Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

• If you turn off WiFi and use a wired Ethernet connection, does that work?
  • If both WiFi and wired Ethernet don't work, then it's possible that some firewall software might be the cause. For example, I use NetBarrier and VirusBarrier by Intego Software. After upgrading from Mojave to Catalina, it was necessary to re-permission those apps to access various system services. The app should walk you through the procedure.
  • If only WiFi is affected, try the following:
    • At the Clover Boot Menu press F1 for help and press the appropriate function key to Clear NVRAM.
    • Open System Preferences --> Network, select Wi-Fi on the left side and click the "-" icon to delete it from the list. Don't worry, it will come back automatically when you reboot.
    • Reboot and check WiFi.
The Ethernet is working. I tried clearing the NVRAM and removing the WiFi adapter. After rebooting, it didn't come back automatically, but I re-added it and still no good. I'm holding off on doing a backup as I may need to roll back to Mojave from my previous backup. This is what it looks like in system report.
Screen Shot 2019-11-21 at 9.53.32 PM.png

The Ethernet is working. I tried clearing the NVRAM and removing the WiFi adapter. After rebooting, it didn't come back automatically, but I re-added it and still no good. I'm holding off on doing a backup as I may need to roll back to Mojave from my previous backup. This is what it looks like in system report.
View attachment 436998
Are the antennas securely connected? And the NO-CNVW SSDT is still present in CLOVER/ACPI/patched folder?

when I first did the original guide instal the USB ports did not work so I used the alternative method but I probably missed something :
@FormerUser-594785 for using the Hackintool method to provide us the following alternative solution for enabling 15 USB ports:
  • SSDT-EC.aml <-- this should be copied to CLOVER/ACPI/patched folder in the EFI partition of the Mojave SSD
  • USBPorts.kext <-- this is the kext containing the USB port list. It should be copied to /Library/Extensionsand to CLOVER/kexts/Other. Then run Kext Utility to rebuild kernel caches.
here I my io registry file
As you can see, there are no SS ports defined, which means no USB 3 capability. Do you have USBInjectAll.kext in /Library/Extensions and /CLOVER/kexts/Other?

Screen Shot 2019-11-21 at 7.23.13 PM.png

Last edited:
The ethernet is working, so I tried clearing the NVRAM and removing the wifi adapter. After rebooting, it didn't come back automatically, but I re-added it and still no good. I'm holding off on doing a backup as I may need to roll back to Mojave from my previous backup. This is what it looks like in system report.View attachment 436998
OK, so this is strange, but I'll take it. I tried a few reboots, turning wifi on/off and now I don't get the constant password rejection, but it doesn't initially connect. it takes about 3 minutes after the desktop loads for it to re-acquire my network, but it will connect. I'm leaving well enough alone and doing my backup. I'm guessing the NVRAM did the trick, so thanks.

As you can see, there are no SS ports defined, which means no USB 3 capability. Do you have USBInjectAll.kext in /Library/Extensions and /CLOVER/kexts/Other?

View attachment 437007

yes I found the USBInjectAll.kext . in that location. I managed to make a USBPorts.kext with hacking tool according to my motherboard and I replaced it. I also copied that same USBPorts.kext I to CLOVER/kexts/Other in the EFI partition and Then run Kext Utility to rebuild kernel caches . it works now , I will do some more troubleshooting but I think all is well now

