Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Re:10.15.1
If you update, be sure to update WEG first!
If you don’t...you’ll be sorry.
Do you mean we need WhateverGreen 1.3.4 that is not yet on the acidanthera GitHub site, but can be downloaded from here?

Do you mean we need WhateverGreen 1.3.4 that is not yet on the acidanthera GitHub site, but can be downloaded from here?

My RX 570 no longer needs WEG.
Booted with -disablegfxfirmware and Inject ATI with renames change GFX0 to IGPU and change PEGP to GFX0.
No idea if this would hold true for the RX 580 too.

Yes 1.3.4
I got it from TonyMac

And if you think the update has failed after first re-boot...wait

Last edited:
Does it disable both i211 and i219? I want to disable just one.

F7 lets you disable one at a time. There's one that says onboard, and the other is PCI (or PCH, I can't remember). I believe the onboard is the i219, the PCH is the I211. Sorry, not in front of my machine to confirm, but if memory serves right those were the names.

I believe I tested that last night, as the last thing I did was just test F12, and I believe I had pulled the Windows drive. Will confirm that when I'm testing this evening. Might as well let me know how to remove NVRAM boot options so I can make sure there is nothing left referencing Windows.:)

To remove NVRAM boot options:

1. launch shell from Clover boot menu.
2. type bcfg boot dump, examine the numbers of the various options, look for Windows boot manager.
3. Now that you have option number, type bcfg boot rm XX where XX is the option number. For example, bcfg boot rm 00.
4. Run the bcfg boot dump command again to verify that the option has been removed and that there are no others; if so, delete it using the bcfg boot rm XX command.

HTH :)

F7 lets you disable one at a time. There's one that says onboard, and the other is PCI (or PCH, I can't remember). I believe the onboard is the i219, the PCH is the I211. Sorry, not in front of my machine to confirm, but if memory serves right those were the names.
I am looking now for an option to disable the i219 in F8. Can't find any. PCH LAN Controller option highlighted by @CaseySJ disables i211 only.

Please try the attached config.plist -- remember to copy serial numbers back into SMBIOS. This version sets Platform ID to 0x3E9B0007 and applies connector patches. The changes are in Devices --> Properties.

Your CLOVER/kexts/Other folder and /Library/Extensions folder must contain:
  • Lilu
  • WhateverGreen
Thanks Casey,

I tried again but had the same issue as before. The screen would not get past a certain line of code after a short while.

However, I Googled around and found someone who was experiencing a similar issue with a slightly different Mobo. Another person provided help by sending their EFI folder to see if it would work for them. I downloaded the attached EFI folder and copied to my EFI Partition on my boot drive. Not sure why or how, but it solved my issue of not being able unlock my integrated graphics and only having only 7MB of VRAM. After rebooting, I now have fully accelerated 1536 MB of VRAM and weird choppy glitches are gone.

Here's the post where I found the file https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/gigabyte-z390-ud-only-7mb-uhd630-mojave-10-14-2.276854/

I am attaching the EFI folder that seemed to work for me.

Wondering if you can take a look to see what the difference is.

Thanks again for all your help and creating this killer guide.

Cheers!

Attachments

• EFI_metan levis.zip
    28.4 MB · Views: 107
To remove NVRAM boot options:

1. launch shell from Clover boot menu.
2. type bcfg boot dump, examine the numbers of the various options, look for Windows boot manager.
3. Now that you have option number, type bcfg boot rm XX where XX is the option number. For example, bcfg boot rm 00.
4. Run the bcfg boot dump command again to verify that the option has been removed and that there are no others; if so, delete it using the bcfg boot rm XX command.

HTH :)

Thanks for the tip on NVRAM! I did find an entry to Windows boot manager and removed it.

That seems to have removed my issue with just the F12 Boot Menu. Choosing F12 and proceeding to the Mac drive results in a successful boot now.

So this has really narrowed things down for my board. Now it is clear, I cannot have my Windows drive connected to the motherboard. I converted my Windows drive to UEFI from within Windows so that Clover could boot it. Now that the motherboard sees it as a UEFI option, that seems to be what is altering things and giving me the allocations error. I tested this with AptioMemoryFix and OsxAptioFix3Drv. While the latter still allows me to boot with iGPU enabled, it throws the allocation error when my Windows drive is connected. The. interesting thing is before I converted it to UEFI last night, I could leave it attached, as long as I didn't select it in any way.

This has really helped eliminate some things. I'm still looking for that perfect scenario of seamless dual boot.

Any ideas?

Back