Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Hi CaseySJ,

Remember reading up on this topic's replies and seeing some posts about some nzxt internal USB 2.0 to multi USB header/output card.

ATM, I'm using my sole Z390 Designare's USB 2 header for the Fenvi T919 WiFi/BT card (BT is all I need tbh).

From my previous vanilla hackintosh build, I remember creating my own custom USB SSDT, and that the internal Fenvi T919 required some 255 USB layout, as opposed to the usual USB HS/SS numbers.

Long story short, will the NZXT allow me to use both my R6's 2.0 USB front connectors as well as the Fenvi T919 since, I guess, macOS won't be fed with either a sole USB 2 port nor a sole BT/WiFi 255 port.

Thanks!
Good question. The Designare, unfortunately, has but a single USB 2 header. We can very effectively negate this disadvantage by using the following 9-pin USB splitter.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07FKJ1CW9/?tag=tonymacx86com-20
This model is particularly effective because if you look at the highlighted connector, you'll see that it uses 8 pins, four on each row. Each row defines one USB port (+5V, GND, DATA+, DATA-). One row corresponds to USB port HS11, and the other to HS12.

And you can see that there are 2 splitters in the picture (blue printed circuit boards or PCBs). Each splitter accommodates 2 USB connections for a total of 4.

Your internal connections (Bluetooth data and CPU cooler, for example) would be connected to the same blue PCB. And your external USB ports located on the front of your PC case would be connected to the other blue PCB.

Each PCB provides a 2-port USB hub so even though there are 4 USB connections, they will still count as only two (HS11 and HS12).

Let's say we connect the internal devices (Bluetooth and CPU cooler) to HS11. We can set its type to 255 (Internal).

And let's say we connect the external USB ports (on PC case) to HS12. We will set its type to 0.

So using this particular splitter provides the level of control we need.

Screen Shot 2019-05-29 at 12.24.48 PM.png

Because a real Mac has very very very few USB ports, it means Apple can enable both HSxx and SSxx virtual ports on each and every USB port.

But our Hackintosh has many many many USB ports. So if we enabled both HSxx and SSxx virtual ports on every single physical port, we would quickly reach 24 or 25 ports. But the limit is 15.

So on a Hackintosh we make a careful deliberate intentional decision to deactivate some virtual ports. Namely:
  • We decided to deactivate low-speed USB 2 virtual ports from every single high-speed USB-C port.
  • Because the standard USB-C cable that comes with iPad Pro is only a USB 2 cable, it will therefore not connect to our Hackintosh.
  • But if we switch to a Thunderbolt 3 (or even USB 3.1 Type 2 USB-C cable) we can connect the iPad to the USB 3 super-speed virtual port.
Hi,

I tried it with a USB-C to USB-A cable on HS10 with no luck.
Any idea why ?

Last edited:
Hi,

I tried it with a USB-C to USB-A cable on HS10 with no luck.
Any idea why ?
Did you connect an iPad Pro with Apple's own USB-C to USB-A cable that comes in the box?

Correction: 2018 iPad Pro ships with USB-C to USB-C charging cable (USB 2 protocol for data).

Last edited:
Did you connect an iPad Pro with Apple's own USB-C to USB-A cable that comes in the box?
No, I just realized that it is not a Thunderbolt cable, just a USB-C to USB-A cable.
I'm not sure, if Thunderbolt devices connect to USB 3.1 type C cables

Is there any news, why the new iPad Pro 11 will not connect with the Thunderbolt 3 port?
Maybe because the original Apple cable is passive ?

No, I just realized that it is not a thunderbolt cable, just a USB-C to USB-A cable.
I'm not sure, if Thunderbolt devices connect to USB 3.1 type C cables

are there any news, why the new iPad Pro 11 will not connect with the Thunderbolt 3 port?
Maybe because the original Apple cable is passive ?
I made an error in my previous reply. The 2018 iPad Pro ships with a USB-C to USB-C charging cable (not a USB-C to USB-A cable).