Step 2: Install Catalina (note the difference between BIOS Boot Menu and Clover Boot Menu)
  • Insert the USB install disk into the Hackintosh and boot.
  • Press F12 at BIOS Splash screen to bring up the BIOS Boot Menu and select the USB flash disk.
  • When Clover Boot Menu appears, select Boot macOS Install from Install macOS Catalina
  • Follow the onscreen progress and report any issues.
  • When the installer starts, you'll need to run Disk Utility from inside the installer, select your target Catalina NVMe SSD, and format it.
    • Be sure to select View --> Show All Devices and click on the parent name of the Catalina SSD. Failure to do so will be catastrophic.
    • Then select:
      • Name: Catalina (you can change it later)
      • Format: APFS
      • Schema: GUID Partition Map
    • Then begin the macOS installer.
  • NOTE 1:
    • Whenever the macOS installer starts, you'll see a lot of log messages on screen because verbose mode is enabled in config.plist.
    • When the last log message appears on screen there might be a 2-3 minute wait before the screen switches to graphics mode. Just be patient. If the delay is more than 7 minutes, let us know.
  • There might be one or two reboots.
    • Each time the system reboots, press F12 at BIOS splash screen to open the BIOS Boot Menu.
    • Select the USB install disk from the BIOS Boot Menu.
  • Now you'll be back at the Clover Boot Menu:
    • Whenever you see a boot option called Boot macOS Install from Catalina, choose that option.
    • Do not select the USB disk.
  • NOTE 2:
    • MacOS installation will resume and you'll see X Minutes Remaining.
    • It may take up to 10 minutes for the number "X" to begin to count down.
    • So if you see, for example, "28 Minutes Remaining", it may stay like that for 10 minutes before the number 28 counts down.
    • If it takes more than 15-30 minutes to begin the countdown, let us know.
  • If everything goes according to plan, you'll be greeted with the Catalina Welcome screen.
    • Follow the onscreen guide.
    • You may also sign in to iCloud when asked.
  • If you encounter any problems, stop and let us know.
Step 3: Post Installation
  • We'll make this really simple for now.
  • Run Clover Configurator which was copied to the USB flash disk in Step 1.
    • Click Mount EFI on left sidebar of Clover Configurator
    • Mount EFI partitions of (a) USB flash disk and (b) Catalina SSD.
    • Copy the entire EFI Folder from EFI partition of USB disk to EFI partition of Catalina SSD.
    • If you like, you can open config.plist from the Catalina EFI partition and remove the -v Boot Arguments flag. This will stop the detailed log messages at startup and shutdown.
  • Eject USB flash disk.
  • Reboot directly from Catalina SSD.
  • Does it work? Report any issues.

Update: Just got through performing this procedure successfully, so consider it validated, but not widely tested.

Thank you @CaseySJ, you are awesome!

I am quite new to Hackintosh and had done Mojave successful by following your guides, and I try to fresh Catalina follow your mini guide, everything seems no problems so far, many many thanks to you!

Some points for reference when I installing Catalina:
1. In Step.2, starts to copy files after SSD formatted, it will auto reboot when 3 minutes remains, I think it's normal according to Mojave experience.
2. After the reboot, press F12 to select “Boot macOS Install from Catalina”, the screen becomes black so I cannot see any status, but I guess the progress is still running, so I keep waiting... after around 10 minutes, it auto reboot again. (So I can confirm the progress is ongoing even the screen is black).
3. Press F12 to select "Boot macOS Install from Catalina" again, the screen becomes twinkling, after 30sec later, system auto pronounce some sentences (I already plug SPK to audio line-out), so seems audio is working, but screen is still twinkling, no auto reboot (I wait 10 minutes), so I press reset according to same experience when I install Mojave...
4. I press reset button to reboot machine, select Boot from Catalina, everything goes normally... create account, bla bl a bla...

One more question: in your mini guide, there is no mention "Post-Install-Only-Copy-to-Library-Extensions", does it mean I don't need to care about it (since so far seems working normally), or I have to copy them into same folder later?

I am so exciting to share you seems everything is working fine so far, but I have to check more later.

FYR, thank you again.

*** Some conclusions with the old (original) LG UltraFine 5K monitor ***
  • Hackintosh:
    • 20 Gbps cable and 40 Gbps cable produce the same result: only a single-stream DisplayPort signal at 4096x2304 will be sent to the LG 5K.
      • This happens whether we use the iGPU to drive the two Thunderbolt ports, or connect the DP-In port from a discrete GPU.
  • Image Quality Difference:
    • The real-world perceived difference in image quality between a 4096x2304 HiDPI signal and a 5120x2880 HiDPI signal is very small. Hackintosh owners can be satisfied with the image quality from a 4096x2304 HiDPI output (DisplayPort 1.2 single stream).
Special thanks to @joevt for the invaluable technical feedback and @JayShay for carrying out all of the tests.

