Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

T

Thanks CaseySJ, i've updated the firmware, ...Is there any user i can personally ask how they are physically connecting the Apollo Twin to USB-C port on back of Hackintosh?.....I just need to know what TB2 to TB3/USB-C adapter they are using. ...as i suspect that the Apple adapter cable i am using may be the problem. This is what i'm using (and this cable definitely works on 2019 MBP)...
https://www.apple.com/shop/product/MMEL2AM/A/thunderbolt-3-usb-c-to-thunderbolt-2-adapter

PS : Also my Titan Ridge is definitely recognized, as i can see it in System Profiler / Hardware / PCI Section

This TB3-->TB2 adapter works with the UAD Twin: here.

But there is a TB3 dock in-between the mobo and the adapter due to the distance between the Twin and the mobo. On the first post of this thread, there is a list of TB docks that work with this mobo.

Last edited:
*** Experimental Support for NZXT Smart Device V2 ***

IMG_0010.jpg
Update 3 Nov 2019:
Support for NZXT Smart Device V2 is available now in liquidctl v1.3.0rc1. The HUE 2 lighting controller is expected to be supported in the final release of v1.3.0.​

A few weeks ago NZXT released their new 2019 computer cases with on-board USB-C ports and integrated Fan and Lighting controllers. The NZXT H710i, H510i, H510 Elite, and H210i all feature the newer Smart Device V2 that supports HUE 2 lighting accessories (HUE 2 LED strip, HUE 2 Underglow, HUE 2 Cable Comb) and Aer RGB 2 fans.

Having just built a new Hackintosh/Windows dual-boot system around the H510 Elite and NZXT Kraken X62 liquid cooler, I found that liquidctl does not support the Smart Device V2. It can control the Kraken X62, but on cold starts I found my Aer RGB 2 fans and HUE 2 lighting strip defaulting to white, so I decided to modify the Smart Device driver.

Attached is an early version of that driver that adds partial support for the Smart Device V2. More details are in the comments at the top of the file.

Please note the current functions and limitations:
  • If more than one NZXT device is connected, use -d to specify device index.
    • Because I have the Kraken X62 as device 0 and Smart Device V2 as device 1, I must specify -d every time.
  • Initialize the device:
    • liquidctl -d 1 initialize
  • The driver supports set <channel> color fairly well, but needs testing of all modes.
    • Example 1: Set backwards-spectrum-wave on device 1, lighting channel 1:
      • liquidctl -d 1 set sync1 color backwards-spectrum-wave --speed slower
      • Values of --speed can be: slowest, slower, normal, faster, fastest
    • Example 2: Set fixed red color (RRGGBB) on device 1, lighting channel 2:
      • liquidctl -d 1 set sync2 color fixed ff0000
  • The driver supports status as follows:
    • Example:
      • liquidctl -d 1 status
    • This will report:

Screen Shot 2019-10-04 at 7.01.06 PM.png
      Screen Shot 2019-10-04 at 7.19.12 PM.png
      Screen Shot 2019-10-05 at 6.39.18 AM.png
      • Fan <n> RPM and Duty% if connected
      • Ambient noise level in dB
      • Firmware version
      • HUE2 lighting accessories (LED Strip, Cable Comb, Underglow)
      • Aer RGB Fans (120mm and 140mm)
    • Other fan information (PWM vs DC, Voltage, Current) is being worked on.
  • The driver supports set <channel> speed by specifying the Duty % for each fan, from 0% (fan off) to 100% (full speed).
    • Example:
      • liquidctl -d 1 set fan1 speed 45
      • liquidctl -d 1 set fan2 speed 55
If you have one of these NZXT cases, feel free to install liquidctl by following this guide, and then replace the following file (back up the original one first):
  • /Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/3.7/lib/python3.7/site-packages/liquidctl/driver/nzxt_smart_device.py
By the way, liquidctl has expanded greatly. It supports much more than NZXT:
Screen Shot 2019-10-01 at 10.58.15 AM.png

