Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

From what I'm reading on here the newest Bios update is working good? Was thinking about updating my bios and doing a fresh Mojave installation possibly. My main DAW (Reason 11) is really unstable and I don't know what's causing it. Figure a fresh install may help with stability.

oook! thank you! just a question: MSI 570 Armor is good? I have 3 apple monitor dvi, how I have to connect to this gpu? which ports do I have to use? There 1 DVI port, 1 hdmi and 3 DP... maybe I can use my apple adapter from dvi to hdmi for one monitor, another one with the DVI already on the gpu and then another adapter for dvi to DP?
BTW I Really appreciate your work! I'm also following your other amd build and all the problem with thunderbolt on taichi and creator. Thanks for your time man <3
I just played the YouTube video -- that is very helpful. Some comments/questions:
  • Which Apple monitor are you using?
  • Looks like that monitor only supports DVI and perhaps VGA?
  • Are you currently using video adapters for all three monitors? Like this?
    • HDMI-to-DVI adapter
    • USB-C (DisplayPort) to DVI adapter
  • It seems as if all three monitors are experiencing video frequency synchronization problems. This often happens (a) with the use of adapters and (b) with older monitors.
  • We generally recommend monitors that natively support HDMI 1.4 or newer, and DisplayPort 1.2 or newer.
  • If you purchase an AMD RX 570 or 580, it seems you'll still be forced to use adapters for 2 of 3 monitors! Not sure how reliable that will be, but it's worth trying.
  • The MSI 570 Armor is good, but please purchase it from a retailer that allows you to easily return the card if it does not work with your three monitors.

If you disconnect and reconnect the HIDs, do they resume?

Yep, did try that right before I posted. I did just clock up the RAM to 2700 mhz... which it is a lot more responsive now but I'm not thinking that would cause it.

From what I'm reading on here the newest Bios update is working good? Was thinking about updating my bios and doing a fresh Mojave installation possibly. My main DAW (Reason 11) is really unstable and I don't know what's causing it. Figure a fresh install may help with stability.
If the system is unstable, then a BIOS update will most likely not make it any better. The best thing is to install a fresh copy of macOS on a spare cheap SATA SSD (maybe 128GB or 256GB) and check if the system is stable. Then install one of your DAW applications/drivers at a time and again check for stability.

Also try to determine if there is any repeatable pattern to the crashes or freezes. Does it happen only when running a certain application, or only when waking from sleep, or only when connecting/disconnecting an external device, or only when....?? In other words, determine whether the system is crashing randomly or only when a certain specific action takes place.

I don't know if the problem I have is for the cheap usb-C adapters, i got also a warning, see the image below:
WhatsApp Image 2020-02-26 at 13.03.39.jpeg

i thinks in english is the usb warning about the devices using too much power

I just played the YouTube video -- that is very helpful. Some comments/questions:
  • Which Apple monitor are you using?
  • Looks like that monitor only supports DVI and perhaps VGA?
  • Are you currently using video adapters for all three monitors? Like this?
    • HDMI-to-DVI adapter
  • It seems as if all three monitors are experiencing video frequency synchronization problems. This often happens (a) with the use of adapters and (b) with older monitors.
  • We generally recommend monitors that natively support HDMI 1.4 or newer, and DisplayPort 1.2 or newer.
  • If you purchase an AMD RX 570 or 580, it seems you'll still be forced to use adapters for 2 of 3 monitors! Not sure how reliable that will be, but it's worth trying.
  • The MSI 570 Armor is good, but please purchase it from a retailer that allows you to easily return the card if it does not work with your three monitors.
  1. the 3 monitor I have are the Apple Cinema Display with DVI cable already installed.
  2. so just a dvi cable that I can't change it.
  3. I have exactly that configuration. on all 3 monitors I'm using 3 adapters, one is the dvi to hdmi from apple store and everything's fine, then i'm using 2 USB-C (Thunderbolt 3 compatible) to DVI adapters that I posted before on previous post.
  4. I know that with AMD RX 570 could be some problems for the adapters but hopefully it will works!
  5. I'll buy from amazon ;)

I don't know if the problem I have is for the cheap usb-C adapters, i got also a warning, see the image below:
View attachment 451776

i thinks in english is the usb warning about the devices using too much power

Interesting. Please check System Information --> USB to see how much power is (a) available and (b) required, as shown in screenshot below. However, I'm not sure if Thunderbolt/USB-C ports will appear in the list.

Screen Shot 2020-02-26 at 9.05.38 AM.png

Interesting. Please check System Information --> USB to see how much power is (a) available and (b) required, as shown in screenshot below. However, I'm not sure if Thunderbolt/USB-C ports will appear in the list.

View attachment 451779
in fact they are not listed there :(

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-02-27 at 07.37.34.png
    Screen Shot 2020-02-27 at 07.37.34.png
    71.2 KB · Views: 86
Hi guys,

I've just installed Mojave on a very similar build to this and I'm having some issues with it when it boots up. I'm trying to drive 2 x 4K monitors and one 1080p projector.

Sometimes when it finishes booting up and it gets to the user menu, one screen is black, the other one has the wallpaper on it. To fix this, I need to shut the monitor down then power it back up.

Any idea what might be causing this?

I'm also having an issue with playing Netflix content on Safari. I was using iMac19,1 with iGPU enabled. Thought I'd switch to iMacPro1,1 with iGPU disabled, now I'm getting a HDCP error. Looks like the issue is still being tackled by WEG people. I honestly don't really need the iGPU unless it helps with something. I work with video apps, mostly Premiere Pro, After Effects, etc.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Success (so far) !

After struggling with boot memory allocation errors following native nvram guide on my build (which led me to disabling iGPU), i finally found a way to use latest OCquirks release with iGPU enabled, iMac19,1 SMBIOS without Memory Allocation Error and without the need for memoryallocation.efi nor OsxAptioFix2Drv-free2000.efi nor Aptiomemoryfix.efi
Apparently some Gigabyte Z390 boards may need to edit the OCQuirks plist to change some options.
Maybe this solution has been discussed already in this long thread, but then i think i missed it..

Right now i got a few boots and reboots without issue, iGPU VDA Decoder "Fully Supported" in Hackintool, working QuickView and Preview apps (were broken without iGPU).
Also my settings for iGPU memory in Bios are 64MB DVMT Pre Alloc, 256MB Total GFX Memory, 512MB Aperture Size. Cannot remember if these are the default values or if i change something in my former attempts to make the iGPU work. If anyone has this info i'd like to know.

However i cannot apparently quote the page from which i got the solution that worked for me (!), and i would find dishonest to post the steps without quoting. But i suggest to search for 'how to get z390 motherboards working on a hackintosh' and look at the extra steps for Gigabyte Z390 motherboard. ;)

Back