Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Hi @CaseySJ, I'm having a very annoying issue:

After removing Aptio...free-2000.efi from CLOVER folder and replacing it with AptioMemoryFix-64.efi and changing my SMBIOS to iMacPro1,1 I was able to boot into the OS but afterwards I am experiencing kernel panics every time I reboot or shutdown the machine. So far I've tried:

* Rolling back to my old EFI folder.
* Placing back Aptio...free-2000.efi
* A fresh install.
* CMOS reset as stated in Manual.
* Deleting PM settings as stated in Fixing Auto-sleep section.

I even got a kernel panic on one of the reboots during the new installation..

I am now attempting a second fresh install. Don't really know what to do next.

Do you have any suggestions? I really need your help..

I am going crazy here..

AptioMemoryFix.efi requires EmuVariableUefi.efi to avoid panic re-boots; this has been found with several mobos.

A possible reason it may have booted once with AptioMemoryFix-64.efi was that you did not fully power down the computer.

To verify any software change, it is best to shutdown the computer, unplug the AC cord, and press the power switch a few times. Then replug the cord, turn on and boot as usual.

Howdy beautiful people,

I am relatively new to the Hackintosh scene. I have run into some problems with my hack. I have followed the guide exactly.

Specifically everything works but these:
- Thunderbolt does not work at all. Included USB-C, adapters, and any of my audio interfaces.
- USB 3.1 Gen 2 header, specifically HS01/SS01 is not working at all.
- Vega 64 H.264 and HVEC acceleration not present (according to VideoProc).

When I plug anything into these ports (thunderbolt + USB-C SS01), they don't even supply power to anything connected.

Again, I am new to the scene, so I will try my best to be resourceful. The lively community gives me hope my issues will be fixed! :)

I have attatched a zip with screenshots of clover, my EFI folders, and my config.plist among other things.

EDIT:
I should also say I am not using the 9 Pin USB Splitter 1-to-2.
The rest of my setup is as follows:
- Gigabyte Designare z390 Rev 1.0 BIOS F6 (configured as per guide)
- Vega 64 (installed in PCIE x16 slot 2 and connected via DP port)
- TridentZ 64GB 3200Mhz
- 1tb Samsung 960 Pro
- BCM94360 Wifi card (Installed in last PCIe x1 slot. This is what's plugging into the only USB 2.0 header on Mobo). Specifically this model: https://www.osxwifi.com/product/pc-...94360cd-802-11-a-b-g-n-ac-with-bluetooth-4-0/
- windows installed on another SSD
- NZXT H440 case

I will also note that before phase 2 installation and post installation, I did see the Thunderbolt controller/modules in the PCI and Thunderbolt tabs in About This Mac (although I didn't actually test them). Now, after installation, they don't even show up at all.

EDIT 2:
I have just double checked my BIOS setting, and it seems like at some point during installation it reset to default settings. I am not sure why.

I now changed the BIOS settings to reflect the guide, and now the Thunderbolt bridge appears in PCI in About This Mac. I double checked my config.plist and reran KextUtility.

Thunderbolt 3 devices now are shown in PCI tab only if I boot with them (no hot swap). However, even though they now appear in PCI tab, they still do not work. I have tried LG 5k, Apollo Twin via TB2 adapter, USB-C dock, USB-C flash drive. None work. And the front USB-C header HS01/SS01 still does not recognize or power anything.

Last edited:
Made my best attempt to try to replicate this but I haven't succeeded yet. Would you mind sharing you EFI folder so I can compare?

Please fill in the SMBIOS with your Serial Number, SmUUID, Board Serial Number and Rt Variable tab with MLB value.
There are 2 config.plist - the default one for the IGPU only(so with the Framebuffer patch); the other one is for the
DGPU.

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    17.3 MB · Views: 121
Last edited:
Hi @CaseySJ, I'm having a very annoying issue:

After removing Aptio...free-2000.efi from CLOVER folder and replacing it with AptioMemoryFix-64.efi and changing my SMBIOS to iMacPro1,1 I was able to boot into the OS but afterwards I am experiencing kernel panics every time I reboot or shutdown the machine. So far I've tried:

* Rolling back to my old EFI folder.
* Placing back Aptio...free-2000.efi
* A fresh install.
* CMOS reset as stated in Manual.
* Deleting PM settings as stated in Fixing Auto-sleep section.

I even got a kernel panic on one of the reboots during the new installation..

I am now attempting a second fresh install. Don't really know what to do next.

Do you have any suggestions? I really need your help..

I am going crazy here..

EDIT: After second fresh install, I'm getting the same kernel panic as before. I'm now getting the KP even right after the new instal. That is: I boot to the OS, do nothing and choose reboot ---> Kernel Panic.

Try the EFI in my post above.
Please fill in the SMBIOS with your Serial Number, SmUUID, Board Serial Number and Rt Variable tab with MLB value.
There are 2 config.plist - the default one for the IGPU only(so with the Framebuffer patch); the other one is for the
DGPU.

Last edited:
Hello!

I followed your instructions, but it did not make any difference.
I disconnected the WiFi-Bluetooth card from the internal header and only inserted keyboard and mouse via my Apple Cinema Display Hub into the rear USB2 slots.
TimeMachine and Handoff, has been disabled.

Do you have an idea how to troubleshoot this further?

Thanks a lot for your reply!

Cheers,
Alexander
The Cinema Display's built-in USB hub is also a USB device that should be disconnected. Please connect keyboard and mouse directly into the rear USB 2.0 ports to rule out the hub.

