Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Hi CaseSJ,

You are genius. I have tried your suggestion to install Windows in it and update the firmware of that NVMe drive. The freezing problem seem disappear. (Zero freezing found out of 10-15 reboot testing.) Before I updated the firmware, freezing problem happen every time after I rebootED. I can't 100% conclude that "old firmware" is the root cause but it must be related problem. If i have any new finding,I will update you and the community.

I can run Windows smoothly if I select to boot the Windows drive first in BIOS. However, i can't boot into Windows if I boot into the Mac OS drive. When I boot into the macOS drive, Clover bootloader can start normally and all 4 Windows related drives and 3 Mac OS drives are listed. However, the system will halt if I select anyone of the windows drive. (I can boot normally into Mojava.) Is there anything I missed?

Keith
That's better! :)
  • When you boot into Clover, does the system halt/crash if you select Boot Microsoft EFI Boot from EFI (or something like that)?
  • Did you recently install Windows? If so, maybe it's not so bad to reinstall Windows like this:
    • Install macOS NVMe SSD in the bottom M2P slot.
    • Install Windows NVMe SSD in the top M2M slot.
    • If there is an EFI/WINDOWS folder in the EFI partition of the Mojave SSD, delete the WINDOWS folder.
      • Do not delete EFI/CLOVER/WINDOWS.
      • Instead, only delete EFI/WINDOWS (if it exists).
    • Now reinstall Windows. But when you get to the Format screen in the Windows installer, delete all partitions in the current Windows disk so that the whole disk appears as Unallocated. Then click Next or Continue.

Hi, I really appreciate all the time you invested into this guide. I’m planning to do a hackintosh in a Z390 Designare as well same confitg as you but I also want to play on Windows. I saw on your guide that you can disable slot 2. Is it possible to disable PCIe slot 1 because I’m planning to install the RTX 2080 Ti to get x16 speeds?

Do you also know if it’s possible to disable RX 580 in Windows to get the x16 speed on the first slot instead of x8?

Also, should I have different BIOS profile for Windows and for hackintosh?

Hi, I use a clean NMVe disk in the upper NVMe port. The Mojave disk is detached from the system.

Sorry for the update: all is working now, even dual boot.

Windows dual boot is working:
- install macOS with manual on Page 1 with macOS NMVe disk on Top slot.
- remove macOS NVMe disk from system
- change BIOS to Windows 7/10 WHQL (nothing else!)
- install Windows on a clean SSD on the top NMVe Slot (with all other SATA and NVME removed)
- update Windows to latest supported version
- install MacOS NMVe on the bottom NMVe slot (and connect the rest of the SATA disks)
- change BIOS to Other OS
- change BIOS boot order to macOS NMVe disk
- boot

Clover menu give all the boot options, windows and macOS!

Hi, I really appreciate all the time you invested into this guide. I’m planning to do a hackintosh in a Z390 Designare as well same confitg as you but I also want to play on Windows. I saw on your guide that you can disable slot 2. Is it possible to disable PCIe slot 1 because I’m planning to install the RTX 2080 Ti to get x16 speeds?

Do you also know if it’s possible to disable RX 580 in Windows to get the x16 speed on the first slot instead of x8?

Also, should I have different BIOS profile for Windows and for hackintosh?
Hello @Diegoortiz2000,
  • When you install a GPU in Slot 1 and nothing in Slot 2, then Slot 1 gets full x16 speed.
  • When you install a GPU in Slot 1 and also in Slot 2, then both slots get x8 speed.
  • When we disable a GPU in Slot 2 (or Slot 1), we don't actually disable it from the PCIe bus. We just change the Device ID and Vendor ID to 0xFFFF (decimal -1) so macOS does not know what device it really is. This prevents macOS from loading a device driver.
    • But both Slot 1 and Slot 2 will still operate at x8 speed.
My suggestion is to run benchmarks with the GTX 2080 Ti using both Slot 1 and Slot 2 to see whether it makes any significant difference in the games you play.

I can certainly modify the SSDT to make Slot 1 invisible to macOS. In fact, it's already done (attached file).

