Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

NO, Alpine is just Display - none above works. My LG 5K works in 4K mode with TB capabilities with DP-in on Designare
If you have Alpine, then you can connect your 5K to that to get 5K instead of 4K. Then you can post a new AGCDiagnose.

If the perceived difference between these 2 images is negligible then does it really matter whether we send a 4K signal to a 5K monitor or we send a 5K signal to a 5K monitor — for the same 2560x1440 effective UI resolution?

The screenshot I posted of the 2018 Mac Mini at the Apple Store was Image 1 (sending 4K signal to 5K monitor). And the image does look very good.
I have a Dell UP2715K 5K and have seen the difference. Here are 5 modes in order of expected quality:
2560x1440 60Hz timing (uses display scaler)
2560x1440 at 5120x2160 (uses GPU scaler)
2560x1440 at 3840x2160 (uses GPU and display scaler)
2560x1440 HiDPI at 3840x2160 (uses GPU and display scaler)
2560x1440 HiDPI at 5120x2160 (no scaler)

I've attached photos for 4 of them. I couldn't get "2560x1440 at 3840x2160" mode enabled.

I could not get 4096x2304 to work on my Dell. That mode on the LG might look better than the Dell's 3840x2160 modes.

1 2560x1440.JPG2 2560x1440 at 5120x2880.JPG
3 2560x1440 HiDPI at 3840x2160.JPG4 2560x1440 HiDPI at 5120x2880.JPG

Had no luck getting HDMI audio to work. Work through an aux cord so I've just been using that. Every effort has resulted in not booting up. Think it may be with using Hackintool showing Coffee Lake and not Kaby? Any idea on how to get it to not show Intel UHD 630 7mb? Everything I try results in not booting
Let's start by confirming your hardware details (apologies if some of the questions were asked previously):
  • Gigabyte Z390M Gaming motherboard
  • Intel i5 9400 CPU (if so, this is Coffee Lake)
  • No Discrete GPU, but iGPU set to non-headless mode
  • Which monitor are you using?
  • Do you have a URL to the exact HDMI cable that you're using?
Feel free to compress and upload the current CLOVER folder from EFI partition of your Mojave SSD.

I could not get 4096x2304 to work on my Dell. That mode on the LG might look better than the Dell's 3840x2160 modes.
Here are close-ups of a 4096x2304 HiDPI 4K signal from the Mac mini to the LG UltraFine 5K.

This image is what we might see from a normal viewing distance:
Screen Shot 2019-08-15 at 1.02.34 PM.png

This image has been zoomed to 1:1 (for pixel peeping):
Screen Shot 2019-08-15 at 1.02.51 PM.png

The image was captured with a handheld iPhone X. In person, the image on screen looks very good.

A native 5K to 5K image will look best as we expect, but if this particular 4K to 5K scaled rendition also looks very good, then many of us can be happy with the result.

Everyone in this thread who has posted a comment about their LG UltraFine 5K has had only positive things to say about the image quality.

This certainly does not mean that we should end the quest for a true 5K to 5K rendition. It only means that the next best thing may also be good enough. And depending on what type of cable LG ships in the box, maybe many real Macs around the world are also sending 4K HiDPI signals to the LG 5K (with their owners probably being unaware of it).

Last edited:
ok some interesting finds with my real MacBook Air 2018

Hot Plug 20Gbps cable into LG 5K = 4K reported in Hardware profiler and 4K SwitchResX

Reboot with 20Gbps cable into LG 5K = 5K reported in Hardware profiler and 4K SwitchResX

Hot Plug 40Gbps cable into LG 5K = 5K reported in Hardware profiler and 5K SwitchResX

So maybe there is hope on using the dual input Titan Ridge card or the IGPU on the Designare. But in reality I couldn't use the IGPU over the Radeon VII

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-08-15 at 2.30.53 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-08-15 at 2.30.53 PM.png
    1,019 KB · Views: 67
  • Screen Shot 2019-08-15 at 2.34.31 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-08-15 at 2.34.31 PM.png
    540.9 KB · Views: 63
Actually this is not conclusive. When I was going through the issues with having to warm boot into Windows to get the Thunderbolt to work on Mac, I accidentally had OsxAptioFix2Drv-free2000.efi AND OsxAptioFixDrv-64.efi installed. Removing OsxAptioFixDrv-64.efi enabled Thunderbolt 3 to work on the Hackintosh internal controller WITHOUT a warm boot.

