Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Thanks @CaseySJ for Gold Build! All just works.

I have one q, Front Panel USB 3.1 ports works at "Up to 480 Mb/s" only.
I understand my front ports can handle only 3.0 protocol, but 480Mb/s is it just USB 2.0
Hello @DuDlik

Front panel USB 3.x ports should work at their full rated speed.
  • What is the make/model of your PC case?
  • If you suspect there's a problem with front panel USB 3 ports, please download and run IORegistryExplorer and select File --> Save As..., then upload the saved file.

I updated to Clover 5103 and no longer need to do SMBIOS to boot with 32GB UDIMMs.

I left it set to Dual Channel and set it back to 4 slots instead of the fake 8 slots, and removed the Memory section entirely.

Boots, works, seems to detect everything fine.
That's good news! Please share a screenshot of that section so others can see exactly how you set it up.

That's good news! Please share a screenshot of that section so others can see exactly how you set it up.

Apparently that was my other test file.

I don't need the Dual Channel or Slot Count either.

So it looks like this.

Screen Shot 2020-01-08 at 9.26.16 PM.png

FINALLY UniBeast 10.0.0 Release

@CaseySJ

Now that I got some things out of the way I was finally able to test the native NVRAM DSDT. I got a copy from your Open Core (OC) guide, though since I'm currently using Clover I am using it there. I have native NVRAM now, several reboots/shutdowns persist properly, and I was able to remove EmuVariable and all the RC scripts.

Unfortunately, I didn't get to actually test this, as my Windows install is botched. But I applied a fix I mentioned before.

In OC the UIAC and EC devices will get injected into Windows, which leave annoying unknown devices in Device Manager. I was using a DSM to power them off depending on OS. I applied that to the DSDT. I wasn't able to test Windows, but it didn't break in Mac, and I don't see much reason why it wouldn't work in the DSDT.

Attachments

• DSDT.aml
    162.3 KB · Views: 87
Can you please elaborate on this?
  • What is the make/model of your monitor?
  • Are you connecting DisplayPort output from an AMD GPU to one or both of the DP-In ports on the GC-Titan Ridge card?
I am getting a new BENQ monitor tomorrow.I will see how it works out. I strongly believe its monitor I am currently using.
Thanks anyway for your expertise

The primary difference between the original config.plist and the one I modified is the use of WhateverGreen to set iGPU to headless platform ID 0x3E980003. This is, in effect, Pro Apps Option 2.

There are always various experiments to try (one by one) such as:
  • Add agdpmod=pikera to boot arguments.
  • Disable the AMDSupport kernel patches.
  • Disable WhateverGreen by adding boot argument -wegoff
  • Remove SSDT-Z390-DESIGNARE-RX580-V2.aml from CLOVER/ACPI/patched. (This should be done anyway.)
  • Uncheck InjectIntel from Clover Configurator --> Graphics and attempt Pro Apps Option 2 again.
  • Update to latest Lilu, WhateverGreen, and AppleALC.
  • Update to latest Clover.
It's strongly advisable to have a full bootable backup made before starting these experiments.

I've been going through these with mostly no luck.
A very strange issue I ran into was consistent kernel panics after I had updated Lilu, WhateverGreen and AppleALC. Any ideas on what could be the cause of this?

I went back through the boot logs and found that the boot argument shikigva was giving me trouble. It appears it is no longer needed or supported in WhateverGreen 1.3.5

The macOS system seems to be running very stable now. I haven't experienced the USB freezing issue since updating the kexts as well as Clover.

One of the side affects of updating Clover though is I cannot boot into my Windows drive anymore. Attempting to do so results in it immediately BSODing and rebooting. I can boot fine into it from the Windows Boot Manager, so I know it's not a problem with the EFI partition on the Windows disk. Any reason this would happen? My macOS drive with Clover is a SATA Samsung 850 Evo installed in Sata 0 and Windows is an NVME Samsung 970 Pro installed in the top M.2 slot.

Last edited:
I've been going through these with mostly no luck.
A very strange issue I ran into was consistent kernel panics after I had updated Lilu, WhateverGreen and AppleALC. Any ideas on what could be the cause of this?

I went back through the boot logs and found that the boot argument shikigva was giving me trouble. It appears it is no longer needed or supported in WhateverGreen 1.3.5

Will test with the new kexts and see if the USB still freezes.

Unfortunately, there's too little information in the file. I suppose the old Nvidia GPUs are just barely supported nowadays...

Thanks for looking into it. I pulled my Maxwell card and replaced it with this older MSI card to get me going and figured it was good enough for now. I'm going to table this issue for now and consider getting an AMD Radeon Pro card. I need a decent GFX card for the Windows half of this machine for CAD work.

On the upside, I fixed my Preview hang problem with Jpeg files by adding "shikigva=32 shiki-id=Mac-7BA5B2D9E42DDD94" to the boot loader. Next on the list is my NZXT Kraken pumps, and lights.

Thanks for taking the time to create this guide!

Can someone please help me get TB3 working with my monitor. My monitor is on the list of working devices. But, when I plug it in I just get a black screen. There has been times where the machine would freeze or boot loop if a TB3 cable was plugged in. I would like to use my LG 32UL950 with TB3. All works well using the HDMI and DP ports coming from the RX 580. Any suggestions?

Back