Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

For the problem 1) I have tested everything, and it's a problem of Logitech receiver. When I put a USB key near him, I am loosing the bluetooth signal and I need to put my mouse closer. Really strange... But both USB are working. Does the problem occur if you move the USB flash disk to the USB port on the left side next to FAN switch? => This port is disabled because I insert the Fenvi card in the same port on motherboard.

For the problem 2) I understand that the Fenvi is installed like me right ?

Problem 3) Your link on amazon seems broken, maybe you have another one ? Can you confirm me than the signal is better ?
Here's the link, but any 3-pole antenna should improve reception. There's are before-and-after comparison screenshots in that post showing the improvement in WiFi. I haven't objectively checked the Bluetooth signal strength, however.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07NKD6VS6/?tag=tonymacx86com-20

I recommend the GC-Alpine Ridge instead of the GC-Titan Ridge. When you install either of these cards, only a Thunderbolt 3 monitor is expected to work. We cannot expect any other Thunderbolt devices to work because we are not connected the THB_C header. No one has tested this to determine which devices will and will not work, so you will be taking a chance.

With the GC-Alpine Ridge, the on-board Thunderbolt controller will still work, which means all other Thunderbolt devices will still connect. But with GC-Titan Ridge, you will lose the on-board controller.
Aha that's great news! The LG 34WK95U will work out of the box with this controller or needs tweaking/3rd party software etc? Also from your experience Casey, is it going to work at 60hz at full res? If LG Ultrafine 5k has native support with Alpine ridge controller then I think it will work much easier with 5k2k monitor cause of less pixels.

Please post a screenshot of Apple Menu --> About this Mac --> Displays such as the following:
View attachment 427034
I would like to see the actual GPU names given to the two monitors. Those names might be the same as in your screenshot, but I'd like to confirm.

Screen Shot 2019-09-23 at 5.26.56 PM.png

The WX7100 is named as AMD RX580 in the settings, but recognized in the activity monitor :S
I'm assuming the next step is to check system settings:
Screen Shot 2019-09-23 at 5.29.03 PM.png
Screen Shot 2019-09-23 at 5.30.11 PM.png

There are several Thunderbolt docks on the market, but prices are relatively high (compared with USB C docks). All of them should work. The following have been verified per Thunderbolt 3 Experiences section:
Others:
thank you so much

Aha that's great news! The LG 34WK95U will work out of the box with this controller or needs tweaking/3rd party software etc? Also from your experience Casey, is it going to work at 60hz at full res? If LG Ultrafine 5k has native support with Alpine ridge controller then I think it will work much easier with 5k2k monitor cause of less pixels.
The LG should work out of the box with the GC-Alpine Ridge (which is also cheaper than the GC-Titan Ridge). Full 60Hz should be expected to work at full 5K2K resolution. Just need to connect two DP-In cables.

Disclaimer: Buyer beware!

Here's the link, but any 3-pole antenna should improve reception. There's are before-and-after comparison screenshots in that post showing the improvement in WiFi. I haven't objectively checked the Bluetooth signal strength, however.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07NKD6VS6/?tag=tonymacx86com-20

Interesting. How did you pick which ports connect the antenna to? Is the antenna that came with the MoBo better than the ones attached to the Fenvi T919?

The LG should work out of the box with the GC-Alpine Ridge (which is also cheaper than the GC-Titan Ridge). Full 60Hz should be expected to work at full 5K2K resolution. Just need to connect two DP-In cables.

Disclaimer: Buyer beware!
Great!! Im buying the controller then! I see that there are 2 revisions of Gigabyte Alpine Ridge (Rev1.0 and Rev2.0). Shall I buy the newer and lastly do I need specific SSDTs for Alpine Ridge controller or it is plug n play and will work with current settings on Designare z390?

First thing that comes to mind is to check CPU temperatures while rendering. If temps are getting to near critical levels, the system may halt.

For iMacPro 1,1 we should delete all IGPU properties from Clover Configurator --> Devices --> Properties. That's the meaning of "No WEG properties".

Thanks for the tips CaseySJ. I took some photos of iStats, Intel Power Gadget and HWmonitor after Davinci Resolve Render crashed. Seems like temperature are pretty good for CPU and GPU. Rendering out from Premiere Pro 2019 is fine though.

Attachments

• IMG_3021_1.jpg
    IMG_3021_1.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 67
  • IMG_3022_1.jpg
    IMG_3022_1.jpg
    974.9 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_3023_1.jpg
    IMG_3023_1.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 66
  • IMG_3020_1.jpg
    IMG_3020_1.jpg
    689.9 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:
For iMacPro 1,1 we should delete all IGPU properties from Clover Configurator --> Devices --> Properties. That's the meaning of "No WEG properties".

Is this correct?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2019-09-24 at 8.29.46 PM.png
    Screenshot 2019-09-24 at 8.29.46 PM.png
    364.2 KB · Views: 67
Back