Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

I tried all these but didn't help. What helped was to reflash the BIOS with F6 again. Now I'm in the installation process! Hope everything goes well. Thanks :)
I wanted to add that to the list (as I used to do a couple months ago) but thought CMOS Reset might be enough! Anyway, the rest of the installation should be straightforward...

Let's take a closer look at this because the Fenvi FV-T919 has been a highly reliable product on this system:
  • Remove the Bluetooth dongle so we can troubleshoot the Fenvi without interference.
  • Then please do this:
    • Run IORegistryExplorer and select File --> Save As... Upload the saved file.
    • Also upload screenshot of /Library/Extensions folder.
    • Lastly, compress and upload the CLOVER folder from EFI Partition of Mojave SSD (you may redact serial numbers from SMBIOS of config.plist).
What to look for in these files/screenshots:
  • In IOReg, we want see whether the Fenvi Bluetooth is connected to either HS11 or HS12, and the correct set of Bluetooth sub-devices is listed under either HS11 or HS12.
  • In /Library/Extensionswe want to ensure that no unneeded drivers are installed. We should remove the following if installed:
    • AirportBrcmFixup
    • BrcmPatchRAM / BrcmPatchRAM2
    • BrcmFirmwareRepo
  • In CLOVER/ACPI/patched we want to check that SSDT-DESIGNARE-Z390-NO-CNVW.aml is present.
Lastly, which slot is the Fenvi installed in?
  • Top short slot
  • Bottom short slot
  • Bottom long slot
  • Middle long slot
  • Top long slot
Thanks again for your time Casey...

Please find attached a .zip with the requested files.

I've double-checked the /Library/Extensions folder and no sign of those 3 kexts.

In Clover/ACPI/patched you'll find the latest version of SSDT-DESIGNARE-Z390-NO-CNVW.aml too

The Fenvi is installed in the top short slot (PCIEX1_1 near the CNVW), and the RX580 in the PCIEX8

Thanks
Frederic

Attachments

• fenk-stuff.zip
    7.6 MB · Views: 79
Hello @Seahawk, here are a couple of suggestions:
  • Insert the USB disk on the real Mac and run Disk Utility. Select “View—>Show all Devices”. Click the parent name of he USB disk and check the information on the right side. Does it show the scheme as “GUID Partition Table”?
  • While USB disk is still on the Mac, mount the EFI partition with Clover Configurator or other utility. Do you see a new disk icon on the desktop or in Finder with the name “EFI”?
If both of these are okay, then CMOS on the Designare board may need to be reset. First, remove power cable for about 10 seconds. Then reboot machine with USB install disk in any of the Blue ports on the rear IO panel.

Does BIOS recognize the USB disk?

Hi CaseySJ
You are right, I forgot to select guid partition. The usb was with MBR.
I tried again and the bios detected the usb properly. I installed mojave and Multibeast following the guide. Very useful, congratulations.

Now I am stuck with the next step (post-install files.zip):

For drivers64UEFI, kets/other and library/extension folders, I copied all files

But for CLOVER/ACPI/patched, i copied all files except the following 2 files:

- SSDT-Z390-DESIGNARE-RX580-V2.aml:
as a Vega user with 10.14.6, I don't need any file. ¿is it right?

- SSDT-UIAC-DESIGNARE-Z390-V7.aml:
I need a custom USB SSDT.
Here, in another post for aorus master users, someone recommends this tutorial (link)
The user has his own USB.plist (it is not an .aml file), generated with USBMap to install in USBMap/Scripts.

I don't know if it's better to follow the tutorial and create my own usb ssdt, or use this file. ¿?
If i can use this file, where is the USBMap folder ¿?

Thanks again for the help. :thumbup:

Last edited:
Thanks again for your time Casey...

Please find attached a .zip with the requested files.

I've double-checked the /Library/Extensions folder and no sign of those 3 kexts.

In Clover/ACPI/patched you'll find the latest version of SSDT-DESIGNARE-Z390-NO-CNVW.aml too

The Fenvi is installed in the top short slot (PCIEX1_1 near the CNVW), and the RX580 in the PCIEX8

Thanks
Frederic
The IOReg file shows that no devices are connected to the internal F_USB header on the motherboard. The Fenvi card should come with a USB data cable. One end plugs into the 4-pin port on the Fenvi; the other end plugs into the 9-pin F_USB header on motherboard.

Please check if this cable is connected. Incidentally, my Fenvi FV-T919 (ordered from eBay from China) arrived without the USB cable, so I had to purchase one separately.