UPDATES:
  • 30 Sep 2019:
    • Added support for setting fan speed via set <channel> speed command.
    • Added fan duty information in status output.
    • The updated driver is in the newly attached nzxt_smart_device.py-v2.zip
  • 02 Oct 2019:
    • Extended status command to display:
      • Firmware version
      • Connected HUE2 lighting devices:
        • HUE2 LED Strip
        • HUE2 Cable Comb
      • Support for HUE2 Underglow is pending...
    • The updated driver is in the newly attached nzxt_smart_device.py-v3.zip
  • 04 Oct 2019:
    • Reworked the status function for both speed and more complete reporting.
    • Added support for HUE2 Underglow (200mm version)
    • Added support for Aer RGB 120mm and 140mm fans
    • The updated driver is in the newly attached nzxt_smart_device.py-v4.zip
  • 05 Oct 2019:
    • Fixed the initialize function for this device. Now the driver will work even on a cold start into macOS. Always call the initialize function first.
    • The updated driver is in the newly attached nzxt_smart_device.py-v5.zip
  • 06 Oct 2019:
    • Fixed problem with setting color modes that require more than one color
    • The updated driver is in the newly attached nzxt_smart_device.py-v6.zip

Attachments

• nzxt_smart_device.py.zip
    5.2 KB · Views: 85
  • nzxt_smart_device.py-v2.zip
    5.5 KB · Views: 65
  • nzxt_smart_device.py-v3.zip
    5.7 KB · Views: 73
  • nzxt_smart_device.py-v4.zip
    6.1 KB · Views: 70
  • nzxt_smart_device.py-v5.zip
    6.2 KB · Views: 70
  • nzxt_smart_device.py-v6.zip
    6.2 KB · Views: 81
Last edited:
I unexpectedly qualified for same-day delivery for my alpine ridge card and TB3 to 2 adapter. should be here this afternoon. which SSDT's will I need to add?
thanks

I unexpectedly qualified for same-day delivery for my alpine ridge card and TB3 to 2 adapter. should be here this afternoon. which SSDT's will I need to add?
thanks
After installing the card, please run IORegistryExplorer and select File --> Save As... to export the IOReg file. Then upload the file so I can modify the Thunderbolt hot plug SSDT for your motherboard.

However, the SSDT is not technically necessary if Thunderbolt devices are connected to the system and powered up before booting macOS.

I’ve tried a number of reinstalls and then configured as per the original post but every time I get the error messages
“failed to get apfs volume keybag” and it hangs for about 10 minutes before continuing and finally stopping and asking me to report the kernel panic to Apple.

I must be going wrong somewhere. Is anyone willing to share their EFI folder with me to see if I can get it up and running?

Thanks in advance to anyone willing.

I’ve tried a number of reinstalls and then configured as per the original post but every time I get the error messages
“failed to get apfs volume keybag” and it hangs for about 10 minutes before continuing and finally stopping and asking me to report the kernel panic to Apple.

I must be going wrong somewhere. Is anyone willing to share their EFI folder with me to see if I can get it up and running?

Thanks in advance to anyone willing.
  • Is this on the Gigabyte Z390 Designare?
  • What is the make and model of the Mojave SSD?
  • Are you installing 10.14.6?
  • Which version of Clover is being installed?

• Is this on the Gigabyte Z390 Designare?
  • What is the make and model of the Mojave SSD?
  • Are you installing 10.14.6?
  • Which version of Clover is being installed?

Yes, the Z390 Designare with latest F7 BIOS.
EVO 970 Plus M2 500GB with latest firmware
Mojave 10.14.6
Whichever version of Clover that Multibeast installs, can’t remember off hand.

@jrebergen,

Slow startup times can be due to corrupted CMOS. Even though you have disks A and B which are clones of each other, they have different identifiers stored in CMOS/NVRAM.

Suggestion 1:
  • Shutdown the system and flip power switch on PSU for 10 seconds to fully cut power from the system. Then turn it back on. Does the original drive still boot slowly?
Suggestion 2:
  • Reset CMOS by shorting the two designated pins on the motherboard. Please follow the instruction in the Designare user's manual.
  • When the system restarts, enter BIOS Setup and configure BIOS parameters once again starting with Save & Exit --> Load Optimized Defaults.
  • Does the original drive still boot slowly?
Thanks for your reply! I did suggestion 1 a while ago, but with no effect. I will try suggestion 2 in the near future as this takes some more preparation. I have to get some work done first. ;)

@CaseySJ Looks like it works. Also, when I dumped the preboot.log with F2, Clover did view the RAM as it is in reality, not SMBIOS. It was as I expected it to be but it never hurts to verify.

