Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Sorry, still can't find a reference to <key>Properties</key>. Would appreciate it if you could look at my config.plist.
Attached is the modified config.plist. If you scrambled the serial numbers in SMBIOS, be sure to restore those numbers. Let us know how it goes...

Attachments

• config-jarvisca.plist
    10.4 KB · Views: 129
Hey Casey, I hate to keep posting about this but I am still having a problem with Bluetooth not working correctly. I have phone calls coming in on my computer, but Handoff and Airdrop still won't work. I have tried a new card (I started with your suggested hardware), but the computer won't even start with it installed. Photo of alternate card attached.
I appreciate all the time and help you have provided myself and everyone else.
Questions about new card:
  • Does it use a Broadcom 94360-series modem?
  • When you say the computer won't start with this card installed, where exactly does it hang?
    • Does it not power up?
    • Does it not get past BIOS screen?
    • Does it start to boot Mojave but gets stuck midway?
    • If so, have you enabled Verbose mode to see where it hangs?
Questions about the old card:
  • Do Bluetooth devices connect to the old card?
  • In System Preferences --> Bluetooth, are you able to turn Bluetooth off and then on again?
  • Have you already tried the following to test AirDrop?

Click "AirDrop" in top left of any Finder window and select Everyone.

Then on another device such as iPhone or iPad, open Notification Center, long-press on the top left group. This will open a new view showing more icons. Touch AirDrop and select Everyone.
    391730 391729
    Now have a look at the Finder window on the Mac. Do you see your iPhone or iPad as a drop target in the Finder's AirDrop window?
  • Regarding Handoff, do you have this enabled on the Mac?
    Screen Shot 2019-03-07 at 7.14.34 AM.png

Last edited:
  • Does it use a Broadcom 94360-series modem? Thats what they are both advertised as.
  • When you say the computer won't start with this card installed, where exactly does it hang?
    • It powers up but doesn't even get to the BIOS screen
  • Do Bluetooth devices connect to the old card? No.
  • In System Preferences --> Bluetooth, are you able to turn Bluetooth off and then on again? No. Button is grey
  • Have you already tried the following to test AirDrop? Yes
    Wifi works perfectly with the old card. I am not using the newer. one as it was just a test,

• Does it use a Broadcom 94360-series modem? Thats what they are both advertised as.
    • It powers up but doesn't even get to the BIOS screen
  • Do Bluetooth devices connect to the old card? No.
  • In System Preferences --> Bluetooth, are you able to turn Bluetooth off and then on again? No. Button is grey
  • Have you already tried the following to test AirDrop? Yes
    Wifi works perfectly with the old card. I am not using the newer. one as it was just a test,
On the old card:
  • Have you connected the USB power cable to the motherboard F_USB header? This thread moves fast so I don't recall whether this was answered before.
  • When you run IO Registry Explorer, do you see Bluetooth listed as a device under XHC?

Recovery is not available from F12 boot screen, but from the Clover Boot Menu.

If you insert the USB flash disk into the Hackintosh, press F12 to boot from the USB stick, then at the Clover boot menu, select the Recovery volume.

Perfect - I'm back in, and I've learned how to do this for future reference. A valuable lesson, I reckon - thank you!

When I rebuilt the kext cache with terminal previously, I simply ran sudo kextcache -i /, not sudo kextcache -i /Volumes/Mojave. Am I correct in assuming that running it on the / directory includes /Volumes/Mojave as well?

So I'm back to the start - which is a good thing, in this case :) I ran kextstat as you suggested, grepping for Lilu and WhateverGreen - both seem to be loaded/running:

Edit: here's my IOReg, if it's of any use (attached). It looks like I don't have AppleIntelFramebuffer as a child node of iGPU.

Attachments

• Alex’s iMac Pro IOReg.ioreg
    6.1 MB · Views: 77
Last edited:
Perfect - I'm back in, and I've learned how to do this for future reference. A valuable lesson, I reckon - thank you!

When I rebuilt the kext cache with terminal previously, I simply ran sudo kextcache -i /, not sudo kextcache -i /Volumes/Mojave. Am I correct in assuming that running it on the / directory includes /Volumes/Mojave as well?

