Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

@CaseySJ I've been happily humming along with my hack for a while now and lost track of your progress here for a while. I just came back and saw you had added native NVRAM and went about following those instructions. I disabled the lock and added and removed files as you indicated but my NVRAM is not persisting. I hate to bug you in such a busy thread, but since there have been a couple of hundred posts since your NVRAM guide it's hard to sort them all out and you probably know all the right questions.

Designare Z390
Radeon RX 580
i9 9900K
Mojave 10.14.6
Clover 5103

Hi guys,

I've just installed Mojave on a very similar build to this and I'm having some issues with it when it boots up. I'm trying to drive 2 x 4K monitors and one 1080p projector.

Sometimes when it finishes booting up and it gets to the user menu, one screen is black, the other one has the wallpaper on it. To fix this, I need to shut the monitor down then power it back up.

Any idea what might be causing this?
There have been reports of problems when a projector is connected. There are also reports of problems with some flatscreen TVs.
  • Do the two 4K monitors behave correctly when only those two monitors are connected (i.e. when the projector is not connected)?
  • What are the makes/models of the 4K monitors?
  • Are you using any video adapters such as HDMI-to-DVI or DP-to-DVI?
  • Because you're using an RX 580, it's better to remove agdpmod=pikera if you haven't already done so.
I'm also having an issue with playing Netflix content on Safari. I was using iMac19,1 with iGPU enabled. Thought I'd switch to iMacPro1,1 with iGPU disabled, now I'm getting a HDCP error. Looks like the issue is still being tackled by WEG people. I honestly don't really need the iGPU unless it helps with something. I work with video apps, mostly Premiere Pro, After Effects, etc.

Thanks!
Please see this table that describes the pros/cons of various shikigva settings:

Success (so far) !

After struggling with boot memory allocation errors following native nvram guide on my build (which led me to disabling iGPU), i finally found a way to use latest OCquirks release with iGPU enabled, iMac19,1 SMBIOS without Memory Allocation Error and without the need for memoryallocation.efi nor OsxAptioFix2Drv-free2000.efi nor Aptiomemoryfix.efi
Apparently some Gigabyte Z390 boards may need to edit the OCQuirks plist to change some options.
Maybe this solution has been discussed already in this long thread, but then i think i missed it..
Yes the solution has been discussed already :) over here.
Right now i got a few boots and reboots without issue, iGPU VDA Decoder "Fully Supported" in Hackintool, working QuickView and Preview apps (were broken without iGPU).
Also my settings for iGPU memory in Bios are 64MB DVMT Pre Alloc, 256MB Total GFX Memory, 512MB Aperture Size. Cannot remember if these are the default values or if i change something in my former attempts to make the iGPU work. If anyone has this info i'd like to know.
Those settings are fine. You should get consistently successful boots from now on. But if for some reason you encounter the memory allocation error, first try a CMOS Reset (and re-configure BIOS parameters afterwards) to reset the memory map (among other things).

@CaseySJ I've been happily humming along with my hack for a while now and lost track of your progress here for a while. I just came back and saw you had added native NVRAM and went about following those instructions. I disabled the lock and added and removed files as you indicated but my NVRAM is not persisting. I hate to bug you in such a busy thread, but since there have been a couple of hundred posts since your NVRAM guide it's hard to sort them all out and you probably know all the right questions.

Designare Z390
Radeon RX 580
i9 9900K
Mojave 10.14.6
Clover 5103
No problem. Some things to do and to double-check:
  • Perform a CMOS Reset. This is a great way to detoxify the system. It will set BIOS parameters back to factory defaults, so be sure to configure BIOS once again, always starting with Load Optimized Defaults.
  • Make sure MSR 0xE2 is still unlocked by typing setup_var_3 0x5C1 at the grub prompt.
  • If you recently upgraded from Clover 4xxx to Clover 5xxx, check that the old drivers64UEFI folder is deleted (and trash emptied).
  • Also check that EmuVariableUefi is not present in the new CLOVER/drivers/UEFI folder.
  • And remove Clover "rc" scripts as described in the Native NVRAM mini-guide.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-02-27 at 09.39.53.png
    Screen Shot 2020-02-27 at 09.39.53.png
    100.9 KB · Views: 76
  • Screen Shot 2020-02-27 at 09.40.13.png
    Screen Shot 2020-02-27 at 09.40.13.png
    266.7 KB · Views: 79
If the system is unstable, then a BIOS update will most likely not make it any better. The best thing is to install a fresh copy of macOS on a spare cheap SATA SSD (maybe 128GB or 256GB) and check if the system is stable. Then install one of your DAW applications/drivers at a time and again check for stability.

Also try to determine if there is any repeatable pattern to the crashes or freezes. Does it happen only when running a certain application, or only when waking from sleep, or only when connecting/disconnecting an external device, or only when....?? In other words, determine whether the system is crashing randomly or only when a certain specific action takes place.

It's only when I'm using a specific program. I'm working with tech support right now. Going to send them some logs and see what they say. I was hoping upgrading the bios might help with over locking stability and or overall system stability.

Hmm. I suddenly lost the extra charging power on my USB ports... So my iPad won't charge. Haven't changed anything. Used to work fine.

Any tips?

Interesting. Please check System Information --> USB to see how much power is (a) available and (b) required, as shown in screenshot below. However, I'm not sure if Thunderbolt/USB-C ports will appear in the list.

View attachment 451779
Why doesn't it appear in the usb list?

• Also check CCC's Advanced Settings --> AFTER COPYING FILES to see that EFIClone-v4.sh is being selected from the Scripts folder and not some other folder.
  • And check that the Last Modified date/time for EFIClone.log matches the date/time of the last backup.
Screen Shot 2020-02-26 at 1.43.09 PM.png

Back