The Titan Ridge card WAS seen in Windows and devices connected to it were seen, but only as displays - no camera, audio etc. I didn't test much further and returned the card. I am tempted to buy it again and see if we can get it working.

Confirmed - the Alpine Ridge isn't seen by Windows or Hackintosh, but works as video output
This guide is suggesting that you need to update firmware on Alpine/Titan in order to be seen https://climbjoe.tv/lg-ultrafine-5k-customac-build-guide-and-review/. It's not the same mobo and scenario but could be something to try out.

It could also be interesting to update firmware on the display using the LG app on the Apple Store.

Honestly I use the "More Space" option on the 5K LG (one notch up). From what I can tell, when using this, it is just literally blowing up your pixels. This scaling even looks a little worse when done the proper way on my real MacBook Air 2018. Whatever way the Hackintosh is doing it looks super clear. So it you HAVE to be on the 5K LG with no "More Space" option to see all the 5K pixels, then I'm perfect right now with the way it works.

@joevt got a friend with the new LG 5K 2019 and a MacBook Pro 2018 (potentially with Titan Ridge inside) but when he executes the command it shows this (see image below)
309A98F4-A641-421B-81CE-937EBD613C01.png
ç

EDIT: nevermind, I get that error too but the .txt is created anyway

Last edited:
ok some interesting finds with my real MacBook Air 2018

Hot Plug 20Gbps cable into LG 5K = 4K reported in Hardware profiler and 4K SwitchResX

Reboot with 20Gbps cable into LG 5K = 5K reported in Hardware profiler and 4K SwitchResX

Hot Plug 40Gbps cable into LG 5K = 5K reported in Hardware profiler and 5K SwitchResX

So maybe there is hope on using the dual input Titan Ridge card or the IGPU on the Designare. But in reality I couldn't use the IGPU over the Radeon VII
Now we're getting somewhere! On a real Mac the use of a 40 Gbps cable is producing the intended effect of using two DisplayPort streams to render a true 5K image.

When you compare the true 5K image with the previous 4K-based image, do you notice an improvement in sharpness and clarity? Does one image look noticeably better than the other?

Honestly I use the "More Space" option on the 5K LG (one notch up). From what I can tell, when using this, it is just literally blowing up your pixels. This scaling even looks a little worse when done the proper way on my real MacBook Air 2018. Whatever way the Hackintosh is doing it looks super clear. So it you HAVE to be on the 5K LG with no "More Space" option to see all the 5K pixels, then I'm perfect right now with the way it works.
Have you tried the 40 Gbps cable on the Hackintosh? If so, what is the SwitchResX resolution and pixel clock with that cable? There are 2 ways to check this:
  • Option 1: Connect LG 5K to the Alpine Ridge card, and connect two DisplayPort cables from the Radeon VII to the two DP-In ports on the Alpine Ridge.
  • Option 2:Disconnect any cable from DP-In port on the rear IO panel. Then set Platform ID to 0x3E9B0007 (I believe you are already running in this mode due to the 3 monitors) in order to enable video output from the iGPU. Connect LG 5K monitor to either of the two Thunderbolt ports on the rear IO panel, but disconnect all other monitors. Then check SwitchResX resolution and pixel clock.
    • This test will determine whether the motherboard is able to multiplex two DisplayPort streams through a single TB3 port.
    • Because this motherboard has a 2 TB3 ports and an HDMI port, it means that all "DP" connections are used up, so we don't expect you to see a true 5K signal, but it's worth checking...

Back