So I'm back to the start - which is a good thing, in this case :) I ran kextstat as you suggested, grepping for Lilu and WhateverGreen - both seem to be loaded/running:

View attachment 391748
When we are logged into the Recovery Volume, things behave a little differently:
  • The Recovery Partition is mounted to the root folder "/".
  • The Mojave Partition is only accessible through /Volumes/Mojave.
  • So the /L/E folder is actually in /V/M/L/E (/Volumes/Mojave/Library/Extensions).
But when we log directly into Mojave:
  • Recovery Partition is not mounted.
  • The Mojave Partition is mounted to the root folder "/".
  • The Mojave Partition is also accessible via /Volumes/Mojave.
  • So the /L/E folder is directly in /L/E (and also in /V/M/L/E).
Ok, so back to the UHD 630 problem and lack of JPEG preview...
  • Because Lilu and WEG are loaded, please have a look at IORegistryExplorer.
  • Scroll the device tree on left side until you get to IGPU.
  • Do you see AppleIntelFramebuffer as a child node under IGPU?
  • You may paste a screenshot.
  • Also run Hackintool (2.0.2 is the latest) and select Framebuffer --> MacOS 10.14 from the top menu bar.
  • Grab a screenshot of the Intel page and the Installed page.
Enabling the IGPU is usually quite easy, so scratching my head on this one! (Also scratching my head on the boot loop you encountered after installing third-party kexts into /L/E where they belong.)

When we are logged into the Recovery Volume, things behave a little differently:
  • The Recovery Partition is mounted to the root folder "/".
  • The Mojave Partition is only accessible through /Volumes/Mojave.
  • So the /L/E folder is actually in /V/M/L/E (/Volumes/Mojave/Library/Extensions).
But when we log directly into Mojave:
  • Recovery Partition is not mounted.
  • The Mojave Partition is mounted to the root folder "/".
  • The Mojave Partition is also accessible via /Volumes/Mojave.
  • So the /L/E folder is directly in /L/E (and also in /V/M/L/E).
Ok, so back to the UHD 630 problem and lack of JPEG preview...
  • Because Lilu and WEG are loaded, please have a look at IORegistryExplorer.
  • Scroll the device tree on left side until you get to IGPU.
  • Do you see AppleIntelFramebuffer as a child node under IGPU?
  • You may paste a screenshot.
  • Also run Hackintool (2.0.2 is the latest) and select Framebuffer --> MacOS 10.14 from the top menu bar.
  • Grab a screenshot of the Intel page and the Installed page.
Enabling the IGPU is usually quite easy, so scratching my head on this one! (Also scratching my head on the boot loop you encountered after installing third-party kexts into /L/E where they belong.)

Awesome, again - thank you!

I edited my previous post with my IOReg output. No AppleIntelFrameBuffer child node. Here's IOReg after searching for IGPU:

And after clicking the X in the search bar:

Hackintool screenshots:

Edit: in case it's relevant:

SMBIOS -> iMac18,3
BIOS -> iGPU -> Enabled
BIOS -> CSM -> Enabled

Also, it's strange that AppleALC and USBInjectAll are showing up as not installed. Maybe this is symptom of having these kexts in CLOVER/kexts/Other, and not in /Library/Extensions.

Edit #2: Scratch that - I don't have AppleALC or USBInjectAll anywhere! I'll add them now - or does the custom USB definition file from your first post cover the USB injection?

Last edited:
Awesome, again - thank you!

I edited my previous post with my IOReg output. No AppleIntelFrameBuffer child node. Here's IOReg after searching for IGPU:

View attachment 391759

And after clicking the X in the search bar:

View attachment 391760

Hackintool screenshots:

View attachment 391764

View attachment 391765

Edit: in case it's relevant:

SMBIOS -> iMac18,3
BIOS -> iGPU -> Enabled
BIOS -> CSM -> Enabled

Also, it's strange that AppleALC and USBInjectAll are showing up as not installed. Maybe this is symptom of having these kexts in CLOVER/kexts/Other, and not in /Library/Extensions.

Edit #2: Scratch that - I don't have AppleALC or USBInjectAll anywhere! I'll add them now - or does the custom USB definition file from your first post cover the USB injection?
In the first IOReg screenshot and the first Hackintool screenshot we see Device ID = 0x3E98. This is unsupported in macOS, hence no acceleration on IGPU. We should spoof this to 0x3E9B or 0x3E92.

In the first IOReg screenshot and the first Hackintool screenshot we see Device ID = 0x3E98. This is unsupported in macOS, hence no acceleration on IGPU. We should spoof this to 0x3E9B or 0x3E92.

Cool - this is my Clover/Devices/Properties device section. I thought it was already configured to spoof 0x3E9B (with the device-id entry):

Is it odd that Hackintool reports IntelGen as ?? on the Intel page, and mentions MacMini8,1 at the bottom of that page?

Because the system does work, but with only half the memory, I would first suspect the RAM and then possibly the motherboard. @NoiseCoalition actually received 2 bad memory DIMMs. He used "memtest" to check each RAM module one at a time. But this might not tell you much about the missing half...

@IdoZ, You can also run Rember which is a graphical front end version of Memtest. Rember can be downloaded here: http://www.kelleycomputing.net/rember/. Make sure you boot into safemode to run it in order to free up as much memory as possible. As @CaseySJ mentioned, Memtest / Rember helped me detect two bad sticks of ram which kept causing my system to lock up.

Back