Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Please carefully check the guide while building the system:
Thank you. I missed that. So, yes, it works, I see my TB3 dock. It seems it works fine (external SSDs). I even see external Vega 64 I have for my MacBook Pro, but that does not work on my display as output.
I have just problem with USB 3.1 device on my red ports on back. They do work for usb 2.0/3.0 but USB 3.1 external SSD does not appear when I connect it there. It does work on my blue USB 3.0 ports just fine.

thank you. I missed that. So yes it works, I see my TB3 dock, it seems it works fine (external SSDs) I even see external vega64 I have for my MacBook Pro, but that does not work on my display as output.
Some questions:
  • Which motherboard and CPU are you using?
  • Which version of macOS are you running? 10.14.5?
  • Which eGPU with Vega64 are you using?
I have just problem with USB 3.1 device on my red ports on back, they do work for usb 2.0/3.0 but USB 3.1 external SSD does not appear when I connect it there. It does work on my blue USB 3.0 ports just fine.
Interesting. Are you using a USB 3.1 Gen 2 (10 Gbps) device? If so, what is the make/model of the device?

It would be helpful to:
  • Connect your eGPU to a Thunderbolt port
  • Connect your USB 3.1 Gen 2 device to a red USB port
  • Run IORegistryExplorer and select File —> Save As...to save the IOReg data to a file.
    • Upload this file
  • Now move the USB 3.1 Gen 2 device to a blue USB 3 port
  • Run IORegistryExplorer and select File —> Save As...to save the IOReg data to a file.
    • Upload this file

Some questions:
  • Which motherboard and CPU are you using?
  • Which version of macOS are you running? 10.14.5?
  • Which eGPU with Vega64 are you using?

Interesting. Are you using a USB 3.1 Gen 2 (10 Gbps) device? If so, what is the make/model of the device?

It would be helpful to:
  • Connect your eGPU to a Thunderbolt port
  • Connect your USB 3.1 Gen 2 device to a red USB port
    • Upload this file
  • Now move the USB 3.1 Gen 2 device to a blue USB 3 port
    • Upload this file
I have i9-9900K on z390 Designare
Razer Core X Aluminum External GPU Enclosure (eGPU): Compatible w/Windows & Mac Thunderbolt 3 Laptops - NVIDIA/AMD PCIe Support - 650W PSU

RADEON 64 GB card (stock cooler)
the USB 3.1 device is some generic M.2 enclosure from eBay, it did work OK on my z390 mATX motherboard (it was showing as 10Gbps device and did work fast.
OSX 10.14.5
Also if the USB-3.1 device is in the BLUE it works but as HS device not SS

- I had invalid path to SSDT in my config.plest. So the USB 3.1 device nap works fine. I'm going to work on eGPU now ;-) Thanks for all inputs. Your build is great! I hope I bring mine to such a state.

I can see my Vega 64 eGPU as slot3 but it shows "driver NO"

Last edited:
WWDC in 10 minutes. Enjoy the show!!

Only I have a problem of self-waking up system in 30 second after sleep?

Attachments

• Снимок экрана 2019-06-03 в 19.50.19.jpg
    Снимок экрана 2019-06-03 в 19.50.19.jpg
    676.2 KB · Views: 62
  • Снимок экрана 2019-06-03 в 19.56.14.jpg
    Снимок экрана 2019-06-03 в 19.56.14.jpg
    271.2 KB · Views: 77
The new Mac Pro! WOW! Drool!

32-inch 6K monitor!!

So glad they haven’t mentioned the price yet. :)

Hello Catalina!

And yes, prices are insane. The new Pro Display XDR is $5000 and the stand is another $1000. My “drool” is turning to “vomit”... :)

At least the next "cheese grater edition 2" has a Xeon CPU instead of a 56 core A Series chip !
One win for the community.

Screen Shot 2019-06-03 at 4.06.12 PM.png Screen Shot 2019-06-03 at 4.06.19 PM.png

Really like the new design — it pays homage to the original cheese grater that started it all. But I think it’s a little behind in the technology stack with PCIe 3.0.

Some additional thoughts:
  • The new Mac Pro shows that Apple prioritized function over form. If you dislike the design, then that is actually the point. The design is secondary. Function comes first. As for me, the intricately designed intake holes, the handles, the feet, and the ability to pull out the entire cover to expose all sides of the unit for easy service are just lovely.
  • No crazy proprietary interconnect for physically separated modules. Instead, the new Mac Pro has a conventional single-motherboard design into which everything plugs.
    • This is the same type of modularity that we have with Hackintosh builds. We can replace individual components, but all components are enclosed in a single box and share a single power supply.
    • I like it.
  • Three large and quiet intake fans.
  • We don't yet know whether the CPUs are socketed or soldered. I suspect they are socketed and can be upgraded.
  • The system has 8 PCIe 3 slots. I nearly smacked myself on the head to double-check that I was still awake!! PCIe slots are BACK!!
    • 4 PCIe x16 slots
    • 3 PCIe x8 slots
    • 1 PCIe x4 slot
  • 4 Thunderbolt 3 ports:
    • Two on back
    • Two on top
  • But with AMD Pro Vega II (either the single or duo version) there are another 4 Thunderbolt 3 ports.
    • Maximum 8 Thunderbolt 3 ports
  • 2 NVMe M.2 SSD slots
  • Included WiFi 802.11ac (WiFi 5) and Bluetooth 5
    • Are they using a daughter card (mini-PCIe)?
    • Are they using a Broadcom module?
    • Are they using an Intel (CNVi) module?
    • Intel already has WiFi 6 (802.11ax) so not sure why new Mac Pro is still on WiFi 5
With the new Mac Pro, Apple still has no product offering for the market segment that most of us with the Designare fall into.
  • We are looking for performance that meets or beats iMac Pro, but offers full modularity and comes at an affordable price.
  • There is nothing from Apple that still meets this need. The new Mac Pro is overkill and over-expensive for most of us. That doesn't mean we don't want it, but we don't need it.
  • The Designare Z390 segment of the market, in other words, is untouched by today's announcement, and remains completely relevant. There is no Mac Pro for the "advanced" consumer market (in the same sense that the MacBook Pro is used by a whole lot of "advanced" consumers and students).
The decision to invest in purchasing, assembling, and configuring our Designare Z390 Hackintosh has been vindicated -- i.e., we made a good call in building this system because this is the Mac Pro for "advanced" consumers. It is the Mac Pro for the rest of us.

Details on the new AMD Pro Vega II and Pro Vega II Duo (both 7nm):

Update:
That certainly looks like a socketed (not soldered) CPU.
22DFCAE1-7E06-4C84-9EC5-BD65C966C597.jpeg

Update 2:
The front panel is a “network of three-dimensional interlocking hemispheres...” The secondary PCIe pins at Slots 1 and 3 completely eliminate the need for any PCIe power cables and data cables. Every RX 580 and Vega GPU today requires at least one 8-pin PCIe power cable. Even the original Mac Pros used mini-PCIe power cables for graphics cards. But the new Mac Pro has no wires. This thing is looking seriously impressive.
D23AC646-66A1-45FC-BAA7-05077054D09F.jpeg6F6A6B3D-61FD-49B2-97BD-AE67D9113738.jpeg

Last edited:
Back