Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Something else worth trying: BIOS --> CSM Support --> Enabled.
I think that worked! I restarted, enabled CSM Support in my BIOS, booted MacOS via clover and all (3) attached displays work, my 1080 is recognized in About this Mac, and I seem to have all the GPU acceleration in my Adobe software.

Thank you so much for all your help throughout this process!

If anyone is searching for a solve to unrecognized Nvidia cards in High Sierra with this mobo, this may be the solution for you. I will obviously follow up once I feel the system is stable, but for now this seems to be it.

As this thread has been so useful I wanted to post a few recent updates to my HackinPro i built a week ago.

1. I've spent a lot of time on fan curves and playing with overclocking -- I really want a SUPER quiet computer and by in large I think I've got it now -- I'm not done playing but I'm 'close enough' and I really want to start using the mac for, you know, computer things and stop goofing around with configs. Ultimately I've settled on settings that I'm pretty happy with but I don't think it's worth repeating here as it's really specific to my setup -- My focus was on keeping the fans as quiet as possible and not sweating how warm the CPU gets, all of this with my CPU overclocked to 5GHz (all cores). After some (a lot!) of trial and error, I've come across settings in Bios that seem to let me run at full speed for almost all tasks, will throttle if the CPU gets close to 90" to keep it from overheating and are generally really quiet. My idle temps are nothing amazing (about 40") but I also have a system that is so quiet it's almost impossible to test due to most background noises drowning out the (very little) fan noise. (I have also played with letting the fans spin down to zero and letting the CPU get even warmer in idle but ultimately decided that it wasn't worth it and even a modest amount of RPM's were super quiet and really helped thermally stabilize the system as load varied)
  2. The Carbon Copy Cloner instructions are truly amazing at giving you a sense of security -- I was able to quickly set up a bootable backup and I have so much more confidence now playing with updating or modifying the configs of my computer. One of the first things I did was go into clover configurator and let it update (via install/update Clover) -- It seems there were some older packages and because I had a bootable backup I was a bit more confident to try the automatic update. Much to my surpise I got a much more mac-looking clover menu and the updates fixed at least one problem -- previously my LED Cinema Display built in isight camera (and mic) weren't working -- after I did the update they now work perfectly... (but to be honest I have no idea which package fixed it -- it's just with the bootable backup I'm much more confident to experiment now)
  3. For my backup drive I'm using a 2TB spinning drive built into the case -- I keep it unmounted/spun down most of the time (to keep it from generating uncessary heat and noise) but it's easy to mount and I'll likely set up Carbon Copy Cloner to automatically mount/dismount it.

Thats enough for now...

Hey, first up: Thank you for the awesome work. This must took ages to build!

It's people like you who make me believe in humanity!

My setup:

-Mojave 10.14.5
-I9-9900K
-Saphire RX 580 Nitro
-GB Z390 Designare
-RAM: 32GB Corsair Trident (4x8GB)
-Asus PCe-ac56 Wlan Card (since the onboard card dosen't work at all)

I followed exactly the instructions and your config was the first that can handle thunderbolt so far.

There are only a few things im struggling with:

1.The WiFi card isn't recognized at all. i tried to add AirportBrcmFixup.kext in kext>other----> no fix

2.there is some strange behavior with animations on desktop (no magnification-effect on Dock, no highlighting when in drop down menues, no text appears when hovering mouse above icons).

3.Thunderbolt isn't connecting with my MOTU 16A but it connects perfectly with my Lenovo thunderbolt3 Dock and is also hot swapable.

Maybe someone got similar issues...

Suggestions are highly appreciated.

Last edited:
Apologies for what may sound like a basic question however have tried reading through thread and still little confused.

Followed through the install guide and with careful reading have a working system.

The install guide states that FCP X won't run etc properly. so went to go through the fop x/imovie spoiler and that where stuck/confused.

Haven't completed the yet FCP X works fine. VideoProc shows full H264/HVEC.

Have Clover Configurator 5.4.4.0 installed and when goto

Devices then goto add the PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x2,0x0) then cannot do that.

It adds PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x1f,0x3) greyed and doesn't allow me to edit

Mac OS is 10.4.5 clean install with FCP X 10.4.6
i9 9900K
System Profile shows as iMac 19,1 and About this Mac correctly identifies CPU.

Attached are config.plist with serial number eliminated and also a screenshot of where trying add the device details to get the iGPU headless.

iGPU is enabled in BIOS F6 version

Not sure what done/not done here so any help much appreciated
Hello @mcnallym,

I've modified your config.plist as follows:
  • Set headless platform ID 0x3E980003. Procedure is described here.
  • Injected audio layout ID 16 via Devices --> Properties.
Please try the attached file (rename to config.plist and copy serial number back into SMBIOS).