Hopefully we will test the new 2019 LG UltraFine 5K monitor soon.

Hi there,

A little bit confused and there is too long thread that cannot find exact confirmation...

Can someone comment if below monitors works perfect?
1) LG 5K2K - LG 34WK95U-W (Amazon) which is 5120x2160 resolution.
2) LG 5K - LG 27MD5KB (Amazon), which is 5120x2880 resolution.

My graphic card is: Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 590 GAMING 8G (rev. 2.0)
MB is: Gigabyte Z390 DESIGNARE (rev. 1.0)

I will connect RX 590 "DP out" to Z390 "DP in", and connect TB cable from MB to LG monitor, does it work to get correct resolution (says not render, output correct 5120x2160 or 5120x2880?)

Sorry if I miss something updated information, I am trying most time to read this thread as possible, thank you all.

Yes it's best to remove both of those entries in Arbitrary!

And then I can start the installation and after that I will create my own USB SSDT and go further :)
I will keep you updated about the mainboard & i5-9600K

I am quite new to Hackintosh and had done Mojave successful by following your guides, and I try to fresh Catalina follow your mini guide, everything seems no problems so far, many many thanks to you!
Hello @bangkuo,

Welcome to the forum and glad to hear you were able to install Catalina with the Mini-Guide! Thank you for describing your experience.
Some points for reference when I installing Catalina:
1. In Step.2, starts to copy files after SSD formatted, it will auto reboot when 3 minutes remains, I think it's normal according to Mojave experience.
2. After the reboot, press F12 to select “Boot macOS Install from Catalina”, the screen becomes black so I cannot see any status, but I guess the progress is still running, so I keep waiting... after around 10 minutes, it auto reboot again. (So I can confirm the progress is ongoing even the screen is black).
  • What is the make/model of your monitor?
  • Which RX 590 are you using?
  • Are you using HDMI or DisplayPort?
One more question: in your mini guide, there is no mention "Post-Install-Only-Copy-to-Library-Extensions", does it mean I don't need to care about it (since so far seems working normally), or I have to copy them into same folder later?
Because the Mini-Guide is still in Experimental stage we should not copy those kexts to /Library/Extensions. Once the guide has been better tested, I'll change the final steps so that we do copy those kexts into /L/E and rebuild kernel cache. Keeping the kexts only in the Clover folder helps us with troubleshooting.

Hi there,

A little bit confused and there is too long thread that cannot find exact confirmation...

Can someone comment if below monitors works perfect?
1) LG 5K2K - LG 34WK95U-W (Amazon) which is 5120x2160 resolution.
2) LG 5K - LG 27MD5KB (Amazon), which is 5120x2880 resolution.

My graphic card is: Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 590 GAMING 8G (rev. 2.0)
MB is: Gigabyte Z390 DESIGNARE (rev. 1.0)

I will connect RX 590 "DP out" to Z390 "DP in", and connect TB cable from MB to LG monitor, does it work to get correct resolution (says not render, output correct 5120x2160 or 5120x2880?)

Sorry if I miss something updated information, I am trying most time to read this thread as possible, thank you all.
  • LG 34WK95U-W
    • You can connect a DisplayPort 1.4 cable from the RX 590 directly to the monitor.
      • You will get full 5K2K display.
    • You can also connect this monitor via Thunderbolt (RX 590 --> DP-In needed).
      • There's a chance you'll get full 5K2K, but I have not seen proof of this (as far as I remember).
  • LG 27MD5KB
    • This monitor can only be connected via Thunderbolt (RX 590 --> DP-In needed).
      • You will get maximum resolution of 4096x2304.
    • More details can be found in the Thunderbolt 3 Experiences section of the build guide as shown below:
      Screen Shot 2019-11-22 at 8.32.20 AM.png

Back