Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Your configuration looks correct. With the BIOS changes and modified EFI folder, how far do you get? What problem(s) do you see?

Graphics glitches from RX 580 are very rare. Do you think you might have (a) a bad cable, (b) an uncertified cable for the type of signal such as 4K 60Hz, or (c) or weak connection?

What is the exact make/model of the RX 580?

Hi again :)

Thanks CaseySJ... It looks like the BIOS settings from Rag and your Kexts did a very good job. The graphics glitches are gone and the system (besides some rare gpurestarts) works quite stable. I will investigate the rare crashes.

My RX 580 is a MSI Radeon RX 580 Armor 8GB (I think the same like yours)... actually I have two now :) and I had these problems with both of them. So I am really happy, that Mojave (even as 10.14.6) looks pretty stable on my machine now.

Thanks a lot

Wawanee

This is my first ever PC build let alone Hackintosh. I have gotten almost all the parts together. I'm just waiting on my Noctua cooler for I really want as quite as possible build. I really appreciate all your work CaseySJ and all the members who have contributed to this thread for I have been reading for quite a while now.

I would like to add an optical drive to my build and I was wondering if I could take the old after market Blue-Ray burning I have in my MacPro and still use it. it is a Pioneer BD-RW BDR-207D?

I have purchased a Kingwin 2.5" and 3.5" Multi-Function Hot Swap Rack to put in one of my bays of my Apevia X-SNIPER2-RD ATX Mid Tower Gaming Case (I like the design and color). I was hoping to use a SSD to swap in and out for backup in here.

Because I will loose SATA ports when using the Samsung 970 PRO Series - 1TB PCIe NVMe - M.2 Internal SSD, I have also purchased one of the recommended 4 port SATA PCI cards. In my old MacPro I used all my SATA ports and even though I am migrating my data to a 4TB drive, I would like to reuse some of my SATA drives as scratch disks for things like Premiere and Cinema 4D.

If there any potential conflicts with what I am doing please advise. Thank you all again.

@YossarianKen44, the aftermarket Blu Ray burner will work. It uses an internal SATA connection so just avoid the SATA ports that become deactivated when an NVMe SSD is installed. The other components you mentioned are all okay. Glad you chose the Samsung 970 PRO instead of the 970 Plus. That will save you some hassle. Good luck with the build!

2kb AppleALC.kext?? Bad file

I checked it out, and you are correct, I deleted the file. (Strange, all were compiled by Hackintool and oddly my system booted well without AppleALC.kext.)

Last edited:

I don't recognize those lines. Usually seen at top of screen during Apple progress bar.

Here is more information about the fix:

jaymonkey said:
The pink/purple lines are caused when the Apple AMD driver initializes and tests the dGPU's VRAM. However, it seems that the VRAM test overruns the VRAM memory and spills into the display framebuffer memory causing the pink/purple artifacts.

The latest master builds of Lilu (1.3.8) and WhatEverGreen (1.3.1) work together to disable the AMD VRAM memory test which resolves the issue of the pink/purple artefacts. There is no public binary release of these two kext's yet so you either have to compile both yourself using Xcode or wait for the next public release.

So you're NOT using the custom aml provided in the guide for your USB config, correct? I may try that and see if it changes things for me.

Bobbert - Yes, I am using custom aml for my USB config provided at the beginning of this post,

Yes. Are you having problems with USB devices on the LG 5K or something else?

Hi, it's earlier in this thread but I am not able to get Thunderbolt working through the monitor or directly through the port with a TB3 device. Do you have a working TB3 config with the Designare? Thinking I might fresh install and try again...

Sorry for another reply, I did get everything up and running.
The only thing that isn't working is sleep/wake. It will go to sleep with fans off but when trying to wake nothing happens after everything starts back up and the monitor does not wake up.

Back