Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

*** Please help with Z390 Aorus Xtreme ***

I've tried unsuccessfully to get a Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Xtreme with bios F7 to boot with an i9-9900K & Vega 56.
I've followed the guide. Added the files for the Z390 Xtreme (SSDT-Z390-AORUS-EXTREME-TB3HP-V4.aml,SSDT-UIAC-AORUS-EXTREME-Z390-V3.aml,SSDT-EC.aml,SSDT-DTPG.aml,& SSDT-DESIGNARE-Z390-NO-CNVW.aml in ACPI/patched) and USBInjectAll.kext in kexts/other. I have a BCM94360CS2 wifi/bluetooth card. I've tried disabling the 10G NIC, disabling the onboard intel NIC, disabling the onboard audio, using a different NIC, etc.
The setup will run memtest overnight with no errors. It is not overclocked.
I have 64GB RAM and a 2TB Samsung 970 Evo NVMe drive.
Sometimes I get "Couldn't allocate runtime area"
Sometimes I get a freeze (see screenshot)
Sometimes I get a kernel panic
I'm trying to install 10.14.6 with UniBeast 9.2.0
Does anyone see anything obvious that I've done wrong or recognize a symptom of some obvious mis-config? Does anyone have any suggestions of steps to take?
Should I be using a specific USB port to boot from on the Z390 Aorus Xtreme?
View attachment 423442
View attachment 423443

I tried F6 BIOS and I get a kernel panic:
View attachment 423446
View attachment 423447
View attachment 423448

You probably already would've thought of this, but if your 970 NVMe is a 970 Plus, you have to do a firmware update for it before installing macOS.

Looks like I did everything right, though when I open the plist with clover, I see "Inject Intel" still checked. I don't think that should be checked... right?

Here are my screenshots of what I did
The wording of the last step was not clear so I've changed it to this:

"In Clover Configurator open the modified config.plist and uncheck/blank-out all entries in the Graphics page."

I've tried unsuccessfully to get a Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Xtreme with bios F7 to boot with an i9-9900K & Vega 56.
I've followed the guide. Added the files for the Z390 Xtreme (SSDT-Z390-AORUS-EXTREME-TB3HP-V4.aml,SSDT-UIAC-AORUS-EXTREME-Z390-V3.aml,SSDT-EC.aml,SSDT-DTPG.aml,& SSDT-DESIGNARE-Z390-NO-CNVW.aml in ACPI/patched) and USBInjectAll.kext in kexts/other. I have a BCM94360CS2 wifi/bluetooth card. I've tried disabling the 10G NIC, disabling the onboard intel NIC, disabling the onboard audio, using a different NIC, etc.
Does anyone see anything obvious that I've done wrong or recognize a symptom of some obvious mis-config? Does anyone have any suggestions of steps to take?
View attachment 423442
View attachment 423443

View attachment 423446
View attachment 423447
View attachment 423448
Some suggestions/questions:
  • As Alex mentioned above, if you have the Samsung 970 EVO Plus model, it will be necessary to update its firmware using Samsung Magician software in Windows. The standard 970 EVO and the 970 EVO Pro will work out-of-the-box.
  • Please check the CLOVER/drivers64UEFI folder (or CLOVER/UEFI/driversif using Clover 5xxx) to ensure that only one memory fix driver is present. This means:
    • OsxAptioFix2Drv-free2000.efi should be present.
    • But OsxAptioFix3Drv.efi, OsxAptioFix2Drv.efi, AptioMemoryFix.efi, etc. should all be removed.
    • Also check that slide=0 is present in Clover Configurator --> Boot Arguments.
  • In which slot is the WiFi/BT card plugged? It may be necessary to move it to one of the 3 long slots instead of the 2 short x1 slots.
  • It might also be a good idea to disable the IGPU in BIOS and connect your monitor directly to the Vega56. The IGPU can be turned on after installation is done.

