Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Just an update on the Hades Canyon NUC and thunderbolt. Out of simple curiosity I took the latest iMac18,3 Alpine Ridge firmware update binary from the Catalina 10.15.4 updater, padded it with 0xFF's until it was exactly 1Mb in size and then flashed it with a programmer to the Thunderbolt chip. Much to my amazement it works 100% apart from one bug which I've had with all the patched firmwares. I have a LaCie 2big Dock (Thunderbolt 3 RAID box) which works fine apart from not powering off completely when I shut the NUC down. The drives spin down, the computer shuts off then right at the very end the drives spin up again. Has anyone else had this powering down problem with their patched firmwares? It powers off properly in Windows with the native thunderbolt firmware (v33)
@CaseySJ attached is the updated v41.4 padded binary to add to the firmware repo if you so desire...

I just purchased a NUC NUC10i7FNH for some things with work, and my plan is to try and get Catalina running on this. And to flash the TB3 firmware so I can start to play with these new revelations.

It does not need USBInjectAll.kext or SSDT-UIAC-DESIGNARE-Z390-V7.aml. But the EC and USBX devices are still needed.
@CaseySJ
If possible could you have a peep at the USB side of things for me please?
I think I'm going round in circles now, again!! Probably doing something really stupid.. :banghead::banghead:

Everytime I Use my 'Latest Build' I'm good.. EFI_22_03_2020.zip
When I try and tinker with the USB it's a no go.. EFI.zip

Thank you.

Attachments

• IMG_1051.jpg
    IMG_1051.jpg
    219.2 KB · Views: 91
@CaseySJ
If possible could you have a peep at the USB side of things for me please?
I think I'm going round in circles now, again!! Probably doing something really stupid.. :banghead::banghead:

Everytime I Use my 'Latest Build' I'm good.. EFI_22_03_2020.zip
When I try and tinker with the USB it's a no go.. EFI.zip

Thank you.
Here you go...
Screen Shot 2020-03-31 at 1.26.23 PM.png

This is why I gave up on fixing sleep/wake problems three months ago -- because the logs don't help and we can chase this problem for months or years. However, on both of my systems it works, but I consider "maintenance wake" to be normal because it only occurs once every two hours.

When your SSD arrives on Wednesday, I would encourage you to follow the Catalina 10.15.4 guide precisely and then test sleep/wake without installing any third-party apps or drivers. Simply third-party apps are fine such as Clover Configurator, Hackintool, Disk Speed Test, etc.

one last question before I give up on this lol

pmset -g

is you TCPKEEPALIVE 1 or 0?

Some questions:
  • Have you unlocked MSR 0xE2?
  • Are BIOS parameters set correctly (according to Post #1)?
  • At the Clover Boot Menu, press spacebar to reveal some options. Use arrow keys to move down to Verbose and press spacebar to toggle it on. When the boot process hangs, please grab a screenshot.
I did the MSR 0xE2 unlock before begin the installation and my bios is identical to your except for M.I.T ( extreme memory profile ) ---> 1 . I cant see it anywhere so i am not able to change it ... this was similar when i followed u in dec 2018 ... i am still using bios f4 . maybe the problem is on the msr... i tried to change again to 0x0 and now the installation is blocked again( u can see it on the last screenshot)

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2020-03-31 at 22.49.29.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2020-03-31 at 22.49.29.jpeg
    142.6 KB · Views: 93
  • WhatsApp Image 2020-03-31 at 23.20.37.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2020-03-31 at 23.20.37.jpeg
    202.5 KB · Views: 85
  • WhatsApp Image 2020-03-31 at 23.47.02.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2020-03-31 at 23.47.02.jpeg
    198.5 KB · Views: 91
Last edited:
**Mini-Guide for Fresh Installation of Catalina 10.15.4 and Newer **
** Please do not quote this guide in any post -- use a link instead **
This guide requires unlocking the MSR 0xE2 register. Details are in the procedure.

Hello , something when wrong and now I cant seem to be able to install it. I get stuck at Apple logo no loading bar. I tried to see what's going on with -v and this what i get. Can you please let me know what I did wrong? Thank you.

Attachments

• 6048343A-9C2C-494A-98DC-DDA774AC1A23.jpeg
    6048343A-9C2C-494A-98DC-DDA774AC1A23.jpeg
    3.8 MB · Views: 89
Last edited:
I did the MSR 0xE2 unlock before begin the installation and my bios is identical to your except for M.I.T ( extreme memory profile ) ---> 1 . I cant see it anywhere so i am not able to change it ... this was similar when i followed u in dec 2018 ... i am still using bios f4 .
We have same problem. When you did check of the BIOS, did it give you a 500 and a 9 like the guide says? Because mine gave me 12 and 7 numbers. Although I was able to get through half the installation, it gave me an error. So I tried to make new USB few times, different ports and still same. :(

Look at the picture before your post. We have the same black screen. :D 500 and 9 ? Where in BIOS?

Look at the picture before your post. We have the same black screen. :D 500 and 9 ? Where in BIOS?
Before unlocking MSR, he says to check it with a command, and it should give two values. My values where different I wonder if that's the issue.

So far, I'm passed our issue. I used files from Catalina 15.1 install guide, and, as of few seconds ago, I at least have a loading bar.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back