Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

@CaseySJ : thank you for this updated SSDT. I confirm that I can now fast charge my iPhone from the USB 3.1 ports.
View attachment 410535
That is really cool :)
I am finally able to connect by LH Labs Geek Out 450 to the front panel USB 3 port. It's a DAC and headphone amp, so it requires high current. Didn't work before, but works now!

*** Mini Guide: Using Broadcom WiFi/BT in macOS and Intel CNVi WiFi/BT in Windows ***

UPDATE:
This procedure is being revised after further testing... Please do not use at this time.

Purpose:
The presence of multiple WiFi/BT cards will confuse both macOS and Windows. If you purchased a Broadcom BCM94360 WiFi/BT card for use in macOS, you know that we disable the built-in Intel CNVi WiFi/BT module so the Broadcom card can operate properly.

But Windows fully supports the Intel CNVi module and may not support the Broadcom. So we need a way to disable the Broadcom module when running Windows and enable the Intel module.

(Built-in Intel CNVi has more advanced WiFi than the Broadcom 94360. Intel CNVi also provides Bluetooth 5.0 whereas Broadcom 94360 is limited to Bluetooth 4.x.)

MacOS:
  • Enable Broadcom 93460
  • Disable Intel CNVi
Windows:
  • Disable Broadcom 94360
  • Enable Intel CNVi
This mini guide provides a solution, and was inspired by a request from @nadena.
Thank you very much CaseySJ. I will try this solution that you give me. If I use Clover to boot Mojave macOS and Windows 10 and with the Windows device manager, it does not work well.

Could you help me create the SSDTs ? I do not think I can. Thank you very much.

Thank you very much and I will report the result.

Result:
  • When I boot into Windows, the Broadcom WiFi and Bluetooth modules are disabled, but Intel CNVi is enabled. I am able to connect to WiFi and pair Bluetooth devices. It is necessary to connect the antenna that came with the Designare motherboard to the two antenna connectors on the rear IO panel.
  • When I boot into MacOS, the Intel CNVi is disabled, so the Broadcom card is used exclusively for WiFi and Bluetooth.
How to Use:
  • When booting macOS:
    • Just select Boot macOS from Mojave from the Clover Boot Menu.
    • Nothing else needs to be done.
  • When booting Windows 10:
    • First go to Clover --> Options --> Configs --> config-windows.
    • Then choose Boot Microsoft EFI from Windows. (Actual name of volume may be different.)
screenshot0.png

screenshot1.png

screenshot3.png

How to Configure:
  • Mount EFI partition of your Mojave SSD.
  • Copy the 2 attached files to CLOVER/ACPI/patched
    • SSDT-DESIGNARE-Z390-NO-BCM-WIN.aml
    • SSDT-UIAC-DESIGNARE-Z390-V7-WIN.aml
  • Make a copy of config.plist in the same CLOVER folder and give it the name:
    • config-windows.plist
  • Now you'll have these config files in the same CLOVER folder:
    • config.plist (for macOS)
    • config-windows.plist (for Windows)
  • Modify config.plist for macOS as follows:
    • Open the file in Clover Configurator.
    • Click the "+" icon next to DisabledAML as shown and enter the names of the two SSDTs as shown. Click "+" once for each SSDT to create a new entry field.
    • Save the file.
      Screen Shot 2019-06-15 at 7.00.55 AM.png
  • Modify config-windows.plist for Windows as follows:
    • Click the "+" icon next to DisabledAML as shown and enter the names of the two SSDTs as shown. Click "+" once for each SSDT to create a new entry field.
    • Save the file.
      Screen Shot 2019-06-15 at 7.03.55 AM.png
Important Notes:
  • Every time you boot into Windows you must select Options --> Configs --> config-windows. This is not necessary for macOS.
  • The "SSDT-UIAC-DESIGNARE-Z390-V7-WIN.aml" assumes that your Broadcom Bluetooth cable is connected to port HS12. You can check by running IORegistryExplorer and scrolling the tree on left side to XHC. Then expand both HS11 and HS12 and look for BroadcomBluetooth...
    • If you find this on HS11 instead of HS12, please let me know. I will need to give you a different SSDT.
  • This solution also assumes that your Broadcom WiFi/BT PCIe Card is installed in the bottom short PCIe x1 slot.
  • When you run Windows, Device Manager will show the Broadcom WiFi and BT devices with a ? question mark. This is okay. If you check the device properties, you'll see that Device ID and Vendor ID are -1 or NULL. So the devices are in fact disabled.

