Vega and NAVI.

Back