I pretended that I had 8 RAM slots, and that 0 1 2 3 mapped to 4 5 6 7. So I have a 16GB in slots 0 and 2 and a 32GB in slots 1 and 3, so I filled in 16GB for 0 1 2 3, and another 16GB for slots 5 and 7, as if the sticks were double wide connected to an imaginary slot at the bottom of each.

I don't know if any of those positioning matters in the slightest, because I was able to fill all that in and boot with one of the 32GB UDIMMs missing and Mac didn't care and still listed 96GB in About This Mac.

So based off this I see no reason that this method with SMBIOS filled out for 8x16GB properly won't work for a full 128GB. At some point in the future I intend to max it out, but at $150 per stick of RAM I'm pacing myself.

I'm wondering if there is any chance that this isn't working like I think and Mac is only using them to half capacity. I doubt it but you never know. Activity Monitor reports 96GB. I think I'll just spoof a full 128GB and see if that falls for it. I know About This Mac trusts whatever the SMBIOS tells it, and I can lie to it there.

For a more visual explanation. For anyone going full 128GB just fill in 4 and 6 with another 16GB stick, changing the frequency accordingly. I doubt the Vendor/Part/Serial matter but may as well change that.

I set 2667 instead of 2666 because on a real iMac 2019 it reports 2667 in About This Mac and I wanted to match that. I guess it just rounds up as I can see it sometimes hit 2667 in the BIOS.
View attachment 424741

EDIT: If I spoof 128GB, 32GB more than I have, it shows 128GB in Activity Monitor and CleanMyMac, so it's a widespread effect. I set it back to 96GB to match what I have. Unsure of how I can test if it's being utilized properly.

Other than that I wonder if this is something Clover can fix automatically in the future. A real iMac19,1 already supports 4x32GB configuration as is.
Yessssss! Thank you Sooo much! This did it! I could finally get into a new installation of Mac OS 10.14.6 with announcing 8 16gb slots instead of 4 with 32gb in SMBIOS - just as you explained here.
Now, I will do a new install, test it properly and probably won't have to bite the $6000 entrance fee ... ;-)
you really made my day!
For the search engine:
128gb RAM does work with this build!

Last edited:
After installing the card, please run IORegistryExplorer and select File --> Save As... to export the IOReg file. Then upload the file so I can modify the Thunderbolt hot plug SSDT for your motherboard.

However, the SSDT is not technically necessary if Thunderbolt devices are connected to the system and powered up before booting macOS.
no luck.
I adjusted the TB bios settings per the guide.
installed the alpine ridge card in the X4 slot
connected the card to the THB_C header.
plugged the apple TB3 to TB2 adapter into the card
plugged the Seagate TB1 HD dock into the adapter
booted
HD not recognized.
attached are IO reg before and after.
where in io reg should the alpine ridge card show up?
thanks!!

edit--to test the display ability of the alpine ridge, I plugged a DP to miniDP from my rx590 output to the DPin on the alpine ridge, and the HDMI port of the alpine ridge properly drives my monitor.

I have a project to do for my daughter, but later today I'll boot to windows and see how the card responds. there is a windows driver I will need to install.

full disclosure: because I'm thrifty (cheap?) I bought a "like-new" alpine ridge from Amazon at about half the cost of new. I thought it was new, since there was still an intact factory-type seal on the box. but the header connector was wrapped with a rubber band, and the first owner very carefully removed the seal on the anti-static bag so that looked new, too. and no install manual nor windows driver CD. hopefully if the card were defective the returner would have said so to amazon and they wouldn't have put in into their "warehouse" section. we'll see.

Attachments

• Office iMac pre TB.zip
    999.5 KB · Views: 56
  • Office iMac post TB.zip
    1,006.9 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:
Back