Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

@CaseySJ Hello Casey ... I did a couple of tweeks and run stable for over 24 hours .... here are the newest stats .. you may or may not be surprised. i9-9900K w/ 64gb 3333mhz ram

Now my question is : If I want to set up 2 monitors ACER with the 2 dp ports from my RX 580 armor 8c ... will I have any issues ???

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-04-15 at 9.11.38 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-04-15 at 9.11.38 PM.png
    39.2 KB · Views: 106
  • 14EA4E1E-448C-4C9E-87B6-8157C4565F05.jpeg
    14EA4E1E-448C-4C9E-87B6-8157C4565F05.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 93
Have you opened System Preferences --> Security & Privacy --> General and then checked the bottom of the window?

View attachment 462714
On my Catalina 10.15.4 test bench, it starts up normally:
View attachment 462715

Thanks...So i know it has nothing to do with hackintoshing i guess...This failture i get immediately when i open the application, and it immediately quits

Code:
Process:               BatChmod [1260]
Path:                  /Applications/BatChmod.app/Contents/MacOS/BatChmod
Identifier:            com.lagente.batchmod
Version:               1.7b5 (175)
Code Type:             X86-64 (Native)
Parent Process:        ??? [1]
Responsible:           BatChmod [1260]
User ID:               501

Date/Time:             2020-04-16 09:24:26.727 +0200
OS Version:            Mac OS X 10.14.6 (18G4032)
Report Version:        12
Anonymous UUID:        2716B0DE-5038-20F4-AB05-E6AD3C022D97

Time Awake Since Boot: 1500 seconds

System Integrity Protection: disabled

Crashed Thread:        0  Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread

Exception Type:        EXC_CRASH (SIGABRT)
Exception Codes:       0x0000000000000000, 0x0000000000000000
Exception Note:        EXC_CORPSE_NOTIFY

Application Specific Information:
*** Terminating app due to uncaught exception 'NSInternalInconsistencyException', reason: 'Invalid parameter not satisfying: index >= 0'
terminating with uncaught exception of type NSException
abort() called

I've often had this happen. The diskutil resetUserPermissions / `id -u`command hasn't worked for me. I have to go into the info box and change the permissions from "No Access" back to Read or Read Write. This happens with other files on real Macs, too. Mojave or Catalina, same thing. Just keep an eye on your original "out of the box/fresh" permissions of any given app or image and make sure things don't surprise you with changes. It's especially problematic with the Mojave installer. I've had to get a fresh version and .zip a safety copy. I have no idea why this is so. Good luck.

Thanks i checked, rights on the application are ok...

Thanks...So i know it has nothing to do with hackintoshing i guess...This failture i get immediately when i open the application, and it immediately quits

Code:
Process:               BatChmod [1260]
Path:                  /Applications/BatChmod.app/Contents/MacOS/BatChmod
Identifier:            com.lagente.batchmod
Version:               1.7b5 (175)
Code Type:             X86-64 (Native)
Parent Process:        ??? [1]
Responsible:           BatChmod [1260]
User ID:               501

Date/Time:             2020-04-16 09:24:26.727 +0200
OS Version:            Mac OS X 10.14.6 (18G4032)
Report Version:        12
Anonymous UUID:        2716B0DE-5038-20F4-AB05-E6AD3C022D97

Time Awake Since Boot: 1500 seconds

System Integrity Protection: disabled

Crashed Thread:        0  Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread

Exception Type:        EXC_CRASH (SIGABRT)
Exception Codes:       0x0000000000000000, 0x0000000000000000
Exception Note:        EXC_CORPSE_NOTIFY

Application Specific Information:
*** Terminating app due to uncaught exception 'NSInternalInconsistencyException', reason: 'Invalid parameter not satisfying: index >= 0'
terminating with uncaught exception of type NSException
abort() called

Issue solved, i had to overinstall 10.14.6 mojave full installer and right now the application works again...buhh, happy now...

@CaseySJ Hello Casey ... I did a couple of tweeks and run stable for over 24 hours .... here are the newest stats .. you may or may not be surprised. i9-9900K w/ 64gb 3333mhz ram

Now my question is : If I want to set up 2 monitors ACER with the 2 dp ports from my RX 580 armor 8c ... will I have any issues ???
That's always a tricky question. If the two Acer monitors support DisplayPort 1.2 then there's a good chance they will work. A few multi-monitor problems have been reported recently, but with only two monitors -- and both on DP -- you have a good chance of success.

