Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Hey guys, this is a progress update.

I am currently posting from this from my new rig. MultiBeast finally ran all the way through without any lockups, and the rest of the post-install went through without a hitch. My systems loads into macOS without the flash drive now thankfully.

The recent macOS update also went through successfully and everything seems stable.

I couldn't wake my computer up from sleep so I had to power cycle it. My current solution is to disable sleep mode as an option and figure out the problem later.

I downloaded Final Cut and did a test encode of some stock footage I found online. No crashes of freezes on launch or during the encoding process. It seems stable. In fact, I haven't found a piece of software currently that hasn't worked anything other than normally so far.

I'm currently posting this through WiFi, and I just transferred my test video through Bluetooth to my phone so my wireless card works!

My Intel graphics is recognized but it doesn't show any video memory associated with it the way the post-install guide does. Not sure if this is going to be an issue later on but everything seems to work at the moment.

Under PCI in system report, it shows Titan Ridge Thunderbolt 3 and USB C as well as RX 580 Graphics and Sound. As I currently do not own any Thunderbolt devices, I cannot test compatibility yet. In fact, I now realize that many of the things I'm not seeing in my system report compared to the post-install section is likely due to the fact that the original machine has an OWC thunderbolt dock plugged in. Are there any inexpensive devices recommended for testing the ports? $300 seems a bit steep for a device that doesn't offer much new functionality.

I also have a few questions regarding future upgrades. Will the system allow for drop-in upgrades to the processor, RAM, and/or video cards in the future without any trouble, or would I have to reinstall/reconfigure upon upgrade?

You wrote that you made some SSDT updates! Would you be so kind to check the Fractal Design R6 USB C with HS12 for that, too, please! I will test it!

You can find in posting #205 the source code of the SSDT adopted to the Fractal Design R6 case. It also includes a description of the configured USB ports.

It is really trivial to modify it to your needs:
  1. Download the latest version of MaciASL
  2. Open the "dsl" file (source) from posting #205 in MaciASL
  3. Uncomment the USB ports you need by removing the slashes "//". Add slahes to the ports you won't need.
  4. Don't forget the maximum number of 15 USB ports (HS + SS)
  5. "Save as..." the modified file with file format "ACPI Machine Language Binary" (extension is ".aml")
  6. Copy the file to the EFI partition and reboot.

Hello Casey SJ,
You wrote that you made some SSDT updates! Would you be so kind to check the Fractal Design R6 USB C with HS12 for that, too, please! I will test it!
Thank you very much!

Great TEAM here
Thank you for the reminder -- I've updated post #1660. Fortunately no changes are needed because HS01 and HS02 are already skipped by both SSDT-UIAC-DESIGNARE-Z390-FD-DEFINE-R6 and SSDT-UIAC-DESIGNARE-Z390-FD-DEFINE-R6-HS12.

@CaseySJ, a consideration for your build guide, I know this is small relative to the entire thread, but this will help others..... after fussing with the whole iCloud, imessage, FaceTime, and appstore login crap I have some tips for new users...

Tips:
  1. make sure you have a solid smbios and rtvariables setup, without the serials no.s setup properly these won't work.
  2. leave emuvariables64 on in your clover drivers until you have logged into all of these applications sucessfully
  3. if you have issues with signing in try changing the RTvariables "usemacaddr0" to the Mac address of your en0 adapter (take the :'s out of the Mac address). Once you have successfully logged in you can revert to "usemacaddr0" once signed in.
Aids - emuvariables driver, use en0 (not wifi on en1), Mac address in rt is signs fail
Thanks for the input! I'm always looking for ways to improve the guide. This information is currently in the Post-Installation steps with the exception of using the actual en0 MAC address without colons. The reason I omitted that is because EmuVariable always seems to work with just "usemacaddr0". If you experienced the contrary, please let me know.

Hey guys, this is a progress update.

I am currently posting from this from my new rig. MultiBeast finally ran all the way through without any lockups, and the rest of the post-install went through without a hitch. My systems loads into macOS without the flash drive now thankfully.

The recent macOS update also went through successfully and everything seems stable.
Just to get to this point in the installation, did you have to venture off the Designare build guide path? If so, how did your installation differ? Would like to capture key lessons into the Guide.

I couldn't wake my computer up from sleep ,so I had to power cycle it. My current solution is to disable sleep mode as an option and figure out the problem later.
Without "darkwake=0" it may require 2 keypresses to wake from sleep. But if that also failed, then some guidelines are:
  • If using iGPU, the accelerated driver (AppleIntelFramebuffer) must be enabled or monitor will not wake. Not sure if this applies to a headless SMBIOS. You can check this from IORegistryExplorer by scrolling the tree on left side to IGPU and checking whether AppleIntelFramebuffer is attached as a sub-node.
  • USB ports must be configured properly with USB SSDT.
I downloaded Final Cut and did a test encode of some stock footage I found online. No crashes of freezes on launch or during the encoding process. It seems stable. In fact, I haven't found a piece of software currently that hasn't worked anything other than normally so far.
This suggests you're using headless SMBIOS. Ensure that the IGPU is configured properly as stated in bullet 1 above.