I have a dual boot set up on my Designare build. There are two separate, internal NVMe SSD drives: one for Win 10 and one for Mojave. I boot into Clover on the EFI partition of the MacOS drive. From there, I can boot into Windows if I choose. I have Clover timed for 3 seconds (setting in Clover/Boot section). If I don't use an arrow key to select the the Windows drive, Clover automatically boots into Mojave. (The Windows drive is not hidden in the Clover/Gui Hide Volume section.)

The Mac EFI drive is selected as the primary drive for booting within BIOS. Occasionally, after updating Windows, Windows will 'take over' and force BIOS to make it the primary boot drive. I then have to go into BIOS to re-set the Mac EFI partition as the primary boot drive.

Rarely, Windows writes a boot.efi to the Mac EFI partition, and a couple of times it seemed to corrupt the Mac EFI folder. It sounds like maybe this is what happened to you. The fix in this case is to copy a back-up Mac EFI folder (I keep some stored on the main drive) to the Mac EFI partition, replacing all files on the EFI partition. Once Windows so corrupted the Mac EFI partition that I had to reformat the Mac EFI and main partitions (which was reasonably painless due to having a cloned backup).

It seems Clover / Mac OS places the prohibited symbol every time I reinstall Windows even when it’s on a separate drive and I turn off the cache options in Windows.

I have formatted my Mojave drive a few times and each time I boot into Windows I end up not being able to boot back into OSX... I’m using Clover to boot both.

I wish there were an easier way to get the Windows partition to stay visible after formatting and reinstalling Clover and OSX, maybe that would fix the issue?

I will attach my EFI folder when I get home. Maybe something is funky. Did you provide your EFI folder somewhere in this thread? If so I can just grab it for comparison sake.

The past few days have been extremely annoying lol. And this all started on my birthday :( womp womp lol

Has anyone dual booted Windows 10 with their Hackintosh?

I am having a strange issue and I am not sure what is causing it.

I’ve had my new Hackintosh for about a month now. Had Mojave on my Samsung 970 PCIe SSD and Windows 10 on a Samsung 860. Both were working fine. Suddenly, I boot clover up and try to boot OSX and it gives me a prohibited symbol and will not let me get in. Windows 10 works fine.

I’ve formatted and reinstalled everything multiple times and now it just keeps happening. It seems like every time I reinstall Windows and get that up and running, something breaks on the Hackintosh partition. I’ve reset the BIOS so many times now too.

Anyone know what’s up or how I can find out what’s up? Not sure how to trouble shoot this at all.
In addition to what others have suggested:
  • When installing Windows, all other hard drives and NVMe drives must be disconnected.
  • Because macOS is on an NVMe drive and Windows is on a SATA SSD, they are on different buses so a Windows Feature Update should not (we hope) interfere with the EFI partition of the Mojave SSD. But I have not verified this myself.
  • Did the problem start right after a Windows Feature Update (e.g. 1903) was installed?
  • You can also mount the EFI partition of the Mojave SSD and examine the contents of the EFI folder. At the top level you should see:
    • EFI folder
      • bootx64.efi
      • CLOVER folder
      • If you see a WINDOWS folder here (not inside CLOVER folder) you should check whether the EFI partition of the Windows SSD (Samsung 860) also has this folder. If it exists on both drives, delete it form the Mojave SSD.

@mango1122

I've tried using your EFI, everything seems to work fine, but two things I had problem with, maybe it might help me:

1. loading a RAID 0 (internal) SSD, using SoftRaid, loads but takes 1 to 2 minutes to appear, it seems to take a while to load.
2. The preview of images does not work, it gets stuck, it only works correctly if you enable bios to intel hd.

Public Service Message:

Many people are experimenting with OpenCore, AptioMemoryFix, and VirtualSMC without properly safeguarding their working systems. If the working system is important, it should be treated with extreme care.

This will sound like a broken record (i.e. a line that keeps repeating itself) but when experimenting with OpenCore or AptioMemoryFix or VirtualSMC, we always recommend one of three strategies:
  1. Make a full bootable backup and only then make changes to your primary SSD.
  2. Make all changes to a spare SATA SSD mounted via an external USB 3 enclosure.
  3. Copy the working EFI folder from the Mojave SSD to the EFI partition of a USB flash drive (format the flash drive first using GUID Partition Table). Then make all changes to the USB flash drive.
    • However, if it's necessary to modify /Library/Extensions folder, then we should NOT use Option 3. Only Options 1 and 2 should be used in this case.
Despite the doom and gloom warnings about OsxAptioFix2Drv-free2000, there is no immediate urgency to make any change. If this is a “Boot Services Driver” instead of a “Runtime Driver” then it will be terminated by Apple’s “boot.efi” when it calls “ExitBootServices”.

Only “Runtime Drivers” stay in memory and are used by the OS, but all Boot Services Drivers are terminated once the boot process begins.

Last edited:
FaceTime not working for me , not showing onboard bluetooth and also the whiff came along with Z390 Desginare motherboard not working at all and rest I have to check cause I recently did the clean install
Please post the following files so we can expedite a diagnosis of your system:
  1. Compress and upload the CLOVER folder from EFI partition of your Mojave SSD. You may remove serial numbers from SMBIOS section of Clover Configurator.
  2. Screenshot of your /Library/Extensions folder.
  3. Run IORegistryExplorer and choose File --> Save As... to save the IOReg data. Upload that file.

Back