Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

I can't test this. I don't have other USB-C devices or a real Mac
How did you acquire MacOS without owning a real Mac? Please see the Rules. You must have a legally acquired copy of MacOS.

I will not respond further.

Hey guys, i build a new hackintosh using the same specs as @CaseySJ , the only difference is that i used a MSI Vega 56 Airboost, anyways, everything seems to work fine, even at high loads, except for my UAD Apollo Twin MkII. Can you guide me into this to work? I did a separate install of windows and installed thunderbolt drivers but it doesn't recognize it neither. @xanderevo seems to have the same interface as mine, i used a usb c cable for the interface, is it because is Thunderbolt 1? in that case, what kind of adapter i should buy? or what do i need to modify in order to have this working? the bios version is F5.
Hello @burgush,

It's not necessary to install Thunderbolt drivers through Windows. The built-in Titan Ridge controller is natively supported by macOS with a little help from the Thunderbolt SSDT.

To troubleshoot this issue:
  • Boot your Hackintosh and log in.
  • Disconnect and reconnect the UAD Apollo Twin MkII.
  • Download and run IORegistryExplorer.
  • Select File --> Save As... and upload the resulting IOReg file.
This will allow us to see whether the UAD is being attached to the Thunderbolt driver. You may also need to perform a firmware update and/or install the latest UAD drivers.

Hopefully owners of this and similar UAD audio devices will offer additional input.

Hey @CaseySJ Huge thanks to your comprehensive and detailed instruction. This guide has become like a bible for Z390 Designare users.

Unfortunately, I’ve been experiencing very frequent freezing and crashing since 10.14.4. After updating to 10.14.5, it has become even more frequent. I thought the update would fix the issue related to Vega GPU but it didn’t. I’m using i9-9900k with Vega Frontier Edition.

Screen freezes under heavy graphics load but sound still plays. Sometimes it goes black screen and fan spins at full speed. It was mostly black screen in 10.14.4 but it’s freezing most of times in 10.14.5.

I’m reinstalling with a numerous combinations(iGPU disabled, enabled, SMBIOS options, boot arguments, etc) of options you suggested in the guide but the problem is still ongoing. I’m testing on a fresh installed vanilla state.

Any ideas? Please let me know if you need any information to identify the problem. Thank you again.
Hello @gonukang,

Sorry to hear about the frequent crashes. You've already undertaken some good steps. If reinstalling the O/S from scratch is not solving this problem, then the root cause may be hardware related.

Have you already tried:
  • Running memtest to check your memory modules?
  • Removing the Vega and using only the IGPU?
  • Removing all USB, SATA, and Thunderbolt devices except:
    • Mouse, Keyboard
    • Mojave NVME SSD
  • Are you using a new power supply? What is the make and model?
  • Have you checked that all PCIe cards, power cables, data cables, etc. are properly connected?

How did you acquire MacOS without owning a real Mac? Please see the Rules. You must have a legally acquired copy of MacOS.

I will not respond further.
I have a MacBook which is currently my brother using, that’s why I can’t test it

Good question. The Designare, unfortunately, has but a single USB 2 header. We can very effectively negate this disadvantage by using the following 9-pin USB splitter.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07FKJ1CW9/?tag=tonymacx86com-20
This model is particularly effective because if you look at the highlighted connector, you'll see that it uses 8 pins, four on each row. Each row defines one USB port (+5V, GND, DATA+, DATA-). One row corresponds to USB port HS11, and the other to HS12.

And you can see that there are 2 splitters in the picture (blue printed circuit boards or PCBs). Each splitter accommodates 2 USB connections for a total of 4.

Your internal connections (Bluetooth data and CPU cooler, for example) would be connected to the same blue PCB. And your external USB ports located on the front of your PC case would be connected to the other blue PCB.

Each PCB provides a 2-port USB hub so even though there are 4 USB connections, they will still count as only two (HS11 and HS12).

Let's say we connect the internal devices (Bluetooth and CPU cooler) to HS11. We can set its type to 255 (Internal).

And let's say we connect the external USB ports (on PC case) to HS12. We will set its type to 0.

So using this particular splitter provides the level of control we need.

View attachment 408877

Wonderful! Great explanation and advice
Purchased a similar device from ali, can't wait to get it up and running.

BTW, currently using the R6 SSDT and the case's 2 front USB 3.0 ports, generally, appear to work fine. But my iPad Air doesn't feel like charging when connected. Haven't actually gone through the R6's SSDT/aml yet, but would changing some of the power output specs for those ports help?

Hello @gonukang,

Sorry to hear about the frequent crashes. You've already undertaken some good steps. If reinstalling the O/S from scratch is not solving this problem, then the root cause may be hardware related.

Have you already tried:
  • Running memtest to check your memory modules?
  • Removing the Vega and using only the IGPU?
  • Removing all USB, SATA, and Thunderbolt devices except:
    • Mouse, Keyboard
    • Mojave NVME SSD
  • Are you using a new power supply? What is the make and model?
  • Have you checked that all PCIe cards, power cables, data cables, etc. are properly connected?

Thank you for your suggestion. I'll get back to you after I try all the steps. Much appreciated.

Wonderful! Great explanation and advice
Purchased a similar device from ali, can't wait to get it up and running.

BTW, currently using the R6 SSDT and the case's 2 front USB 3.0 ports, generally, appear to work fine. But my iPad Air doesn't feel like charging when connected. Haven't actually gone through the R6's SSDT/aml yet, but would changing some of the power output specs for those ports help?
Two suggestions worth trying one by one to see which, if any, solves the problem:
  • Enable "High Current" as shown.
    Screen Shot 2019-05-30 at 8.27.05 AM.png
  • Copy the attached SSDT-EC.aml to CLOVER/ACPI/patched.

Attachments

• SSDT-EC.aml
    63 bytes · Views: 74
Hey guys, i build a new hackintosh using the same specs as @CaseySJ , the only difference is that i used a MSI Vega 56 Airboost, anyways, everything seems to work fine, even at high loads, except for my UAD Apollo Twin MkII. Can you guide me into this to work? I did a separate install of windows and installed thunderbolt drivers but it doesn't recognize it neither. @xanderevo seems to have the same interface as mine, i used a usb c cable for the interface, is it because is Thunderbolt 1? in that case, what kind of adapter i should buy? or what do i need to modify in order to have this working? the bios version is F5.

A USB-C cable is NOT the same as a TB3 cable... You need proper TB cables for the Apollo

Last edited by a moderator:
Dear all, I switched to the Z390 as I was having issues with TB3 AIC + IGP, and I need QSV to work.

I have tried many described methods to activating the 9900K HD630 in headless mode, besides the Vega64.

Closest I got is it showing up in many places, and a flat green line in Intel Power Gadget, that doesn't activate while testing BruceX.

Besides that, one of the LAN ports isn't showing, I believe only the I211 does, according to DPCIManager.

I tested changing the Intel WiFI chip for the BCM94352Z (WiFi/BT) which I have used in multiple builds, tried two chips, but neither get recognised in Windows as well. Does the Designare have a WiFi whitelist? I'll have to test and see whether th Intel chip even works in Windows. I'm aware that with this guide the M.2 WiFi slot gets disabled, hence my Windows testing.

The BIOS IGP is set to Enabled, 64/256MB.

I would really appreciate help with the situation, and hope to learn something about my incorrect setup :) Let me know if I need to supply other information. Thanks!

Attachments

• CLOVER 30-5.zip
    4 MB · Views: 64
  • IOReg 30-5.zip
    831.3 KB · Views: 67
Back