Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Hey guys, looking for quick tips on how to monitor temperatures inside the case. I have just installed brand new Corsair H115i PRO and was wondering if there is any way to control it directly and without VM with Windows involvement? It is controlled fine through VM and it even does not need to be up, but after the host reboot the cooler looses all the profile settings and the VM has to be started again.

@CaseySJ I'm back for more.

My goal is to get my EX3 card named appropriately using your methods. Darwin Dumper has been awesome. So far I've got the USB port name correctly, the UAD already shows up, and I'm left with "pci8086,1577."

Im assuming this connected but I also have a "rogue" pci device in my ioreg named "pci8086,3ec2" and it shows up in the Darwin dump everywhere as 0:0.0. No idea if that's my card or something else.

No problem if you don't feeling like looking through it but I'll attach some files in case.

EDIT: Im realizing, if you're invested in this at all, that the address "...1577" is for NHI0 which goes to APPLETHUNDERBOLT. So what I really need to learn is how to find a PCIroot address.
Please try 74:0.0 (decimal 116 = 0x74).

Screen Shot 2019-04-05 at 7.58.39 PM.png

I did my first build and it’s working great but the model number is iMac1,1 and everything is working. But everyone is telling me to reinstall to get the model number 18,3? Do you need to reinstall?

Hey Casey,

I couldn't wait and decided to install 10.14.3 using your guide. The goal was to get it up and running smoothly and then wait for 10.14.5 (and maybe also upgrade to 10.14.4). I won't install any apps and wait just incase we have to change our SMBIOS.

Everything went very well. Your guide is super easy to follow. I'm at the "Finishing Up" portion in the guide, but I currently don't have any bluetooth support. Bluetooth doesn't show up at all :(.

I'm using that Fenvi card from Ali Express (Here). Wifi worked out of the box, but no bluetooth (don't even have an option in system preferences).

My only thought... I'm using an NZXT Internal USB hub instead of your recommended USB 2.0 header splitter because I wanted a powered option. The NZXT hub uses a Molex connector for power.

My cooler (H115i Platinum) shows up in the OSX USB hardware info, and the front USB 2.0 ports on my case (Fractal R6 with that custom supplied SSDT) works great, so I don't think it's the hub.

I'll try to connect just the fenvi to the header, but if that doesn't work would you have any ideas and/or troubleshooting steps? I don't want to sign into iCloud/imessage without working bluetooth :(.

Thanks!

ABSOLUTELY SCRATCH THAT. Decided to unplug the H115i Platinum cooler USB cable from the NZXT Hub and replaced it with the Fenvi Bluetooth USB header in the hub. I now have working Bluetooth :headbang:. Just tried connecting my Magic Mouse to it and it works great.

That NZXT Hub is pretty awesome. Only issue I suppose is I can't make use of all 3 of the header ports on the hub. Perhaps we have a limit of 2 only?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-04-05 at 11.15.10 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-04-05 at 11.15.10 PM.png
    22.8 KB · Views: 70
  • Screen Shot 2019-04-05 at 11.37.28 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-04-05 at 11.37.28 PM.png
    23.8 KB · Views: 77
Last edited:
That's weird ... 14,2 should work. Can you tell us at what stage you are getting this error? I'm also wondering if you can tell me the steps on how you have created bootable USB. The 14,2 should be chosen and saved to config.plist located on the bootable USB

@kageman ,

I have just double checked my plist on the USB and SMBIOS there is completely empty. Sorry for the confusion. Please let me know how the bootable USB was created. I believe there still should not be any reason 14,2 will not work.

That NZXT Hub is pretty awesome. Only issue I suppose is I can't make use of all 3 of the header ports on the hub. Perhaps we have a limit of 2 only?

Completely agree about the hub, I also have and it is just great! Strange that BT and 115i did not work for you together. For me both BT and 115i works fine. I even found that 115i came with short cable, I have replaced it with old Blackberry USB cable that goes from the cooler to this hub and it works fantastic!

Completely agree about the hub, I also have and it is just great! Strange that BT and 115i did not work for you together. For me both BT and 115i works fine. I even found that 115i came with short cable, I have replaced it with old Blackberry USB cable that goes from the cooler to this hub and it works fantastic!

That's odd... I wonder why it doesn't work for me. Do you also have a case with front USB 2.0 ports (x2)? That could be the culprit. My Fractal R6 Case has 2 of those at the front, plus the BT header and 115i usb connection... maybe I'm overloading the single USB header on the mobo lol.

Hey Casey,

I couldn't wait and decided to install 10.14.3 using your guide. The goal was to get it up and running smoothly and then wait for 10.14.5 (and maybe also upgrade to 10.14.4). I won't install any apps and wait just incase we have to change our SMBIOS.

Everything went very well. Your guide is super easy to follow. I'm at the "Finishing Up" portion in the guide, but I currently don't have any bluetooth support. Bluetooth doesn't show up at all :(.

I'm using that Fenvi card from Ali Express (Here). Wifi worked out of the box, but no bluetooth (don't even have an option in system preferences).

My only thought... I'm using an NZXT Internal USB hub instead of your recommended USB 2.0 header splitter because I wanted a powered option. The NZXT hub uses a Molex connector for power.

My cooler (H115i Platinum) shows up in the OSX USB hardware info, and the front USB 2.0 ports on my case (Fractal R6 with that custom supplied SSDT) works great, so I don't think it's the hub.

I'll try to connect just the fenvi to the header, but if that doesn't work would you have any ideas and/or troubleshooting steps? I don't want to sign into iCloud/imessage without working bluetooth :(.

Thanks!

ABSOLUTELY SCRATCH THAT. Decided to unplug the H115i Platinum cooler USB cable from the NZXT Hub and replaced it with the Fenvi Bluetooth USB header in the hub. I now have working Bluetooth :headbang:. Just tried connecting my Magic Mouse to it and it works great.

Is the wifi working on your Fenvi? I've got the Fenvi FV-T919 plugged into a USB splitter with my X62 and have Bluetooth but no wifi.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is the wifi working on your Fenvi? I've got the Fenvi FV-T919 plugged into a USB splitter with my X62 and have Bluetooth but no wifi.

Wifi was working for me right out of the gate. When I was setting up the mac for the first time during the Mojave installation, I was able to connect to my network right away. Do you have the same card as me, and did you install it in the bottom most X1 slot?

That's odd... I wonder why it doesn't work for me. Do you also have a case with front USB 2.0 ports (x2)? That could be the culprit. My Fractal R6 Case has 2 of those at the front, plus the BT header and 115i usb connection... maybe I'm overloading the single USB header on the mobo lol.

Yep, the same thing here, except that I'm not using FENVI, but rather the adapter below (I think it is mentioned in the guide), 2 front USB ports and 115i using standard micro USB cable from Blackberry. I initially bought a splitter, which gave me all sorts of trouble using keyboard when transferring files to/from USB flash, but the hub worked right out of the box.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B076KBBFV4/?tag=tonymacx86com-20

Back