The iPad Pro 11 will connect to the Thunderbolt 3 port in one of three ways:
  • If we enable HS08 and HS13 in the USB SSDT and use the cable that comes in the box. HS08 and HS13 provide USB 2 support on the two Thunderbolt 3 ports. Both of these ports are currently disabled in order to avoid exceeding the 15-port maximum limit.
  • If we use a USB-C-to-USB-C cable that supports USB 3.1. Not all USB-C-to-USB-C cables support USB 3.x so we need to read the product description carefully before buying. No changes to USB SSDT are needed.
  • If we use a Thunderbolt 3 data cable. This also uses USB-C connectors on both ends and supports USB 3.x internally. No changes to USB SSDT are needed.

I made an error in my previous reply. The 2018 iPad Pro ships with a USB-C to USB-C charging cable (not a USB-C to USB-A cable).

The iPad Pro 11 will connect to the Thunderbolt 3 port in one of three ways:
  • If we enable HS08 and HS13 in the USB SSDT and use the cable that comes in the box. HS08 and HS13 provide USB 2 support on the two Thunderbolt 3 ports. Both of these ports are currently disabled in order to avoid exceeding the 15-port maximum limit.
  • If we use a USB-C-to-USB-C cable that supports USB 3.1. Not all USB-C-to-USB-C cables support USB 3.x so we need to read the product description carefully before buying. No changes to USB SSDT are needed.
  • If we use a Thunderbolt 3 data cable. This also uses USB-C connectors on both ends and supports USB 3.x internally. No changes to USB SSDT are needed.
So what is the USB-C to USB-C cable shipped with iPad Pro 11? A Thunderbolt data cable or a USB-C-to-USB-C cable that supports USB 3.1 ?

Update:
What the hell is a USB-C Charge cable ?

But there is still the question, why my USB-C to USB-A cable on HS10 doesn't work ?

Last edited:
So what is the USB-C to USB-C cable shipped with iPad Pro 11? A Thunderbolt data cable or a USB-C-to-USB-C cable that supports USB 3.1 ?

Update:
What the hell is a USB-C Charge cable ?
View attachment 408880
See post 4531 above. You can also use Google.

But there is still the question, why my USB-C to USB-A cable on HS10 doesn't work ?
Does the cable work with other USB-C devices connected to HS10?
Does the cable work on your real Mac?

Definitely interested in upgrading to a Radeon VII at some point but waiting for a little more proof that it is worth it and stable. Not sure if anyone has had any success with Mojave and one of those cards. Did see the WEG update referenced VII.
I did. Card is detected properly in 10.14.5, no glitches, hw acceleration with IGPU turned off works also with no problems. But it seems that it is not used at it's 100%, i think drivers in macOS a still raw for it. Also there is no detailed hardware info, no clocks and temps are shown.
So if anybody has it also and know how to improve it's support, share some thoughts.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2019-05-28 at 17.17.24.jpg
    Screenshot 2019-05-28 at 17.17.24.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 122
  • Screenshot 2019-05-28 at 17.18.23.jpg
    Screenshot 2019-05-28 at 17.18.23.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 157
  • Screenshot 2019-05-28 at 17.17.24.jpg
    Screenshot 2019-05-28 at 17.17.24.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 141
  • Снимок экрана 2019-05-30 в 2.39.13.jpg
    Снимок экрана 2019-05-30 в 2.39.13.jpg
    151.9 KB · Views: 146
  • Снимок экрана 2019-05-30 в 2.49.22.jpg
    Снимок экрана 2019-05-30 в 2.49.22.jpg
    623.9 KB · Views: 151
I did. Card is detected properly in 10.14.5, no glitches, hw acceleration with IGPU turned off works also with no problems. But it seems that it is not used at it's 100%, i think drivers in macOS a still raw for it. Also there is no detailed hardware info, no clocks and temps are shown.
So if anybody has it also and know how to improve it's support, share some thoughts.

Right on! Thanks for sharing the info-- glad to see it's overall playing nicely with 10.14.5 for you on your system. I'm already tempted, even if it is, as you say, not utilizing 100% of the card yet. And ditto regarding hearing from anyone else with experience with any Radeon VII gpus.

Thanks slamjack

Does anyone know if a BT/WIFI exists that fits into the existing slot to replace Intel CNVi card? The only thing I really care about is the BT functionality that would support an Apple Magic Mouse which I use with Logic Pro X. Wifi isn't important as I'm connected to G-LAN.

Back