Last edited:

Are those the only changes you made in the BIOS/UEFI, and what are the temps like under load?

I have the RX580 Sapphire and it runs 2 Dell 27" monitors fine on the DP ports. The only strange thing is that when the system starts the boot up / clover is shown on one screen (left). Once I select (between Windows / Catalina / Ubuntu) 1/2 way through boot the output changes screen, ie it starts on the left screen with the right screen black and finishes on the right screen with the left screen black. Once the GUI loads both screens work.

The first video does suggest a hardware fault.
  • In the first sequence of video #1, the CPU and DRAM LEDs turn on and then the system shuts off.
  • In the second sequence, the CPU, DRAM and VGA light up but as soon as BOOT lights up, the system shuts down.
  • In the third sequence, all LEDs turn on then off and the system continues the boot process without shutting down.
Suspicion #1: Bad DRAM. One or more modules may be bad. Have you followed the memtest procedure?

Well @CaseySJ I ran four full passes of Memtest86 last night, no issues. I couldn't get the Mac memory tester you linked to install for whatever reason.

That said, here is what I have tried at the moment:
  1. Removed Fenvi WiFi card
  2. Removed GPU
  3. Removed F_USB header
  4. Removed F_USB3 header
  5. Removed F_USBC
  6. Removed F_AUDIO header
  7. Connected PEG power connector on motherboard (don't believe this is really needed but trying everything here)
  8. Tested different monitor (USBC portable monitor rather than HDMI/DisplayPort monitor)
  9. Disconnected anything USB including my Apple keyboard and mouse (This honestly for a second made me think I found the issue, because it booted a few times normally. But after more testing it doesn't seem to actually have any real effect, likely coincidence)
  10. Removed both SATA SSDs
  11. Removed Mac NVMe
  12. Removed all but one RAM module
  13. Swapped single RAM module with a different stick
  14. Moved single RAM module to a different slot
  15. Rolled back BIOS to from F9 > F8
  16. Rolled back BIOS from F8 > F7_n
  17. Cleared BIOS via CMOS reset jumper
  18. Removed all RAM (only mobo, CPU, PSU left connected) (of course POST loops w/o RAM but still get the weird power on/off/loop issues)
Under all of these situations and tests I still randomly get the resets during POST.

The only items I can still think to test are:
  1. Reseat the CPU
  2. Test mobo, CPU, and PSU outside of the case (in case of any possible shorts)
  3. Replace the motherboard
  4. Replace the CPU
  5. Replace the PSU
Went ahead and ordered a replacement motherboard from Amazon, won't arrive til May 8 so may just be stuck til then. Sadly will fall outside my CPU return period so hoping that isn't the real culprit.

Last edited:
Well @CaseySJ

Went ahead and ordered a replacement motherboard from Amazon, won't arrive til May 8 so may just be stuck til then. Sadly will fall outside my CPU return period so hoping that isn't the real culprit. Actually I think I am going to go ahead and order the cheapest LGA1151 processor on Amazon for quick delivery to test there as well.

Why not just get a replacement for the CPU now before the return period expires? At least you will have a new MOBO and CPU to try.

Why not just get a replacement for the CPU now before the return period expires? At least you will have a new MOBO and CPU to try.

Yeah that's a good point. It's one of the few parts not from Amazon (BestBuy/Google Shopping) so I don't have as long to return it. I just went ahead and ordered the cheapest LGA1151 CPU on Amazon for arrival this weekend to test with ($120 i3).

Since the last post I have:

1. Removed the mobo/CPU from the case
  2. Connected to a different known working PSU on a test bench
  3. Removed CPU cooler
  4. Removed CPU
Once the CPU is out I am not seeing the reboot issues anymore but not sure if this means much with just the mobo powering on with literally no other components. Replacement/test CPU should be here Sunday and will start testing with that. Going to just put everything back together for now and run Caffiene to prevent sleeping because otherwise the computer is perfectly fine as long as it never shuts down.

Back