Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

So I go on my Gigabyte build to try the FW update

@CaseySJ
This is not Gigabyte TB firmware updater. Gigabyte has FlashTBT. I don't know if it will work on our board but I think that Thunderbolt firmware update tool doesn't matter.
I had already tested it on my laptop without any problem to workaround error messages (different VID..) of current Intel Firmware Updatetool.

Last edited:
If you're talking to me, I'm saying to physically flash this to your card.
Yes of course I will do that before reboot and see

But isn't the same I already flashed yesterday ?

Yes of course I will do that before reboot and see

But isn't the same I already flashed yesterday ?

Nope this is the actual NVM18-patched firmware. We were just hoping that all EX3's would accept NVM26. It turns out, we think, that card revisions matter here. No idea why.

Lets move to DM for more back and forth.

I know that usually an SSDT is needed but how do you explain my screenshots that I posted without one at all?

MacPro7,1 Thunderbolt SSDT extracted...

Yeh, I know Thunderbolt 3 is able to work without SSDT, I still found some problems, though. Take my situation for instance, if I use iMac19,1 firmware without SSDT, Thunderbolt 3 hotplog is invalid; it only can boot with devices and show 20Gb/s x2 rather than 40Gb/s x1 in System Information.

Yesterday I damaged the Winbond W25Q80DV on my Asus ThunderboltEX 3 through a careless mistake of mis-wiring the SOIC8 clip! Fortunately, the card was almost free so no worries.

So I decided to turn this loss into a gain by ordering a set of replacement Flash ROMs and some desoldering supplies. Plan is to flash a standalone replacement chip and subsequently solder it to the Asus ThunderboltEX 3. I also ordered a soldering/desoldering practice board so I can train myself first.

Device Chip Used
Asus ThunderboltEX 3 Winbond W25Q80DVSIG
Gigabyte Designare Z390 Winbond W25Q80DVSIG
Gigabyte GC-Titan Ridge Winbond W25Q80DVSIG
ASRock Thunderbolt Macronix MX25L8006E M2I-12

I don't know whether there's a difference between W25Q80DVSSIG and W25Q80DVSNIG so I ordered a dozen of each.
Screen Shot 2020-03-22 at 7.20.31 AM.png

Last edited:
@CaseySJ
This is not Gigabyte TB firmware updater. Gigabyte has FlashTBT. I don't know if it will work on our board but I think that Thunderbolt firmware update tool doesn't matter.
I had already tested it on my laptop without any problem to workaround error messages (different VID..) of current Intel Firmware Updatetool.
I am so tempted to try. After yesterday's mistake, I am waiting for my courage to come back... :)

Yesterday I damaged the Winbond W25Q80DV on my Asus ThunderboltEX 3 through a careless mistake of mis-wiring the SOIC8 clip! Fortunately, the card was almost free so no worries.

Oh no! That sucks. A hot-air station, some flux, tweezers and some Chipquik and you should have that replaced in under 10 minutes without much hassle. Avoiding them tiny passives next to the chip will be the challenge for sure. Personally am not a fan of the solder braid method for SMT parts since its easier to damage them that way.

If I get some time later today I will dump the Winbond chip of my Z170X-Designare board to add to the collection of dumped firmwares.

Back