Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Maybe this has been discussed, searching for Videotoolbox does not yield any posts. I am a newbie in this particular area.

I use FFworks for rendering video H.264/H.265. FFworks (uses ffmpeg) suggests I need to be able to use VideoToolbox for access to my RX580. Activity monitor shows no activity on the GPU.

VideoProc says everything is available and enabled on the GPU and Heaven max's the card.. So there is some level of access to the card available.

Original Build and still on 14.4 (it aint broke so no need to fix) :) I use for production.

Suggestions, directions... links to posts to read..

Thanks

In the CLOVER/kexts/Other folder, you have VirtualSMC.kext but you're missing these two:
  • SMCProcessor.kext
  • SMCSuperIO.kext
Both of these are in the same ZIP file as VirtualSMC. You can download the ZIP from here.
I am really sorry. I am a noob. This is my 1st time building hackintosh. Your build and guide looks promising that is why I went for it. I will add the necessary files and try doing the steps again. I will get back to you.

I ended up returning the RX 5700 XT for a refund today, and decided to try going with a Radeon VII. It should be here mid next week.

I'm a bit concerned as they are difficult to find, so I ended up going with the XFX Radeon VII. I know XFX has a poor reputation with Hackintoshs, but in my research, it would seem that supposedly *all* Radeon VII are reference cards, and there are supposedly no differences. So..... hopefully this one works without issue.

I will report back when I get the card. My understanding is, I should be able to just simply pop it in and it should just work.
@jleahy2 I've been running the VII since August and I can say that it's been rock solid without any issues. I can't even recall a single freeze requiring a restart. I'm still on Mojave and won't be updating for a bit. I also don't do any audio production, but do spend a small amount of time doing video editing. I use OBS for video capture with a green screen so I would certainly be unhappy with frequent crashes while trying to record videos.

@jleahy2 I've been running the VII since August and I can say that it's been rock solid without any issues. I can't even recall a single freeze requiring a restart. I'm still on Mojave and won't be updating for a bit. I also don't do any audio production, but do spend a small amount of time doing video editing. I use OBS for video capture with a green screen so I would certainly be unhappy with frequent crashes while trying to record videos.
The Radion VII works superbly in my system also. The only problem I found was noise, as the fans were extremely loud when the card was pushed in games. I ended up water-cooling mine - now superb :)

Hi guys, after working for a full week with no issues on my brand new Hackintosh I bumped into a curious issue.

My Audio interface is a USB Metric Halo ULN-2 3d. It has external PSU of course, before this test I had it on a blue USB 3.0 port. After a single fail I had-described below-and for the duration of this test I have it connected into one of the USB 3 DAC-UP ports of my Designare.

Since the MoBo keeps USB ports powered after shutdown, my ULN never actually seemed to disconnect from the system before turning it off by powering down (as indicated by the LEDs in its front panel). Normally this wouldn't bother me but on one startup (admittedly 1/100 startups I've done) my ULN wouldn't communicate with MacOS without disconnecting and connecting again. I tried the following settings in BIOS with the following results:

Peripherals>USB 3.0 DAC-UP 2>Disable USB Power:
I thought this would do the trick, but it ended up disconnecting my ULN2 entirely and not being able to work inside MacOS. Felt curious as ULN2 is powered by its own PSU and I thought it had no need for USB Power. Seems that is not the case.

Power>ErP>Enabled:
This actually did the trick, after shutdown my ULN2 now disconnects properly and reconnects upon Power On again. BUT I ran into a new small issue, whenever I turn on my PC now, there is a small hiccup as in it turns on for 1 sec (fans and all), turns off for another 1 sec, and then turns on normally.

I see the solution to my problem lies in ErP probably but I want to try and fix that small issue as it feels like something is going wrong upon PC startup, solutions I've tried with no result:
-Disconnected all USB devices from MoBo and powered up, hiccup still there.
-Started up fast after Shutdown so that my devices don't have the time to actually disconnect. Hiccup still here.
-Set Peripherals>LEDs in system power on>off. Hiccup still there.
-Disabled Memory XMP profile. No difference.
-I also tried disabling Thunderbolt support altogether since I don't currently use any TB device. No difference.

Any more ideas? Anyone aware of this particular issue?

(BIOS VERSION F7)

Last edited:
@CaseySJ ,

Again, I have to say what a wonderful thread this is! I find more and more of my free time is spent staying current with your build, and I don't even have a Designare! This is my go-to discussion to stay up on techniques and development. Your willingness and patience to help the least experienced of us seems un-ending. Many times you provide context and explanations in an effort to educate along the way. Truly amazing! If there was a PhD in Hackintosh, I think you'd have one. A big thank you.

Edit- While this is @CaseySJ's thread there are other regular contributors. Thanks to you all as well!

Last edited:
Sorry. I think I understand now. The Clover Boot Menu does pop up both with the Mojave HD and when I use F12 and plug in the USB install disk. The USB install disk does contain an EFI Folder and a clover folder inside of it.

Pic is of USB install F12
Do you get "Error loading kernel cache" when booting with both USB install disk and internal SSD? When booting with either of these disks, we must choose one of those "APFS" volumes -- the one that says Boot macOS <...> from <...>.

Do you get "Error loading kernel cache" when booting with both USB install disk and internal SSD? When booting with either of these disks, we must choose one of those "APFS" volumes -- the one that says Boot macOS <...> from <...>.

The error is occurring when I boot from the APFS titled BootMacOS from Macintosh HD. It’s this same error pictured below. When I boot using the USB install disk it takes me to the window that gives options including install macOS, disk utility etc

is there a way to reinstall the EFI partition without wiping the rest of the Macintosh HD drive because for the hell of it I put in a small 256gb M.2 drive and installed macOS following the guide. I can boot up from there and see Macintosh HD and everything appears to be ok, which leads me to think it’s just the EFI and maybe the Systems/Library kexts. It appears to be just an issue with the boot up.

Next time I’m gonna clone the hard drive when I know it’s working well, boot up and all.

Attachments

• F88F6A1F-453B-436F-A4F6-F3405D95F093.jpeg
    F88F6A1F-453B-436F-A4F6-F3405D95F093.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 61
Last edited:
@jleahy2 I've been running the VII since August and I can say that it's been rock solid without any issues. I can't even recall a single freeze requiring a restart.
The Radion VII works superbly in my system also. The only problem I found was noise, as the fans were extremely loud when the card was pushed in games. I ended up water-cooling mine - now superb :)

Excellent news! Thanks guys! New card should be here Tuesday.

Back