Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

@CaseySJ I don't seem to find anything on the internet as yesterday I had my first "gray/white" screen while gaming (gpu temp was 65c, cpu was 75c) on Windows, keep in mind that in 13 days this only happened once. Disabling the multicore performance brings my temps on windows back to 50c so my only thought is I have to load the respective profile when booting from OSX or Windows because I had this issue only once by booting the Mac OS optimized bios while loading windows, but 75-90c seems to me rather normal with the i9 9900k and I was thinking more on a driver/bios issue.

Is there no solution yet to autoload a bios profile while booting a specific os?
Rather than a faulty card if it's not a bios issue could it be AMD drivers / watt man crap causing the gray screen (game still works audio goes on, doesn't restart)?

It happened only once but I don't want to find myself in a middle of a project with that issue someday.

Thoughts?

Hello
Great Build! I tried to do almost the same! I have the Problem that I do not get all Thunderbolt Ports as you do!
I do not see audio nor USB Thunderbolt under audio and USB. I never get a text with OWC ....
And do to the help I bought the fractal design r6 USB-C I do not get HS12 running. I t stoops at HS11
I took The factual design r6
And do I have to change the Internal Graphic if it looks like this?
I run it with a Vega.

At post installation there is now the XHCI-unsupported.kext , should we copy this one too?or any help
Thanks for the great post you did and thanks for any help here

Attachments

• Screenshot 2019-01-14 at 20.39.58.png
    Screenshot 2019-01-14 at 20.39.58.png
    57.6 KB · Views: 85
  • Screenshot 2019-01-14 at 20.40.22.png
    Screenshot 2019-01-14 at 20.40.22.png
    66.8 KB · Views: 92
  • Screenshot 2019-01-14 at 20.40.42.png
    Screenshot 2019-01-14 at 20.40.42.png
    61.8 KB · Views: 77
  • Screenshot 2019-01-14 at 20.43.34.png
    Screenshot 2019-01-14 at 20.43.34.png
    68.5 KB · Views: 85
Hello
Great Build! I tried to do almost the same! I have the Problem that I do not get all Thunderbolt Ports as you do!
I do not see audio nor USB Thunderbolt under audio and USB. I never get a text with OWC ....
And do to the help I bought the fractal design r6 USB-C I do not get HS12 running. I t stoops at HS11
I run it with a Vega.

At post installation there is now the XHCI-unsupported.kext , should we copy this one too?or any help

OWC is showing on his because he has the OWC device connected . Thunderbolt looks good

Thanks for the fast reply.
Now there is the one point open, How do I get the hs12 according to the ssdt from Fractal Design running?? I tried already as Mac mini and imac

Attachments

• Screenshot 2019-01-14 at 21.16.55.png
    Screenshot 2019-01-14 at 21.16.55.png
    222.6 KB · Views: 80
  • Screenshot 2019-01-14 at 21.21.57.png
    Screenshot 2019-01-14 at 21.21.57.png
    16.4 KB · Views: 77
  • Screenshot 2019-01-14 at 21.24.31.png
    Screenshot 2019-01-14 at 21.24.31.png
    144.2 KB · Views: 74
I am not sure but I think it's "unassigned" by looking at the legend in the graphic. My registry looks the same as yours. I have the same case and profile/patch. Two of my front usb 2.0 ports do not work

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-01-14 at 3.33.51 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-01-14 at 3.33.51 PM.png
    189 KB · Views: 63
  • Screen Shot 2019-01-14 at 3.32.49 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-01-14 at 3.32.49 PM.png
    121.5 KB · Views: 75
Hello
I run it with a Vega.

Good choice to build this system! :)

@tdcam Already addressed the Thunderbolt issue. For the other two issues:
  • On this motherboard it's not strictly necessary to install XHCI-Unsupported.kext. Because people with other Gigabyte motherboards are also following parts of this guide, I decided to include this kext for their benefit.
  • Regarding HS12: What files are currently in your CLOVER/ACPI/patched folder on EFI partition of the Mojave SSD? You may need to delete SSDT-UIAC-DESIGNARE-Z390-V3.aml and replace it with the .aml file located in the section shown in red.
    SSDT for Fractal Design R6.png

Edit: I just saw your new replies above. Please delete the .dsl file from CLOVER/ACPI/patched folder and see if that makes any difference.

@CaseySJ I don't seem to find anything on the internet as yesterday I had my first "gray/white" screen while gaming (gpu temp was 65c, cpu was 75c) on Windows, keep in mind that in 13 days this only happened once. Disabling the multicore performance brings my temps on windows back to 50c so my only thought is I have to load the respective profile when booting from OSX or Windows because I had this issue only once by booting the Mac OS optimized bios while loading windows, but 75-90c seems to me rather normal with the i9 9900k and I was thinking more on a driver/bios issue.

Is there no solution yet to autoload a bios profile while booting a specific os?
Rather than a faulty card if it's not a bios issue could it be AMD drivers / watt man crap causing the gray screen (game still works audio goes on, doesn't restart)?

It happened only once but I don't want to find myself in a middle of a project with that issue someday.

Thoughts?
The first thought that comes to mind: Delete Windows!! :evil:

My Raijintek Orcus 280mm all-in-one liquid cooler is doing a great job managing thermals. If you're not happy with the performance of your current cooler, you could consider something different. The Multi-core enhancement settings provide a 5% boost, so it may be a good idea to disable it. Your games will not feel the difference. Gaming performance is affected more by single-core performance than multi-core performance.

As for true dual-BIOS-settings, I have not encountered any automatic system for switching...

Back