Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

I think I found a way for the time being. I changed SMBIOS to iMAC19, and then added -no_compat_check to boot-Arguments.

The no-go symbol no longer appears. The system starts up normally and recognizes. However, the cpu model still shows unknown.

Thank you for your answer! And about where to connect the Fenvi, any ideas?
PCIe x1 slot is best if that will work. Test it out when you get to that point in the process.

Absolutely,

@kageman , and @PicLock ,

I'm not sure if you are are starting from scratch with your build or you are moving your previous install to the new hardware. My case was the latter - I moved my install from failed MB. Also I'm running internal graphics, but technically from the installation stand point it does not matter.

What I did was:

1. I haver installed and configured clover on the USB (just that, nothing else) as High Sierra clover done by Unibeast will not work. You will be missing missing OsxAptioFix2Drv-free2000.efi at least and you have to have it there to start your system. Also I wanted to have something like generic boot loader just in case. So I was using this guide for clover-

@CaseySJ , please let me know if I can share a link to other website.

or you can use install clover and configure it based on the preinstallation steps as well. In fact I would recommend to compare your USB Clover config to Casey's one before the first boot.

2. Boot into Clover and here you have you High Sierra right after first boot
3. Follow the post installations steps to the t, EXCEPT for one point - Macmini8,1 obviously will not work on High Sierra as it simply did not exist back then, so I was on 14,2 and I left it that way.

I did not have any major issue, those that I had mostly due to something was overlooked. It is very important to complete and follow Post Installation steps TO THE T.

If I were installing High Sierra from scratch I would have gone pretty much the same route - would not be using Unibeast in this specific case, but rather run manually High Sierra's createinstallmedia app and would install Clover on the USB in the end.

Let me know if that makes sense.

Hi @CaseySJ and @avtor,

Thank you very much for your comments about installing high sierra.

I'm now trying to install High Sierra on Designare Z390 + i9-9900K.
Unfortunately, I got an error "macOs could not be installed on your computer clover" in the installing Phase 2.

I tried following settings:
SIMBIOS: iMac14,2; iMac18,3
Device ID: 0x0; 0x5912; 0x3E9B
Platform ID: 0x0; 0x59120000; 0x3E9B0007

The other settings are same with the first page of this thread.
But these settings did not work for my case.
Could you give me an advise to solve this problem?

Thanks so much for your post. I have an almost complete build now. I didn't have any crashes issues as the guide was so comprehensive. The only hiccup I ran into was the NO-CNVI SSDT wasn't in the Post Install Files zip when I downloaded it, but @CaseySJ already addressed that on 27 March 2019.

Now, I’m just waiting on the WiFi adapter card to arrive. I’m running with an i9-9900K and an ASUS RX 570 graphics card. Everything seems to be working fine including my Thunderbolt connection to my OWC ThunderBay 4. I’ll post pics and config screen shots after the WiFi is running.

Last edited:
Updating Clover did the trick. Fully installed. RX 570 working. Will test more in depth over the weekend.

Thanks for all your help Casey!
Glad to hear it.

Those are impressive numbers! Are you overclocked?

Nope! Haven't touched the CPU settings at all yet

Man, I thought you had an 8700 and thought something was crazy wrong with my set up. That 9900k is a beast. I was reading about using that on my z370a and got some mixed comments. Do you guys think it'll give me any grief if not overclocked? Primary use is Pro Tools.

Back