Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

@CaseySJ - Sorry to bombard you with an unrelated question, so quickly.

Initially, I had built a system, following your instructions meticulously with an Intel i9-9900KF and with only the discreet AMD RX 580 8 GB installed. However, as a video editor and photographer using mainly Premiere Pro, after reading about the use of the integrated iGPU of the i9-9900K and it's use in HVEC and H264 compute tasks, I had an opportunity to switch over the i9-9900KF for a i9-9900K - literally removed the KF and installed a K in it's place. Identical setup. Now, of course I get Integrated Graphics options in the Designare BIOS. However, hitting "Enable" under chipset, causes a crash on startup as can be seen in the attached snap of the verbose screen. All is fine again when it is set back to "Auto" it. No iGPU is detected under PCI devices, as yours is. (I assume because it is disabled.) Just to test the iGPU in Windows, I have removed the RX 580 and reenabled the iGPU in BIOS. It works fine with a HDMI monitor attached.

I have followed your instructions on running in Headless Mode under the Going the Extra Mile section, specifically following the Mini-Guide: Using Hackintool to Set Headless Platform ID 0x3E980003. VideoProc shows all enabled but only lists the RX580.

As a final note on may move to the i9-9900K, I am also getting regular freezes, mouse-movement only, and then, after a few secs, all returns to normal. Sadly, I cannot see what is causing this under Activity Monitor, and iStat is not responsive enough either - could this be a symptom of incorrect settings, etc., as well?

Thanks, as always.

Attachments

• IMG_6031.jpg
    IMG_6031.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 59
  • Screenshot 2019-10-29 at 11.22.46.png
    Screenshot 2019-10-29 at 11.22.46.png
    118.4 KB · Views: 87
Hello Andre,

Comments / suggestions:
  • Please provide the most current config.plist with serial numbers removed.
  • What is the make/model of your monitor? Is it a TV?
  • Are you using a USB-C to DisplayPort cable connected to one of the two USB-C/Thunderbolt ports on the rear IO panel?
Attaching my config file
I recently bought a ViewSonic VX2476-SMHD monitor
I am connected with a USB-C to DP cable and connected to one of the two Thunderbolt/USB-C ports on the I/O panel

Thanks

Attachments

• config.plist
    8.7 KB · Views: 72
When the BIOS is flashed a retraining of the memory is performed. Your ability to boot MIGHT be temporary (then again it might not...). You can solve all kinds of memory allocation issues by re-flashing the BIOS but they can end up ultimately being a temporary resolution as the memory map gets deployed and redeployed over other changes in the BIOS. I just bring this up as it could be that you make a slight change int he future and then can no longer allocate the starting pool.

I'm aware that could break at any moment, just today booted from a backup with OSXAptioMemoryFix2DRV-free2000, then when I went back to my main drive with Aptiomemoryfix wasn't able to boot, once again reflashing Bios F6 fixed the issue, but probably I'll stay with OSXAptioMemoryFix2DRV-free2000 seems the most stable memory fix for this board at the moment

@CaseySJ - Sorry to bombard you with an unrelated question, so quickly.

As a final note on may move to the i9-9900K, I am also getting regular freezes, mouse-movement only, and then after a few secs, all returns to normal. Sadly I cannot see what is causing this under Activity Monitor, and iStat is not responsive enough either - could this be a symptom of incorrect settings, etc., as well?

Thanks, as always.

I had a similar mouse issues with my Bluetooth mouse and as was suggested here:

moving off 2.4ghz WiFi to 5ghz WIFI solved the lag issue for me.

I had a similar mouse issues with my Bluetooth mouse and as was suggested here:

moving off 2.4ghz WiFi to 5ghz WIFI solved the lag issue for me.

Thanks @evlthoma - it was actually system freezes, but seems to be okay now.

You just select the Windows option from clover's boot menu (usually boot Microsoft efi from *). Clover will not touch Windows AFAIK, unless you put SSDT tables and such in the ACPI Windows folder. So selecting the entry from Clover should be good enough. :)

However, be aware that once you boot Windows, it may (most likely will) set itself as the default boot OS, so you may need to going in to UEFI setup and change it. TO avoid this we usually rename the Windows bootloader from bootmgfw.efi to bootmgfw-orig.efi. This seems to do the trick...

Keep CSM disabled, and test to see if Windows boot alone damages the macOS boot. Once I get some time (probably not today) I'll perform some tests of my own to see, since I'll be running a triple boot on this system :)

Let us know what you find...

I was able to configure clover to boot my Windows drive successfully, so that looks like a good option. Now here are the results of my testing.

Constants: CSM disabled, AptioMemoryFix.efi and iGPU enabled- along with the usual setting in BIOS. (Now using F10 BIOS)

First boot into macOS-successful
Second boot into Windows Via Clover-successful
Third boot into macOS-FAIL
At this point, just reloading settings in BIOS does not allow me to boot into MACOS-continue to receive allocation error.
I have to either Reset the CMOS or ReFlash the BIOS.

