Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Here after installation begins it suddenly stops I get either the kernel panic or this:
The most common causes are:
1. USB port limit patch might not be working, which means we need to move USB disk to HS09 or HS10 ports as shown in PDF in Post 1.

2. “change SAT0 to SATA” patch in ACPI section must be added.

Thanks for this guide. :) I used it for setting up my I9-9900K, RX580 and the Z390 Ultra.
I used your SSDT for the RX580, and created my own for the USB ports, as the layout is different between our boards.

I also modified your thunderbolt SSDT for the Alpine Ridge card I have is pcie4.
According to the Gigabyte website, the GC-Alpine Ridge card is not supported, but it does seem to work just fine.
hot-Plugging seems to be working and my MOTU 828es shows up and works just fine in my preliminary testing.
I didnt even have to much about with windows to "activate" any of the thunderbolt devices. It just kinda worked. I was pretty surprised actually.

I am curious how you got imessage etc.. working without emuVariableUefi-64?
I couldn't get it working with your config, so I did the 'sudo nvram -p' test and saw that not much was in the nvram, and variables I created did not persist across reboots. Once I added emuVariableUefi imessage started working.

It's certainly not the end of the world if I use emuVariableUefi64, but i thought I'd ask. :)

Nice to see that you were able to get GC-Alpine Ridge working -- with hot plug!!

If you follow the METHOD-1 post-install procedure carefully and strictly, then iMessage, FaceTime and everything else should work right away...and without EmuVariable.

I performed the nvram test over a month ago using "sudo nvram -p" and found that it didn't seem to work with AptioMemoryFix-64. However, after switching to OsxAptioFix2Drv-free2000 I haven't retested. I find that everything works fine without EmuVariable on this motherboard.

Have you tried OsxAptioFix2Drv-free2000 in combination with "slide=0" but without EmuVariable?

Thanks for this guide. :) I used it for setting up my I9-9900K, RX580 and the Z390 Ultra.
I used your SSDT for the RX580, and created my own for the USB ports, as the layout is different between our boards.

I also modified your thunderbolt SSDT for the Alpine Ridge card I have is pcie4.
According to the Gigabyte website, the GC-Alpine Ridge card is not supported, but it does seem to work just fine.
hot-Plugging seems to be working and my MOTU 828es shows up and works just fine in my preliminary testing.
I didnt even have to much about with windows to "activate" any of the thunderbolt devices. It just kinda worked. I was pretty surprised actually.

I am curious how you got imessage etc.. working without emuVariableUefi-64?
I couldn't get it working with your config, so I did the 'sudo nvram -p' test and saw that not much was in the nvram, and variables I created did not persist across reboots. Once I added emuVariableUefi imessage started working.

It's certainly not the end of the world if I use emuVariableUefi64, but i thought I'd ask. :)

With my first two installs, iMessage worked right away. I've done a few others since then.. one being yesterday. iMessage did not work right away in my latest install. I got the dreaded activation error when trying to sign into iMessage. Implementing emuVariableUefi-64 fixed it for me and I was able to sign in, send, and receive messages after reboot. For what it's worth.. just to test things, I removed emuVariableUefi-64 after getting iMessage up and running. Restarted, and iMessage continued to worked with emuVariableUefi-64 removed.

Having just returned from vacation after nearly 2 weeks, I'm in the process of installing Mojave 10.14.2 from scratch on a spare disk. I'll look out for all such problems. My goal is to re-verify the build procedure using the latest versions of AppleALC, Lilu, and WhateverGreen. I'll also test "darkwake=0" for one-key wake from sleep. If iMessage, FaceTime, kernel panics or other problems pop up, I'll modify the procedure accordingly.

P.S. The new modified TonyMac website is looking good!

Hi, Thank you for your detail guide. It resolved many issues in my RIG. BTW, Two more thing I want to ask. I am using Z390 Aorus MS. Using Titan Ridge add-on card. Vega 64 LC.
1. HEVC (H.265) is not quite working very well with Vega64, not crush but really slow to render.
2. UHD630 enabled and working properly but in iTunes, if you see preview of any movie, it will be laggy. Without UHD630, it is fine.
3. Netflix issue in Safari. Black screen with UHD630 Enabled. but it is ok without UHD630.

I checked UHD630 and Vega64 are accelerated well.

Could you check yours?

OK, I can shutdown and boot and I'm about 95% there. I'm not sure all my USB ports are correct. The speeds don't seem to be what I should get form the USB3.1 ports and the USB3 ones. When I pull it up in System Profiler devices show as 480Mbs which is USB 2.0 (if I remember right). I need to do a little research here. And, I'm still not able to use FCPX yet. I do have iGPU enabled and it shows both it and the rx580 in Graphics. I'm backing everything up now and will keep tweaking!

Anyone bought the internal USB3.1 gen2 header out to the world? I'm found a cable on Amazon to do this.

It seemed to be hit or miss with the USB on the MB when first installing everything and which port I plugged my keyboard and mouse into. Also the BIOS was finicky updating from F3. I find it very interesting the F6a came so quickly after F5. Reading the couple preliminary Z390 Designare posts show a lot of USB glitches as people progressed.

The fun of being on the bleeding edge...

Thanks @CaseySJ for all your help here. And Tonymacx86! My Second Hackintosh is up and running.

Jules

Hi, Thank you for your detail guide. It resolved many issues in my RIG. BTW, Two more thing I want to ask. I am using Z390 Aorus MS. Using Titan Ridge add-on card. Vega 64 LC.
1. HEVC (H.265) is not quite working very well with Vega64, not crush but really slow to render.
2. UHD630 enabled and working properly but in iTunes, if you see preview of any movie, it will be laggy. Without UHD630, it is fine.
3. Netflix issue in Safari. Black screen with UHD630 Enabled. but it is ok without UHD630.

I checked UHD630 and Vega64 are accelerated well.

Could you check yours?
I just played the trailer for Mission Impossible Fallout in iTunes -- no problems at all. I have both UHD630 and RX580 enabled. HEVC and H.264 are fully enabled with UHD630.

I'm not a Netflix subscriber so maybe someone else here can check Netflix playback in Safari...

Anyone bought the internal USB3.1 gen2 header out to the world? I'm found a cable on Amazon to do this.
Here's the IORegistryExplorer view of HS (high speed) and SS (super speed) ports on my system. They do operate at full speed.

Attachments

• HS and SS ports.jpg
    HS and SS ports.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 99
Back