Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Good questions. Please note:
  • Ports SS07 and SS09 on the Thunderbolt 3 USB-C connectors will be activated by a different XHC controller once you install a working Thunderbolt SSDT.
  • There is no need to activate these ports through the USB SSDT unless Thunderbolt does not work. So if you simply cannot enable Thunderbolt, then we can try to enable ports SS07 and SS09, but we will have to disable two other USB ports.
  • If you disable HS07 and HS08, it will have NO impact on Thunderbolt.

Ok Thanks for the explanation. But here's my situation at the moment:

I'm testing with a Caldigit TS3 Thunderbolt 3 hub, and it seems to work only when booted with cable attached. So, not hotplug is active. Do you know how can solve this?

Also would prefer to have USB-c 3.1 enabled on ss07 and ss08 and disconnect the 2 USB 2.0 ports (marked as HS11 by @frickergg). Is really not that urgent, but maybe you can help me on this one of this days.

Thank you!

Ok Thanks for the explanation. But here's my situation at the moment:

I'm testing with a Caldigit TS3 Thunderbolt 3 hub, and it seems to work only when booted with cable attached. So, not hotplug is active. Do you know how can solve this?

Also would prefer to have USB-c 3.1 enabled on ss07 and ss08 and disconnect the 2 USB 2.0 ports (marked as HS11 by @frickergg). Is really not that urgent, but maybe you can help me on this one of this days.

Thank you!
I think I asked this before but I forgot...so:
  • Have you installed the Thunderbolt SSDT and the SSDT-DTPG files in CLOVER/ACPI/patched?
  • If you have already done this, then please run IORegistryExplorer and upload the IOReg file. This will tell me if the Thunderbolt SSDT needs to be modified.

I think I asked this before but I forgot...so:
  • Have you installed the Thunderbolt SSDT and the SSDT-DTPG files in CLOVER/ACPI/patched?
  • If you have already done this, then please run IORegistryExplorer and upload the IOReg file. This will tell me if the Thunderbolt SSDT needs to be modified.

No I have not. Where can I find those?

Ok found SSDT-DTPG on post-install files. But don't see Thunderbolt SSDT

By the way... the other day, when I was going thought pos-install, I didn't install as well:

SSDT-UIAC-DESIGNARE-Z390-V3
SSDT-Z390-DESIGNARE-RX580
SSDT-Z390-DESIGNARE-TB3HP-V3

This because all of them mention your motherboard, and I thought that I could mess with something.

At this moment on CLOVER/ACPI/patched I only have the 'SSDT-UIAC-AORUS-EXTREME-Z390' that you have created

Last edited:
@frickergg The attached Custom USB SSDT is for your configuration (Gigabyte AORUS Extreme Z390).

It enables the following 15 ports:
  • USB 2.0 -- HS02, HS03, HS04, HS05, HS06, HS10, HS11, HS12, HS13
  • USB 3.0 -- SS02, SS03, SS04, SS05, SS06
  • USB 3.1 Gen 2 (USB-C) -- SS01
To install (do this on EFI partition of Mojave SSD):
  • Copy the file to CLOVER/ACPI/patched
  • In config.plist, disable the USB port limit patch from "Kernel and Kext Patches"
  • In config.plist, remove any boot arguments that are explicitly disabling ports (uia_exclude=...)
  • Save config.plist and reboot
Test all your ports and if you have any problems please save your IOReg file (using IORegistryExplorer) and upload.

@CaseySJ Tested all the ports and they work great! Thank you! Bluetooth and Wifi also work. When I save IOregistry file, its 91 MB so I think something is wrong there.

Also, switching to iMacPro 1,1 solved my Jpeg preview problem as well. Thanks @ummario

Thanks for sharing. I must confess this board/configuration is giving me a hard time.

- At this moment .jpg preview is not working. edit: Changed SMBIOS to iMacPro1,1 and .jpg preview is working again!!!

- Also when I'm restarting computer I hear a very strange sound, right before i see the Apple logo in the final boot part. Does you board/system makes any strange noise? Mine is like a small buzz, sort of electric sound. It really sounds weird.

- My monitor has remote control, and I can turn it off. But when i turn it back on, sometimes I only see black screen, has to try several times, or even force restart to have back image on screen. Also computer restarts by itself when screen is disconnected

- Sleep is not working (even for me is not that important), and sometimes reboots when i try to do it. (I think is related to te above problem as well)

- USB and Thunderbolt also a mess. But will try solve this last thing to do

Hopefully step by step we will go there :)

@ummario, my computer also makes those clicking electronic noises when it turns on / reboot. Nothing to worry about.

Ok found SSDT-DTPG on post-install files. But don't see Thunderbolt SSDT

by the way... the other day when I was going thought pos-install, I didn't install as well:

SSDT-UIAC-DESIGNARE-Z390-V3
SSDT-Z390-DESIGNARE-RX580
SSDT-Z390-DESIGNARE-TB3HP-V3

This because all of them mention your motherboard, and i thought that I could mess with something.

At this moment on CLOVER/ACPI/patched I only have the 'SSDT-UIAC-AORUS-EXTREME-Z390' that you have created
The third file is the Thunderbolt SSDT. TB3HP means Thunderbolt 3 Hot Plug. Please copy that into ACPI/patched, reboot and see if you can hot plug your TB3 devices.

The third file is the Thunderbolt SSDT. TB3HP means Thunderbolt 3 Hot Plug. Please copy that into ACPI/patched, reboot and see if you can hot plug your TB3 devices.

From a fast test... no, it doesn't work. I need to reboot with cable plugged in.

I have loaded with the thunderbolt SSDT and without it and With and without the helper file with no success. Here is the large IORegistry File. Sincerely though, thanks for the SSDT.

Attachments

• frickergg iMac - .ioreg
    87.6 MB · Views: 145
I still can't select the UHD 630 in Geekbench like I used to. What is the best way to check to make sure that I can make use of quicksync?

Also, I think I am having a problem with ACPI not being patched correctly. I think that Power management is not implemented because when I start my computer up, I have wifi + bluetooth, but when I turn off wifi as a test, I am unable to turn the wifi back on.

Last edited:
I still can't select the UHD 630 in Geekbench like I used to. What is the best way to check to make sure that I can make use of quicksync?
Try: VideoProc --> Setting --> Options

Your iGPU is not activated according to IORegistry file. If you changed SMBIOS to iMacPro1,1 after generating this file, then no problem.

Back