Next test, same constants as above:

First boot into macOS-successful
Second boot press F12 to bring up boot menu
Select Clover installation on Mac Drive
Attempt to boot macOS-FAIL

This is consistent with my earlier testing. I performed this scenario an additional 4 times with the same result. Just bringing up the Boot Menu and proceeding to my Mac drive causes an allocation error. Again, I must either reset the CMOS or ReFlash the BIOS. By setting my default boot drive to my Mac drive in the BIOS I can boot and operate with no issues.

@totototo Did you ever use the F12 boot menu? If no, that might explain why you had success on the Designare and @CaseySJ did not.

@CaseySJ In your testing did you use the F12 boot menu.

It is clearly causing problems for me and it appears that you need a fresh BIOS, reloading settings does not work.

@CaseySJ
My Asus X99 Deluxe II is working great with your great EFI sharing. However I just realise that thunderbolt isn't working. I'm using the AsusThunderbolt 3 card that came with the MB. It used to work before with the KGP build guide though not hot-pluggable. Previously, I have WINDOW installed to 'activate' the thunderbolt card and installed the driver etc. The thunderbolt .

Apologies,. I checked my notes again, the Thunderbolt was actually working fine with your file. S,o it was working and suddenly stop working now.

I'm not sure whether the card has died because, when I first plugged in a Thunderbolt drive, it couldn't mount the drive but it did power up the drive. After a few more tries, the drive didn't power up anymore. I tried with other Thunderbolt device and with the same result.

I have also try to reseat the Thunderbolt card in other PCI slot to no avail. When I boot into WINDOWS, I can't find any Thunderbolt device, too. In the BIOS I can see the Thunderbolt settings. I'm thinking of buying another Thunderbolt card to try, but just want to make sure that I have taken all the necessary troubleshooting steps.

May I know which Thunderbolt card are you using?

Last edited:

The experiment has concluded and the results are in:

All experiments conducted with this configuration:
  • BIOS version F8
  • SMBIOS: Mac mini 8,1
  • MSI RX 580 Gaming X in PCIe slot 1
  • Fenvi FV-T919 WiFi/BT in bottom short x1 slot
  • PCIe NVMe in M2M slot
  • PCIe NVMe in M2P slot
Purpose of Experiment:
  • To determine the conditions under which AptioMemoryFix works.
Observations:
iGPU Intel CNVi CSM Support Fenvi WiFi/BT slide=0 Result
Enabled Enabled Enabled Installed checked FAIL
Enabled Enabled Enabled Installed unchecked FAIL
Enabled Enabled Disabled Installed checked FAIL
Enabled Enabled Disabled Installed unchecked FAIL
Enabled Disabled Disabled Installed checked FAIL
Enabled Disabled Disabled Installed unchecked FAIL
Enabled Disabled Disabled Removed checked FAIL
Enabled Disabled Disabled Removed unchecked FAIL
Disabled Disabled Disabled Removed checked SUCCESS
Disabled Disabled Disabled Removed unchecked FAIL
Disabled Enabled Enabled Installed checked SUCCESS

Conclusion:
  • AptioMemoryFix works with my system configuration only by (a) disabling IGPU and (b) setting slide=0.
I just booted my system with AptioMemoryFix to see if it would work - using Catalina and f8 bios
Intel CNVi (WiFi) enabled
CSM disabled
Slide=0
Bluetooth card (similar but not the same as Fenvi) installed
Internal Graphics - enabled

So far all seems to work OK - I have Sidecar working, VDA Decoder Fully supported, Messages, iCloud

Fingers crossed

is this for Catalina? Also which EFI folder are you using. This might be the same issue I am having. Thanks.
Good point. There's that OS version question again. This is going to come up quite a lot because we're right in the middle of the transition from Mojave to Catalina.

I've updated the post accordingly. Catalina 10.15 w/Supplemental Update.

Thanks to this amazingly-documented CaseySJ build, I just got my own new system to boot into MacOS internal NVMe SSD within past 24 hours.

ONE NOTE for those using the Post-Install Files.zip attachment here:
After Post-Install I wasn't seeing any PCI devices in System Info (and was hoping to find not only my RX580 GPU but also the 2 Titan Ridge Thunderbolt controllers there). I checked the SSDT files in my CLOVER/ACPI/patched folder and noticed that the .aml was missing from the SSDT-Z390-DESIGNARE-TB3HP-V4 file. [I downloaded again and it was in the .zip file that way.]

So simply add .aml to that TB3HP SSDT and you'll be good to go. [All my PCI devices are now visible.]
Glad to hear it and welcome to the forum!

Although SSDT-Z390-DESIGNARE-TB3HP-V4 does have the aml extension, it is hidden. If you click Get Info in Finder, you will see something like this:

Screen Shot 2019-10-29 at 8.33.13 AM.png

But if hiding the extension is in fact a problem -- and the SSDT does not get processed by Clover during boot -- then I will fix it momentarily.

UPDATE: Just tested the Thunderbolt SSDT with its extension hidden -- it still works.

Last edited:
Back