Attachments

• SSDT-Designare-Z390-Disable-Slot-1-GPU.aml
    171 bytes · Views: 57
I am stuck during Phase 2 of installation. Everything until then worked after several tries (on different USB ports for the stick). But in phase 2, I get the screen "installing Mojave - about 13 minutes remaining" and nothing happens with the progress bar for hours. In some occasions, the progress bar does fill up a tiny little bit, but then freezes as well. I cannot tell for sure, if it really froze, as there is no mouse curser available during that phase, but nothing happens and I can only shut the computer down.
I have two suspicions:
1) In the preflight check list you mention "BCM94360CS2 WiFi/BT module must be installed onto a PCIe x1 adapter card and inserted into an available PCIe x1" - I have received the card, but I will have to wait for about 2 weeks for the PCIe card to arrive. Is it impossible to even do the first install without wifi?
2) In the bios settings, these two options do not show up in "Chipset":
  • DVMT Pre-Alloc → 64M
  • DVMT Total Gfx Mem → 256M
Otherwise, these are my differences in hardware:
CPU: i9 9900k CPU
GPU: Sapphire Radeon RX 580 Pulse
RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB DDR4-3200 DIMM CL16-18-18-38 Quad Kit
PSU: 760 Watt Corsair AX Series AX760 Modular 80+ Platinum
SSD: 2000GB Samsung 970 Evo Plus M.2 2280 PCIe 3.0 x4 3D-NAND TLC (MZ-V7S2T0BW)
(there is another 1TB m.2 on the second m.2 slot with a Windows 10 installation)
CPU Cooler: Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro RGB
Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic Midi-Tower

Apart from waiting for the PCIe adaptor to arrive and doing everything again from start, I have no ideas how to troubleshoot this and any hints are very welcome. Thanks for bearing with a noob!

I am stuck during Phase 2 of installation. Everything until then worked after several tries (on different USB ports for the stick). But in phase 2, I get the screen "installing Mojave - about 13 minutes remaining" and nothing happens with the progress bar for hours. In some occasions, the progress bar does fill up a tiny little bit, but then freezes as well. I cannot tell for sure, if it really froze, as there is no mouse curser available during that phase, but nothing happens and I can only shut the computer down.
I have two suspicions:
1) In the preflight check list you mention "BCM94360CS2 WiFi/BT module must be installed onto a PCIe x1 adapter card and inserted into an available PCIe x1" - I have received the card, but I will have to wait for about 2 weeks for the PCIe card to arrive. Is it impossible to even do the first install without wifi?
A WiFi/BT card is not necessary. You may add this at any time in the future.

2) In the bios settings, these two options do not show up in "Chipset":
  • DVMT Pre-Alloc → 64M
  • DVMT Total Gfx Mem → 256M
You're right -- these parameters were removed from BIOS F6, but were present in F4. No worries, though. The real problem may be below...

Otherwise, these are my differences in hardware:
CPU: i9 9900k CPU
GPU: Sapphire Radeon RX 580 Pulse
RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB DDR4-3200 DIMM CL16-18-18-38 Quad Kit
PSU: 760 Watt Corsair AX Series AX760 Modular 80+ Platinum
SSD: 2000GB Samsung 970 Evo Plus M.2 2280 PCIe 3.0 x4 3D-NAND TLC (MZ-V7S2T0BW)
(there is another 1TB m.2 on the second m.2 slot with a Windows 10 installation)
CPU Cooler: Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro RGB
Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic Midi-Tower
The Samsung 970 EVO Plus:
Screen Shot 2019-07-03 at 2.48.21 PM.png

You must update the firmware on the 970 EVO Plus using Samsung's "Magician" software in Windows. Without the firmware update, this drive will not work with macOS.

Need some help CaseySJ if you have the time. Second time hackintosh build. First one was over 5 years ago and have not remembered much. I have followed your tutorial to the T. Every time I get the same result. macOS could not be installed on your computer. An error occurred while loading the installer resources.
My build:
Z390 Designaire
I9-9900K
32GB Ballstix Sport Amazon Link
bottom m.2 Samsung SSD 970 PRO Amazon link - Want to use this for OSX
top m.2 Crucial MX500 Amazon Link - Have this for Linux or windows. (Eventually want to try triple boot)
ASUS GTX 670 DirectCU II Product Link - Not tied to this card I can purchase something else if this is an issue. It was my old one on my windows 10 machine.
Corsair Water cooler. Product Link
Case Corsair 680x: Amazon Link

I've tried multiple different USB ports and multiple different USB sticks. To no avail. I have set the BIOS according to the guide. I set the GPU to port 3 (Bottom). I have not removed the on board Bluetooth/wireless card. I don't care to have either working to start. I ordered this Fenvi PC PCI Express WiFi Card BT 4.0 Wireless Network - Amazon Link

any help is appreciated.

Last edited:
@jay2068,

My immediate suspicion is that the macOS installer is corrupted or the download was interrupted. What is the size of Install MacOS Mojave on the USB install disk? Just insert the USB flash disk into your Mac and select File --> Get Info. It should be around 6.x GB.

Also note that the Fenvi card in the Amazon link will not work with macOS. We need to buy the Fenvi FV-T919, which is available from NewEgg and eBay.

Last edited:
Back