Attachments

129 bytes · Views: 195
    846 bytes · Views: 212
Last edited:
I'm back up on my brand new Z390 system. Thanks a million everybody who has contributed to this thread and especially to this thread's mom, the one and only CaseySJ! Long live he!

(small pause) But I still have some questions....

Hi CasySJ, I lost the overclocking page for the Designare Z390.
Thanks for your help.
I9900k
64GBRAM 3200 Ripjaws
Raden RX580

Hi CasySJ, I lost the overclocking page for the Designare Z390.
Thanks for your help.
I9900k
64GBRAM 3200 Ripjaws
Raden RX580
Are you looking for Gigabyte's Overclocking Guide? Please see bottom of this post from June 1:

@CaseySJ, just wanted to thank you for making this guide.
This was the easiest hackintosh build I've experienced in the past decade, and I couldn't have done it without all your hard work.
I'll definitely be building another one of these in the near future.

Thanks again for all you do!

*** Mini Guide: Using Broadcom WiFi/BT in macOS and Intel CNVi WiFi/BT in Windows ***

UPDATE:
This procedure is being revised after further testing... Please do not use at this time.

Purpose:
The presence of multiple WiFi/BT cards will confuse both macOS and Windows. If you purchased a Broadcom BCM94360 WiFi/BT card for use in macOS, you know that we disable the built-in Intel CNVi WiFi/BT module so the Broadcom card can operate properly.

But Windows fully supports the Intel CNVi module and may not support the Broadcom. So we need a way to disable the Broadcom module when running Windows and enable the Intel module.

(Built-in Intel CNVi has more advanced WiFi than the Broadcom 94360. Intel CNVi also provides Bluetooth 5.0 whereas Broadcom 94360 is limited to Bluetooth 4.x.)

MacOS:
  • Enable Broadcom 93460
  • Disable Intel CNVi
Windows:
  • Disable Broadcom 94360
  • Enable Intel CNVi
This mini guide provides a solution, and was inspired by a request from @nadena.

Result:
  • When I boot into Windows, the Broadcom WiFi and Bluetooth modules are disabled, but Intel CNVi is enabled. I am able to connect to WiFi and pair Bluetooth devices. It is necessary to connect the antenna that came with the Designare motherboard to the two antenna connectors on the rear IO panel.
  • When I boot into MacOS, the Intel CNVi is disabled, so the Broadcom card is used exclusively for WiFi and Bluetooth.
How to Use:
  • When booting macOS:
    • Just select Boot macOS from Mojave from the Clover Boot Menu.
    • Nothing else needs to be done.
  • When booting Windows 10:
    • First go to Clover --> Options --> Configs --> config-windows.
    • Then choose Boot Microsoft EFI from Windows. (Actual name of volume may be different.)

How to Configure:
  • Mount EFI partition of your Mojave SSD.
  • Copy the 2 attached files to CLOVER/ACPI/patched
  • Make a copy of config.plist in the same CLOVER folder and give it the name:
    • config-windows.plist
  • Now you'll have these config files in the same CLOVER folder:
    • config.plist (for macOS)
    • config-windows.plist (for Windows)
  • Modify config.plist for macOS as follows:
    • Save the file.
      View attachment 411341
  • Modify config-windows.plist for Windows as follows:
    • Save the file.
      View attachment 411342
Important Notes:
  • Every time you boot into Windows you must select Options --> Configs --> config-windows. This is not necessary for macOS.
  • The "SSDT-UIAC-DESIGNARE-Z390-V7-WIN.aml" assumes that your Broadcom Bluetooth cable is connected to port HS12. You can check by running IORegistryExplorer and scrolling the tree on left side to XHC. Then expand both HS11 and HS12 and look for BroadcomBluetooth...
    • If you find this on HS11 instead of HS12, please let me know. I will need to give you a different SSDT.
  • This solution also assumes that your Broadcom WiFi/BT PCIe Card is installed in the bottom short PCIe x1 slot.
  • When you run Windows, Device Manager will show the Broadcom WiFi and BT devices with a ? question mark. This is okay. If you check the device properties, you'll see that Device ID and Vendor ID are -1 or NULL. So the devices are in fact disabled.

I had a question after looking at the SSDT.

Since Windows doesn't have a port limit, would there be any harm in enabling the ports we disabled in the OP for a windows specific SSDT? As in HS01, HS08, and HS13? USB 2.0 would then work for the front panel USB-C port, and on both the thunderbolt ports.