I'm currently posting this through WiFi, and I just transferred my test video through Bluetooth to my phone so my wireless card works!

My Intel graphics is recognized but it doesn't show any video memory associated with it the way the post-install guide does. Not sure if this is going to be an issue later on but everything seems to work at the moment.
If it shows video memory to be 7MB then AppleIntelFramebuffer is not attached. Enabling AppleIntelFramebuffer is easy to do by installing Lilu and WhateverGreen, and setting ig-platform-id to 0x3E910003 and Device-ID to 0x3E9B for a headless configuration. See Step 6 of Post 1592.

Under PCI in system report, it shows Titan Ridge Thunderbolt 3 and USB C as well as RX 580 Graphics and Sound. As I currently do not own any Thunderbolt devices, I cannot test compatibility yet. In fact, I now realize that many of the things I'm not seeing in my system report compared to the post-install section is likely due to the fact that the original machine has an OWC thunderbolt dock plugged in. Are there any inexpensive devices recommended for testing the ports? $300 seems a bit steep for a device that doesn't offer much new functionality.
A USB-C flash disk can be tested in those ports. Such a disk won't work without the Thunderbolt SSDT because that SSDT also activates the XHC5 USB host controller.

I also have a few questions regarding future upgrades. Will the system allow for drop-in upgrades to the processor, RAM, and/or video cards in the future without any trouble, or would I have to reinstall/reconfigure upon upgrade?
Yes, CPU, RAM, and GPUs should be plug-and-play compatible as long as the motherboard supports them. Intel is notorious for changing CPU pin layouts every 2 or so years, so it's likely that 10th generation processors will not be compatible.

Last edited:
@CaseySJ Can't find OsxAptioFix2Drv-free2000.efi anymore in the post-install files.zip :eek:

Small typo in the guide: driversUEFI64 folder is called drivers64UEFI

Thanks for all the great work, will try and install my Designare/9700K/Vega64 combo tonight.

@CaseySJ Can't find OsxAptioFix2Drv-free2000.efi anymore in the post-install files.zip :eek:

Small typo in the guide: driversUEFI64 folder is called drivers64UEFI

Thanks for all the great work, will try and install my Designare/9700K/Vega64 combo tonight.
Thank you!! Both issues fixed.

@kenntkim66 It worked! I don't know exactly what you did in my config.plist but I think now is well implemented. You can see the files attached.

As I told you I'm out of home, connecting with teamviewer and with slow internet connection to test it properly, but at least now system recognises Intelacelaration.

meanwhile also jpg preview is working again!

@CaseySJ do you thing is now safe to apply the changes you mentioned this weekend? I mean move kexts from clover to L/E.
Also I'm curious to implement the custom SSDT you posted for Vega 64, but I'm hesitant because you mentioned slot 1, that is where I think where my card is, but according the file I created with DarwinDumper my card is on adress 03:00.0. Even that there are other amd devices also there on that file. So I'm totally confused here about this.

Thank you guys. I don't know how to thank you all this!

Your LSPCI is very strange for me Because all the PCIe Slot means 01:00.0/02:00.0/03:00.0 are occupied by AMD devices. I don't know what happen on your system. I just guess your SSDT files is not proper.

I changed your config.plist file but I cannot be sure it can be helpful for you.
Please test with new config.plist and if not work well

I would like to suggest you to delete all the ssdt in your /ACPI/patched. and Check up PCIe adress again by darwindump or try clean install with CaseySJ's way except iGPU setting.

So sorry I am confused lot too by your LSPCI.
View attachment 386127
View attachment 386129View attachment 386128

Attachments

• Screenshot 2019-02-10 at 13.23.05.png
    Screenshot 2019-02-10 at 13.23.05.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 91
  • Screenshot 2019-02-10 at 13.23.29.png
    Screenshot 2019-02-10 at 13.23.29.png
    297.4 KB · Views: 90
  • Screenshot 2019-02-10 at 13.57.23.png
    Screenshot 2019-02-10 at 13.57.23.png
    429.3 KB · Views: 83
  • DarwinDumper_3.0.4_10.02_13.29.46_iMac18,3_AMI_X64_4769_Unknown_18D109_mariocunha.zip
    21.4 KB · Views: 55
** Update 2 **

In an effort to keep integrating new useful information into the Build Guide, the following revisions were made today. Thanks again to the EFI provided by @kenntkim66!

Last edited:
Back