Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

What this “freeze“ actualy means? How it happens and how do you know that it “freezes”?
Well everything just as I state "freezes" on the Hack, I can't do anything either with mouse or keyboard, the only option is a restart or shutdown of the machine.
But so far since my last post I haven't had any freeze, Doing a reboot soon to see if the problem still is present.

Well everything just as I state "freezes" on the Hack, I can't do anything either with mouse or keyboard, the only option is a restart or shutdown of the machine.
But so far since my last post I haven't had any freeze, Doing a reboot soon to see if the problem still is present.

Still doesn't describe the situation well enough. Can be just USB issue, where USB ports are lost but comp actually is working.

Still doesn't describe the situation well enough. Can be just USB issue, where USB ports are lost but comp actually is working.
Hmm okay, I don't have any USB attached to the system at the moment, I've just restarted the computer and it froze 1 minute after i logged in trying to reply to your message.
How do I properly check if something is tinkering with the USB ?

EDIT
I have attached a screenshot of the USB's I think haha

Attachments

• Screenshot 2019-12-29 at 20.28.02.png
    Screenshot 2019-12-29 at 20.28.02.png
    140 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:
Hmm okay, I don't have any USB attached to the system at the moment,

How about mouse? Keyboard? :D

have you tried to watch some move? Does movie freeze too or you just loose the mouse and keyboard?

Please be very specific!

How about mouse? Keyboard? :D

have you tried to watch some move? Does movie freeze too or you just loose the mouse and keyboard?

Please be very specific!
Yeah, sorry.
I have mouse and keyboard of couse, and movies freezes, too, unfortunately.
But I think the assumption of the USB creating the problem might be true.
The fact is that I don’t really know what to post to be super helpful.
I read somewhere to use Hackintool to fix the USB headers ?
Otherwise can some of you tell me what information is needed for being able to help?
Thanks guys !

This is relevant here. Similar topics have been discussed in this thread, including crackles and pops with various audio interfaces. In some cases the cause was a ground loop issue; in other cases it was somehow due to Memory XMP Profile 1 being enabled in BIOS; etc. Please search this thread for keywords such as "crackle" or "pop" or "distortion"...
Thanks.

I got it to work.
Disabled the onboard sound, WiFi and onboard graphics (since I don't need any of them anyways). This makes it a lot better.

I will report later if changing "Memory XMP Profile 1" does make it better/different.

Also, I've done some rewiring. But I'm pretty sure I have/had no ground loop problems in my setup.

Still does not feel like Live 10.1.6 can utilize the full potential of the computer, compared to my older (legit) iMac.

Yeah, sorry.
I have mouse and keyboard of couse, and movies freezes, too, unfortunately.
But I think the assumption of the USB creating the problem might be true.
The fact is that I don’t really know what to post to be super helpful.
I read somewhere to use Hackintool to fix the USB headers ?
Otherwise can some of you tell me what information is needed for being able to help?
Thanks guys !
The CLOVER folder you posted earlier looks fine, so the problem is most likely elsewhere.
  • USB ports are defined in the CLOVER folder (ACPI/patched, to be exact) and the ports are okay.
  • Because the system is stable under Windows, there's no reason to suspect hardware.
  • But there may be a reason to suspect things like:
    • The macOS NVMe SSD. What is the make/model of the SSD?
    • Any changes made to the operating system after it was installed.
  • Are the freezes always occurring in some application such as Google Chrome?
  • Do the freezes occur if you leave the system alone for some time?
For truly random freezes, my advice is always something like this:
  • Obtain a low-cost SATA SSD (128GB or 256GB) and an external USB 3.0 enclosure (such as this one).
  • Install fresh copy of Catalina on the external SATA SSD.
    • Use new serial numbers just as specified in the Catalina Mini-Guide.
  • When installation is done, do not sign in to iCloud.
  • Do not install any of your apps.
  • Do not copy any of your documents.
  • Just boot from the external SATA SSD and use the standard macOS built-in apps for a couple of days.
    • Is the system stable?

Last edited:
NOTE 5a: The Samsung 970 EVO Plus has a known firmware issue that prevents it from working correctly. Avoid the Samsung 970 EVO Plus, but standard 970 EVO and 970 EVO Pro are okay. UPDATE: May 2019: Samsung has issued a firmware update for the EVO Plus that finally fixes the problem. It is necessary to either (a) use Samsung's Magician software in Windows or (b) create a self-booting USB flash disk to update the firmware. Thanks to @mobi and @Ploddles for the tip.

Seems that the only way is to use Magician now as self booting USB image is removed.

Thank you so much for your advice. I’m feel much more comfortable to work in Win environment than hackintosh. That’s why I choose to install Hackintosh first, hackintosh likes a new language for me since so many thing still make me confuse. No pain no gain :) I’ll take your advice. If this time it keep broken, I’ll install windows first.
I chose all the components base on the advice on Youtube and updated everything to the new version. The tricky thing for newbie hackintosh is there are so many tutorials out there that make me confuses which one I should follow. Before I found the instructions that fit perfectly for my specs, I had tried some other tutorials. I kept falling because the specs on those procedures are lightly different than mine; until I found this awesome topic.
It would be better if he can update the tutorial on page 1021 to the first page, so that everybody can see and follow it. I didn’t see it, kept following the tutorial on the first page until I got a problem and tried to look for solution on Youtube, saw someone on the Youtube post the instruction link to the page 1021. Lol. You guys have done great jobs here.

@CaseySJ Huge congratulations on the successful build! Thanks for the hard work on this.

I came up with a very similar config, but with i9-9900K CPU so I've been watching your progress here with a great attention, while waiting for all of my ordered hardware to arrive. So now, everything is working great in my build, except one, very important thing for me: Apple Thunderbolt Display doesn't work. I'm really in love with this display, but still can't manage it to work in my new system.

I'm using DP/DP cable from DP output of my Sapphire RX 580 to DP input of the Z390 Designare. And then I connect my Thunderbolt Display through the Apple TB3/TB2 adapter to one of the two Thunderbolt ports of the motherboard.

Have been playing with various BIOS settings, connecting and reconnecting monitor before boot and after macOS load. No luck.

Before building this machine, I've been using my old MacBook Pro 2012 with Apple Thunderbolt Display.
Maybe there's a benefit of having a working mbp+tb display combo, so there's a chance for some kind of dsdt patch/acpi fixes/any other info extraction.

Really hope to make Thunderbolt display to work with my new system. Highly appreciate if someone can point me to the right direction to solve this.
What did you have to do differently with an i9 vs this build?

Back