Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Thanks for the feedback and complete system spec. No WiFi/BT card other than built-in CNVi?

Correct. And, I don't know if it makes a difference but memory modules are installed as pictured. Would putting modules in different slots affect the memmap for some reason?

P.S. Just updated clover to 5098 and booting fine with Test 1 and Test 2 with slide=0.

Attachments

• Memory modules.png
    Memory modules.png
    773.3 KB · Views: 63
@digumo

Thanks for the feedback and complete system spec. No WiFi/BT card other than built-in CNVi?

In my case I’m using a Fenvi T919 WiFi/BT card and it works. Haven’t tried "Test 2" yet though, but I bet it works anyway if "Test 1" is working.

@CaseySJ Hi, just confirming that my rig is working with the VirtualSMC you sent me and will observe how it goes with my bluetooth connection.

Also, since I'm at it, I've also tried the OcQuirks / FwRuntimeServices from the files that @JimSalabim attached. Let me know which Test you want me to try. For fact, I'm also of course using Fenvi T919 and also an Evo 970 NVME. Update soon!

@CaseySJ Hi, just confirming that my rig is working with the VirtualSMC you sent me and will observe how it goes with my bluetooth connection.

Also, since I'm at it, I've also tried the OcQuirks / FwRuntimeServices from the files that @JimSalabim attached. Let me know which Test you want me to try. For fact, I'm also of course using Fenvi T919 and also an Evo 970 NVME. Update soon!
Thank you -- please try both TEST 1 and TEST 2.

Correct. And, I don't know if it makes a difference but memory modules are installed as pictured. Would putting modules in different slots affect the memmap for some reason?

P.S. Just updated clover to 5098 and booting fine with Test 1 and Test 2 with slide=0.
The memmap should not be affected by memory slots. The memory map is, instead, based on the set of connected devices such as iGPU, PCIe, Discrete GPU, etc.

Last edited:
TL;DR When running iMac19,1 or iMacPro1,1 the author thinks disabling the iGPU is the better choice. (pending any future revelations)

I'm leaving this comment here for anyone who is using their hack for FCP (Final Cut Pro) and thinking that running 19,1 with iGPU enabled is beneficial.

In my determination, it's not. I don't know how FCP chooses what to use, but with the iGPU enabled running iMac 19,1 it chooses the iGPU over a dGPU. This may be why FCP hackintoshers opt for SMBIOS of iMacPro1,1 without the iGPU (which I've not personally tested). With the recent realization that we could manage memory with FwRuntimeServices.efi and OcQuirks.efi, I was able to bump the iGPU's DVMT with Pre-allocation at 265MB and total memory set to MAX. Compared to the defaults, I noticed a good jump in FCP timeline performance, but nothing close to when the dGPU is allowed to handle it.

When you have a dGPU like the Radeon VII with 16GB or a 5700 XT with 8GB (running Catalina) the only thing you lose is hardware based HVEC (H.265). Maybe someone running iMacPro1,1 can chime in if HVEC on the dGPU is supported.

So, why run 19,1? Well, if you want Sidecar support in Catalina then this may be one reason, but for my personal situation, I've come to find that running iGPU disabled for FCP use is best. For a high workload with encoding for HVEC I would probably consider a second hack and offload to that while keeping the editing station nice and fast.

Disclaimer: I don't do a whole lot of editing - just for my own use. Also, there may be some magic setting somewhere that running both the iGPU and dGPU will allow FCP to choose the dGPU to do the heavy lifting, but I haven't personally found it yet. If you are running with the iGPU disabled then, as stated elseware in this thread, you'll need to add the shiki values which allow you to use Quicklook with jpegs within the Finder.

I am eternally grateful to @CaseySJ and all the other contributors and developers of the parts and pieces necessary to make this machine work. It's both and enjoyable journey and a valuable lesson in learning more about how these "magical" machines called computers work.

[Update] I struck the iMacPro1,1 based on further comments below.

Attachments

• boot args.png
    boot args.png
    57.2 KB · Views: 86
Last edited:
@digumo I am running iMacPro1,1 SMBIOS with a Vega 64. Only with iGPU enabled in Bios HEVC 8 Bit export works as fast as it should in Final Cut Pro and Compressor. It is extremely slow when iGPU is disabled in Bios. HEVC 8 Bit export with QuickTime Player works just as fast as it should, no matter wether iGPU is enabled or disabled. So QuickTime Player shows the correct behavior for iMacPro1,1 SMBIOS: The iGPU is not used, no matter if it’s enabled or not.
With iGPU enabled only the Vega 64 is used for exporting HEVC (which is fine and just like it’s supposed to be). The iGPU doesn’t do anything at all here, because this is iMacPro1,1 SMBIOS.
But HEVC export should behave just the same with iGPU disabled. But it doesn’t. There must be some bug in Final Cut and Compressor which slows down the export and puts all the pressure on the CPU instead when iGPU is disabled. Other software (QuickTime Player, Adobe Premiere Pro) behaves correctly and exports at full speed with iGPU disabled.

TL;DR Whether running iMac19,1 or iMacPro1,1 the author thinks disabling the iGPU is the better choice. (pending any future revelations)

I'm leaving this comment here for anyone who is using their hack for FCP (Final Cut Pro) and thinking that running 19,1 with iGPU enabled is beneficial.

In my determination, it's not. I don't know how FCP chooses what to use, but with the iGPU enabled running iMac 19,1 it chooses the iGPU over a dGPU. This may be why FCP hackintoshers opt for SMBIOS of iMacPro1,1 without the iGPU (which I've not personally tested). With the recent realization that we could manage memory with FwRuntimeServices.efi and OcQuirks.efi, I was able to bump the iGPU's DVMT with Pre-allocation at 265MB and total memory set to MAX. Compared to the defaults, I noticed a good jump in FCP timeline performance, but nothing close to when the dGPU is allowed to handle it.

When you have a dGPU like the Radeon VII with 16GB or a 5700 XT with 8GB (running Catalina) the only thing you lose is hardware based HVEC (H.265). Maybe someone running iMacPro1,1 can chime in if HVEC on the dGPU is supported.

So, why run 19,1? Well, if you want Sidecar support in Catalina then this may be one reason, but for my personal situation, I've come to find that running iGPU disabled for FCP use is best. For a high workload with encoding for HVEC I would probably consider a second hack and offload to that while keeping the editing station nice and fast.

Disclaimer: I don't do a whole lot of editing - just for my own use. Also, there may be some magic setting somewhere that running both the iGPU and dGPU will allow FCP to choose the dGPU to do the heavy lifting, but I haven't personally found it yet. If you are running with the iGPU disabled then, as stated elseware in this thread, you'll need to add the shiki values which allow you to use Quicklook with jpegs within the Finder.

I am eternally grateful to @CaseySJ and all the other contributors and developers of the parts and pieces necessary to make this machine work. It's both and enjoyable journey and a valuable lesson in learning more about how these "magical" machines called computers work.

If you want HEVC support with IGPU disabled, use iMacPro1,1 system definition.

The down side is that I don't know of anyone who has gotten sidecar to work on iMacPro1,1.

@pastrychef HEVC support with iGPU disabled is given with iMacPro1,1 but NOT in Final Cut Pro and Compressor. In Final Cut Pro and Compressor it only works at full speed with iGPU enabled (even though the iGPU isn’t even doing anything). See my above post.

Last edited:
Back