Attachments

• config-mcnallym.plist
    10 KB · Views: 121
I have been using my new Z390/i9 build as my daily driver for just over a week now, with great success.

Just replacing the EFI on my NVME boot disk was enough to move from Z170 to Z390. Al my non-native kexts are in /Volumes/EFI/EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other, so copying is quite easy.

One thing that works but not great: continuity. It just shows up once in a while, and then stops working. Is this working properly for anyone? Mind you, I had the same behaviour on my Z170x. Airdrop works fine.
Yes it works properly and consistently. Continuity refers to the family of functions shown below. (Link)

Screen Shot 2019-06-23 at 7.22.03 PM_resize.png

The Fenvi FV-T919 is the preferred WiFi/BT card.

Why do these parameters give better performance? What do hey do with the GPU? Where can I find more info about it?
Mine Devices --> Properties tabs are blank.
They are based on this chart, where the bottom row in red is iMac Pro 1,1. Look at the last 3 columns:
  • FCPX H264
  • FCPX ProRes 422
  • QuickTime
This is not a definitive benchmark, but just one of several. These tests were done with Radeon VII (except row 1).

Credit: Peter Paul Chato (YouTube)

Please try the latest Lilu (v1.3.6) and WhateverGreen (v1.2.9).

I installed the latest kexts and it still does it. The display will only be delayed when the power supply is shut off entirely and then turned back on. If you shutdown the computer and then turn it back on without killing the power (with a power strip) it works fine. Why is that?

They are based on this chart, where the bottom row in red is iMac Pro 1,1. Look at the last 3 columns:
  • FCPX H264
  • FCPX ProRes 422
  • QuickTime
This is not a definitive benchmark, but just one of several. These tests were done with Radeon VII (except row 1).

Credit: Peter Paul Chato (YouTube)

My own anecdotal experience and from a couple of other users on this forum have found that Radeon VII owners are probably better off running iMacPro1,1 from a stability point of view as well.

There's something about even running the iGPU in either connectorless mode or regular display output mode in combination with the Radeon VII that seems to cause intermittent issues on boot.

My system was rock solid with the RX 580 from 10.14.1 to 10.14.4 (started out on MacMini8,1 and then transitioned to iMac19,1) but then swapping out the RX 580 for the Radeon VII introduced instability and even strange sleep issues. ie. System would take 3 mins to 'wake up' despite mouse movement with no clicking feedback and even would do this after the monitor switched off with proper sleep disabled in Energy Saver.

It's still early days to say for sure, but switching to iMacPro1,1 seems to have solved all of this for me. I kept the WEG args framebuffer-patch-enable in Properties/Devices enabled and deleted the other ones. I also removed 'shikigva' from boot args and H264+HEVC encode/decode works fine too.

Hey, first up: Thank you for the awesome work. This must took ages to build!

It's people like you who make me believe in humanity!

My setup:

-Mojave 10.14.5
-I9-9900
-Saphire RX 580 Nitro
-GB Z390 Designare
-RAM: 32GB Corsair Trident 4x8
-Asus PCe-ac56 Wlan Card (since the onboard card dosen't work at all)

I followed exactly the instructions and your config was the first that can handle thunderbolt so far.

There are only a few things im struggling with:

1.The WiFi card isn't recognized at all. i tried to add AirportBrcmFixup.kext in kext>other----> no fix

2.there is some strange behavior with animations on desktop (no magnification-effect on Dock, no highlighting when in drop down menues, no text appears when hovering mouse above icons).

3.Thunderbolt isn't connecting with my MOTU 16A but it connects perfectly with my Lenovo thunderbolt3 Dock and is also hot swapable.

Maybe someone got similar issues...

Suggestions are highly appreciated.
Hello @cheliocentric,

Regarding the various issues:

1. I believe the Asus PCE-AC56 uses the Broadcom 94352 chipset so you'll need the following kexts:
  • AirportBrcmFixup.kext
  • BrcmPatchRAM2.kext
  • BrcmFirmwareData.kext
2. Because you have the somewhat finicky "Nitro" version of the Sapphire RX 580, please try "BIOS --> CSM Support --> Enabled" to see if that makes any difference. You should also set Platform ID to 0x3E980003 by following this guide. Let me know if you need assistance.

3. The MOTU 16A is a Thunderbolt 2 device. Which TB3-to-TB2 adapter are you using? Is the MOTU visible in IORegistryExplorer? Feel free to post the IOReg file as follows:
  • Connect the MOTU 16A
  • Run IORegistryExplorer
  • Select File --> Save As...
  • Upload the file

Back