Thanks Mate

Confirm working on i9-9900K
Ram -> HyperX RGB@3600 x16g
NVME -> Samsung 970 pro 512

Mobo BIOS :F7

Have to enable

• Vt-d → Enable
  • CSM Support → Enable

Rest of them are history

Mainly for Xcode, Flutter development, Android

Genymotion works

TB works
Audio works
HDMI on Rx580 Gaming X

Wifi and BT are waiting shipping from China

I also own a Macbook pro i9, pretty much double of the speed, cost 1/3 of the price
Glad to hear it -- and welcome to the forum!

@CaseySJ, did everything you said, and of course, iMovie opened perfectly after reboot. You're the best. I still have a lot more to learn!

My last question: in Hackintool 2.7.7 under "Bootloader" and "Installed" should I install all of the available updates, or should I just stick with what I have? Updates include:

• Update to 5058 of Clover
  • Apple ALC to 1.4.1
  • Fake SMC
  • IntelMausi Ethernet to 2.5.0
  • Lilu to 1.3.8
  • WEG to 1.3.2

View attachment 423442
View attachment 423443

View attachment 423446
View attachment 423447
View attachment 423448
Are you using the memory fix driver: OsxAptioFix2Drv-free2000.efi? Maker sure you don't have this and another memory fix driver being loaded at the same time. Look in your /EFI/CLOVER/drivers/UEFI directory (for newer Clover installs) or /EFI/CLOVER/drivers64UEFI for older Clover installs.

@CaseySJ, did everything you said, and of course, iMovie opened perfectly after reboot. You're the best. I still have a lot more to learn!

My last question: in Hackintool 2.7.7 under "Bootloader" and "Installed" should I install all of the available updates, or should I just stick with what I have? Updates include:

• Update to 5058 of Clover
  • Apple ALC to 1.4.1
  • Fake SMC
  • IntelMausi Ethernet to 2.5.0
  • Lilu to 1.3.8
  • WEG to 1.3.2
Good question because this is an easy trap to fall into! We should not update to these latest versions because most of them have not actually been released by the developer. Hackintool has the ability to download and compile work-in-progress source code and increment the version number. Code commits are always taking place, so downloading these non-released versions is equivalent to using a "daily build" instead of a final release build.

So if you do this for AppleALC, you will have version 1.4.1, but this version will absolutely differ from the official AppleALC 1.4.1 when the developers at acidanthera GitHub finally issue their official release.

IntelMausiEthernet 2.5.0 may be worth trying, but an earlier build broke the Intel i219 Ethernet port. So it's okay to give this another try.

Clover, FakeSMC, VirtualSMC, Lilu, WEG, AppleALC, IntelMausiEthernet, etc. should only be downloaded and installed once their developers have published the official release builds.

@CaseySJ
Thank you!! Moving the wifi/BT card to the last slot (the last wide slot, not a 1x slot) resolved the issue. I'd suggest adding this as a note to the guide for any other Z390 Aorus Xtreme users (The guide currently suggests installing the wifi/BT card in a 1x slot--I guess that is good for the Designare but not the Xtreme).
Note: this success was with BIOS F6 (I haven't tried F7 again since resolving the issue)

@CaseySJ and @AlexComputerWiz --for completeness here are some more details on the Z390 Aorus Xtreme config (in case others are following this)
The NVMe is a 970 Evo (Not the pro)
I have my display connected to the Vega 56 (in slot 1) via HDMI (I had tried iGPU enabled and disabled and auto)
I've verified slide=0 and ONLY one memory fix driver: OsxAptioFix2Drv-free2000.efi
I had also tried a BCM94360-based wifi/BT card (like the Fenvi FV-T919) and it had the same issues (system wouldn't start with it in the 1x slot)

Last edited:
@mdog474, agreed. Following changes were made:

Screen Shot 2019-08-28 at 6.21.13 AM.png

Screen Shot 2019-08-28 at 6.22.45 AM.png

Back