Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Are Vega fan speeds and temperatures still within normal limits? This SSDT injects its own power curves.
I still have that German Vega solution implemented in your guide . I guess I will try with this and than delete it and retry

Are Vega fan speeds and temperatures still within normal limits? This SSDT injects its own power curves.
Seems to work the same with and without the extra vega fix in your build guide. I ran a longer benchmark in Heaven and than did two short benchmarks (hence drop in GPU temp in second graph). Will continue to see how it works . In both instances fan goes on high during heaven and than throttles down when finished

Attachments

• heaven.png
    heaven.png
    94.9 KB · Views: 75
Today I received my Vega 64 Sapphire Nitro+, and added it to my build. It's all working with the vega 64 and 56 fix now. But the fans are still constantly spinning at around 1100 rpm and benchmarking results from cinebench are quite a bit lower compared to windows. Does anyone know of a fix? VGTab seems not to work with this (non reference) card.

Hi @CaseySJ!
Fantastic guide, thanks for all of this!
I have a problem tho, I am building a similar pc without the dGPU (I'll use the HD630).
I modified the BIOS with your suggestions and I created an USB with Unibeast.
I have the monitor in the HDMI of the mobo and the stick in a 2.0 port.

In all of this I can't get past the first step of the installation (I never reach the Utility Disk section). The installer always hang up (screen goes black). Can you help me please? If you need anything I will post it!

Hi @CaseySJ!
Fantastic guide, thanks for all of this!
I have a problem tho, I am building a similar pc without the dGPU (I'll use the HD630).
I modified the BIOS with your suggestions and I created an USB with Unibeast.
I have the monitor in the HDMI of the mobo and the stick in a 2.0 port.

In all of this I can't get past the first step of the installation (I never reach the Utility Disk section). The installer always hang up (screen goes black). Can you help me please? If you need anything I will post it!
Are you using the Designare Z390 motherboard with either 8th or 9th gen Intel CPU? If the screen goes completely black, it most likely means that your config.plist is activating the iGPU, but framebuffer patches have not been installed.

So if you are in fact using the Designare Z390 board, please compress and upload just the CLOVER folder from EFI partition of your USB install disk.

Hi Casey,
I used your build as a template but I cant seem to get the iGPU running (headless).
Gigabyte Designare MB
i7-7700
64GB RAM
TP-Link BT/Wifi Card

Everything works with the exception of the iGPU which means no iTunes movie decryption (at least not correctly) and I can't export from Final Cut which is one of the apps I use most.
Here is as much relevant info as I can think of including... any ideas on what I am doing wrong?

Attachments

• HaxaMaxaIOReg.ioreg
    12.4 MB · Views: 82
  • Screen Shot 2019-02-12 at 12.23.05 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-02-12 at 12.23.05 PM.png
    125.8 KB · Views: 81
  • Screen Shot 2019-02-12 at 12.18.06 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-02-12 at 12.18.06 PM.png
    175.9 KB · Views: 85
  • Screen Shot 2019-02-12 at 12.17.55 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-02-12 at 12.17.55 PM.png
    160.4 KB · Views: 69
  • Screen Shot 2019-02-12 at 12.17.36 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-02-12 at 12.17.36 PM.png
    154 KB · Views: 66
  • Screen Shot 2019-02-12 at 12.17.47 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-02-12 at 12.17.47 PM.png
    139.6 KB · Views: 66
  • Screen Shot 2019-02-12 at 12.17.29 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-02-12 at 12.17.29 PM.png
    144.1 KB · Views: 67
  • Screen Shot 2019-02-12 at 12.17.22 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-02-12 at 12.17.22 PM.png
    192.7 KB · Views: 70
  • Screen Shot 2019-02-12 at 12.16.09 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-02-12 at 12.16.09 PM.png
    35.8 KB · Views: 71
Today I received my Vega 64 Sapphire Nitro+, and added it to my build. It's all working with the vega 64 and 56 fix now. But the fans are still constantly spinning at around 1100 rpm and benchmarking results from cinebench are quite a bit lower compared to windows. Does anyone know of a fix? VGTab seems not to work with this (non reference) card.
For the Sapphite Nitro+ Vega64 you should install Lilu and WhateverGreen if not already installed. And also try the Vega64 SSDT from Post #1663 instead of VGTab. KGP created this SSDT with the Nitro+ in mind (I modified the ACPI paths to point to Designare's slot 1 and removed an extraneous device). Simply copy the SSDT to your CLOVER/ACPI/patched folder in the EFI partition of the Mojave internal SSD and reboot. This SSDT assumes the GPU is in Slot 1. (Also ensure that your CLOVER/ACPI/patched folder does not contain the RX580 SSDT.)

Hi Casey,
I used your build as a template but I cant seem to get the iGPU running (headless).
Gigabyte Designare MB
i7-7700
64GB RAM
TP-Link BT/Wifi Card

Everything works with the exception of the iGPU which means no iTunes movie decryption (at least not correctly) and I can't export from Final Cut which is one of the apps I use most.
Here is as much relevant info as I can think of including... any ideas on what I am doing wrong?
Thanks for proactively posting all of that supporting evidence! Your iGPU may in fact be enabled, but it won't appear in any of those screenshots. Instead, can you please run IORegistryExplorer, then enter "IGPU" in the search bar at the top of the window. And then click the "x" at the far right side of the same search bar. Yes, we search and then we clear the search box right away. This has the effect of focusing the device tree (on left side of window) on "IGPU" and then expanding the rest of the tree (when "x" is clicked).

Please post a screenshot of the resulting tree. We're specifically looking for "AppleIntelFramebuffer" as a child node under IGPU.

Negative on that. I have the iGPU disabled in the BIOS or I can't get past the initial load after Clover. It will always fail with an icon (hashed circle).
Here is the screenshot.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-02-12 at 1.12.28 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-02-12 at 1.12.28 PM.png
    117.3 KB · Views: 79
Negative on that. I have the iGPU disabled in the BIOS or I can't get past the initial load after Clover. It will always fail with an icon (hashed circle).
Here is the screenshot.
I'm a bit confused:
  • If you disabled IGPU in BIOS, what problem are you trying to solve?
  • Running in headless mode means enabling IGPU, but using a platform ID that disables video output ports, but still uses iGPU as a compute engine.
  • Because you have a Sapphire Vega64, does it help to enable "CSM" in BIOS? In that case try setting IGPU to "Enabled" as well. Hence:
    • BIOS --> CSM --> enabled
    • BIOS --> IGPU --> enabled
  • If you still get a crossed circle on boot, please boot again with "verbose" enabled to look for any helpful error messages.

Back