Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

I disconnected all devices (I have just a mouse on one USB port). Freezes append when I am usuing Chrome with Itunes open, nothing more. On chrome, I am not playing any video. Really strange.

Is it maybe I activated Filevault and added somes UFI drivers ?

View attachment 428979

My mac OS version is : 10.14.6
Clover : 5.4.5.0
Several issues have been reported recently with Chrome on macOS. Some suggestions:

@CaseySJ

Sorry if this has been answered earlier in the thread... But have you tried replacing the Wi-Fi/Bluetooth card that comes with this motherboard or was it just assumed that it won't work? I know that some Asus Z390 motherboard owners have gotten macOS compatible M.2 Wi-Fi/Bluetooth cards working by replacing the stock cards...

I'm asking because I was thinking last night (always a bad thing) and thought that it might be a hidden BIOS setting that may be preventing the use of non-CNVI cards, similar to how DVMT settings or MSR settings are sometimes hidden from users in BIOS.
I saw on another site that someone with our MoBo has replaced the card without issue.

Although you removed HS10 from the body of the SSDT, you didn't reduce the package content count from 30 to 28.
  • With 15 ports, the package count is 30 items because there are 2 package entries for each port:
    • Name of port
    • Attributes of port
  • Because you removed one port, there are 14 left, and a total of 28 entries in the package.
In the attached file, I've reduced the count to 28, which is 0x1C in hex.

View attachment 428922
wow!!! I was never able to figure out what the "port count" referred to!! more good info from CaseySJ!

@CaseySJ
Hello
I just opened it on Hackintosh Mojave and it's ok. On my iMac there is still Sierra OS.A question please. Should it redo the complete installation on a Mojave support or is there another solution?
Thanks for your help

Hello @pastrychef,

This is a very good topic to reopen in light of this post by @picov who was able to substitute the CNVi module on his Gigabyte B360N WiFi ITX with:
  • A Key A/E adapter. Here's the one he uses.
  • A Broadcom 943602CS module.
I wasn't sure whether I had tried the same thing so I searched my Amazon order history and voilà, I purchased this item back on December 4, 2018. That jogged my memory, so this is what I found back then:
  • This is the same Key A/E adapter mentioned by picov, but it does not fit in the Designare Z390 motherboard because there's a PCIe x1 slot in the way.
  • The red box indicates the approximate footprint of the adapter. There is a breakable section on the far end of the adapter, but if I recall correctly, even with that removed the card is too long.
    View attachment 428985
  • Nevertheless, I inserted the adapter anyway (without screwing it in place, of course), but the Broadcom module was not detected in IOReg.
  • I had a brief exchange with @toleda on this topic here, who suggested in Page 2 of that thread that Gigabyte BIOS may be preventing any non-CNVi device from being installed in the Socket 1 slot.
Regarding a possibly hidden BIOS setting, I have extracted Setup.dxe from the Designare firmware, but haven't explicitly looked for such a setting. This can be a homework assignment for this evening.

The PCI-e x1 slot preventing longer cards (such as the ones Apple uses) or adaptors can be worked around by using other cards such as the Dell DW1560 or DW1830. Those cards will require a few kexts to work correctly with macOS, but they work.

In my experience, using the onboard M.2 slots for Wi-Fi/Bluetooth seems to work better than using PCI-e adaptors. For example, using a PCI-e adaptor, when waking my systems, there's a much longer delay before the Bluetooth is actually active. When using the onboard M.2 like I do with my Z370-G motherboard, Bluetooth is immediately active on wake.

On my Gigabyte Z390 motherboard (which has a CNVI slot but does not come with a Wi-Fi/Bluetooth module included), there are no options in BIOS that mention Wi-Fi or Bluetooth at all. This was also true of Thunderbolt. It wasn't until I actually installed the Titan Ridge card that the Thunderbolt options became visible in BIOS.

According to the IOReg file, the hot plug Thunderbolt SSDT is not in use. Were you able to test that SSDT along with SSDT-DTPG?

The fact that the TB1 drive did connect in macOS and Windows is actually a good sign.
yes, I am using the alpine ridge ssdt that you sent me, as well as the dtgp ssdt. I think it's time to send the AR card back to amazon. thanks for your help.

@CaseySJ
Hello
I just opened it on Hackintosh Mojave and it's ok. On my iMac there is still Sierra OS.A question please. Should it redo the complete installation on a Mojave support or is there another solution?
Thanks for your help
I think the Google translation is confusing!

Can you please summarize (a) what is work, and (b) what is not working?

Also feel free to post the following so I can check whether they are correct for this motherboard:
  • Compress and upload your CLOVER folder from EFI partition of Mojave SSD.
    • Please remove serial numbers from config.plist
  • Screenshot of the /Library/Extensions folder on the Mojave SSD.

Hello @ummario, nice to hear from you again! Please see this post about my plans to update the guide for Catalina:

Rumors suggest a release sometime this week, but I'm not too sure. If there's going to be an October Apple Event for new Mac hardware such as the rumored 16-inch MacBook Pro, I think Apple might wait until then. On the other hard, Apple has been somewhat unpredictable this year.

Well...

Well so now Catalina is officially released.. I'd like to start to get a picture of who has a working Sidecar setup and who doesn't. I, like some other folks, only see a black screen on my iPad (pro 3 12.9) when attempting to enable sidecar.

At first I assumed this was because I have my iGPU disabled is the UEFI (iMacPro1,1), however, as I understand this feature should work with real Macs that do not have iGPUs, so it might not be the iGPU after all.

At this point I'm excited to see if others on this thread with Designare boards see Sidecar working?

P.S. my Catalina update went extremely smooth, no issues, no, glitches, just a. straight upgrade using the inbuilt software update process.

Back