Screen Shot 2019-08-07 at 10.29.58 AM.png

Hi CaseySJ
You are right, I forgot to select guid partition. The usb was with MBR.
I tried again and the bios detected the usb properly. I installed mojave and Multibeast following the guide. Very useful, congratulations.

Now I am stuck with the next step (post-install files.zip):

For drivers64UEFI, kets/other and library/extension folders, I copied all files

But for CLOVER/ACPI/patched, i copied all files except the following 2 files:

- SSDT-Z390-DESIGNARE-RX580-V2.aml:
as a Vega user with 10.14.6, I don't need any file. ¿is it right?

- SSDT-UIAC-DESIGNARE-Z390-V7.aml:
I need a custom USB SSDT.
Here, in another post for aorus master users, someone recommends this tutorial (link)
The user has his own USB.plist (not .aml), generated with USBMap to install in USBMap/Scripts.

I don't if it's better to follow the tutorial and create my own usb ssdt, or use this file. ¿?
If i can use this file, where is the USBMap folder ¿?

Thanks again for the help. :thumbup:
We can safely omit SSDT-Z390-DESIGNARE-RX580-V2, but the USB SSDT should still be used. The only reason to modify SSDT-UIAC-DESIGNARE-Z390-V7 is to accommodate different PC cases that might have different USB ports on the front.

So my recommendation is to use the USB SSDT and check whether the USB ports on your computer case are working (plug a USB 2 and USB 3 device into each one). If they are working, nothing more needs to be done. But if one or more of the ports do not work with either USB 2 or USB 3 devices, just let me know.

The IOReg file shows that no devices are connected to the internal F_USB header on the motherboard. The Fenvi card should come with a USB data cable. One end plugs into the 4-pin port on the Fenvi; the other end plugs into the 9-pin F_USB header on motherboard.

Please check if this cable is connected. Incidentally, my Fenvi FV-T919 (ordered from eBay from China) arrived without the USB cable, so I had to purchase one separately.

View attachment 420801
Thanks, I double checked that too. Maybe the cable is faulty so I'll get a new one and try again.

It's weird this has happened with 2 different wifi+BT cards (and cables) though, could it be an issue with the motherboard... ?

Thanks, I double checked that too. Maybe the cable is faulty so I'll get a new one and try again.

It's weird this has happened with 2 different wifi+BT cards (and cables) though, could it be an issue with the motherboard... ?
It’s certainly possible but would be somewhat rare. Are all 9 pins on F_USB present and unbent?

Here’s a link to the USB cable I ordered:

Hi again.
I tried all USB ports with 2 different pen drives (2.0 and 3.0), a 3.0 hard drive and a 3.0 hub (which I have connected the mouse and the keyboard), and it seems to work without issue.
I can't try the USB-c because I don't have any device.

About the fans, I don't see any problem. (All of them are working perfectly - low heat and noise).
I tried playing a 4k movie with VLC without any issue.

So, I can confirm that almost all is working perfectly, except for the trim:
At the step ... "state of the system after post-installation"

Audio: working ok
Ethernet card: working OK
Graphic displays: Intel and Vega 56 working ok ("metal supported with Vega 56")
PCI: No. (I suppose is working OK because I don't have thunderbolt devices)
SATA: Trim support - No (I don't know why don't work with my Crucial M4 SSD)
USB: OK. I can see a lot of connections including my mouse and keyboard over USB 3.0 hub
Network: working OK

I attach first benchmark.

Regards.

Attachments

• Benchmark.png
    Benchmark.png
    86.9 KB · Views: 76
  • Benchmark 2.png
    Benchmark 2.png
    83.8 KB · Views: 74
@Seahawk, regarding Trim, have you unchecked the “Disable” column in Clover Configurator (Kernel and Kext Patches)?

This might be an interesting finding for owners of Thunderbolt monitors.

The motherboard connects a DisplayPort stream from the iGPU to each of the two Thunderbolt USB-C ports on the rear IO panel. But when we use a discrete GPU and connect it to the DP-In port, the motherboard should switch off the iGPU stream and route dGPU signal to the Thunderbolt port. This only works with one of the two Thunderbolt ports (please refer to Designare user manual to identify the correct port).

Your observation sounds as if this auto-switching is not taking place properly, and you are forced to disable the iGPU...
Looks like this autoswitching is not happening. Does that mean its a Hardware issue ? Any advice ?

Back