Also, the PCI ids get spoofed so that Windows won't load the BCM card, but will any issues come up by not disabling the USB port it's connected to (HS11 or HS12)? While I am not currently dual booting yet, my USB splitter puts everything on HS11 (I have a 4 way splitter coming to test this, as well as a USB C to HDMI adapter to test my TV video).

I used Hackintool to dump the SSDT after loading it and changed HS12 to HS11 accordingly, but since Windows has no port limit I don't know if there was a need to disable one and not just enable all valid ports.

I had a question after looking at the SSDT.

Since Windows doesn't have a port limit, would there be any harm in enabling the ports we disabled in the OP for a windows specific SSDT? As in HS01, HS08, and HS13? USB 2.0 would then work for the front panel USB-C port, and on both the thunderbolt ports.

Also, the PCI ids get spoofed so that Windows won't load the BCM card, but will any issues come up by not disabling the USB port it's connected to (HS11 or HS12)? While I am not currently dual booting yet, my USB splitter puts everything on HS11 (I have a 4 way splitter coming to test this, as well as a USB C to HDMI adapter to test my TV video).

I used Hackintool to dump the SSDT after loading it and changed HS12 to HS11 accordingly, but since Windows has no port limit I don't know if there was a need to disable one and not just enable all valid ports.
Actually it's even worse than that, which is why I changed it to "Under Construction". Namely:
  • USB SSDT only works in combination with USBInjectAll.kext. This kext is for macOS only, so the revised USB SSDT has no effect in Windows. All USB ports are activated.
  • Despite the use of an SSDT to disable PCI0.RP04 (for Broadcom WiFi card), HWINFO64 in Windows still shows this device being available. The Broadcom card does not get disabled. This suggests that SSDTs in CLOVER/ACPI/patched are only applied when we boot macOS.
  • The Clover help pages over at InsanelyMac are not particularly helpful. We may need to use the CLOVER/OEM/Motherboard_Name/ACPI/patched folder.
But most importantly:
  • Intel CNVi AC-9560 Wireless and Bluetooth are both working properly for me in Windows 10 even without making any changes. From the Clover Boot Menu, I simply select Boot Microsoft EFI Boot from EFI and that's all.
  • Broadcom devices are shown in Device Manager with an exclamation point "!" to indicate a problem, which is fine because no drivers for those devices are installed.
Bottom line for me:
  • There is no need to make any change.
  • Intel AC-9560 works properly in Windows as long as Broadcom drivers are not installed.
  • For macOS, we already have the NO-CNVW SSDT to disable Intel AC-9560.
If you are running both macOS and Windows on this system and facing WiFi/BT problems in Windows, please let me know. Try to describe the problem and capture any relevant screenshots that indicate active Broadcom devices or drivers.

Last edited:
@CaseySJ, just wanted to thank you for making this guide.
This was the easiest hackintosh build I've experienced in the past decade, and I couldn't have done it without all your hard work.
I'll definitely be building another one of these in the near future.

Thanks again for all you do!
Thank you and glad to hear it!

Smashing build there. I've used lots of the tips from your guide for a installation with a Designare Z390, 8086K, Radeon RX570 and its all working nicely except for the USB 'map' (which admittedly I don't fully understand - I've begun reading up on creating my own SSDT but seems overwhelming for my level of knowledge!). For example my Broadcom Bluetooth which is connected to the USB header on the MoBo isn't working because the USB port is not showing in IORegistry. I've tried both methods described in the guide and no difference at all... there must be something fundamental I've missed? Its like the ACPI patches aren't being implemented but I'm sure, from studying other config files, that my config is correct. Sorry I hope that's not too many photos I've attached but hopefully someone can spot some sort of conflict which is causing the problem. Thanks!

Attachments

• Screenshot 2019-06-15 at 22.14.00.png
    Screenshot 2019-06-15 at 22.14.00.png
    67.5 KB · Views: 113
  • Screenshot 2019-06-15 at 22.53.04.png
    Screenshot 2019-06-15 at 22.53.04.png
    360.6 KB · Views: 110
  • Screenshot 2019-06-15 at 22.53.14.png
    Screenshot 2019-06-15 at 22.53.14.png
    360.8 KB · Views: 117
  • Screenshot 2019-06-15 at 22.53.27.png
    Screenshot 2019-06-15 at 22.53.27.png