Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

After having botched upgrading to VirtualSMC once before a few weeks back, I decided to give it another go to see if there were any meaningful differences between it and the FakeSMC solution.
As it turns out, there are!
This mostly relates to iStat Menus, which I use, but it might translate to other monitoring applications as well.

Specifically:
- I now have properly working Voltage and Wattage monitoring (whereas previously FakeSMC would only report bogus Wattage numbers and no voltages at all) (also, dear lord, my 9900K pulls 230W under full load, so much for the TDP specs)
- Fans are detected and even fan speed is properly sensed (only works for fans directly connected to the motherboard, of course). It even detects my Kraken's pump and reads out its speed properly!
- A thing that had been bugging me for a while got fixed: With FakeSMC in place, iStat menus would properly monitor CPU usage statistics, however, opening the detailed menu by clicking on the menu bar item was very laggy (it took several seconds to open). This lag between the initial click and actually opening the menu is now completely gone and everything runs smooth as silk now.

One thing regarding the guide though: If you are on a version of Clover above 4988, the VirtualSMC.efi file must be put under drivers/UEFI instead of drivers64UEFI.
Looks like I should commit these changes to my main system as well. Up to now I've kept VirtualSMC in a holding pattern, but maybe it's time to have it properly adopted.

Edit: Updated the Different FakeSMC section of the guide to sanction the use of VirtualSMC.

Last edited:
Great idea certainly!
Yes, especially if AptioMemoryFix will work now, because it supports native NVRAM (no need for EmuVariable). But have you checked whether FaceTime and Messages are working?

Yes, especially if AptioMemoryFix will work now, because it supports native NVRAM (no need for EmuVariable). But have you checked whether FaceTime and Messages are working?
I just used both without any issue

I use iMacPro 1,1 ... perfect for me !

Have you installed more then 64gb of ram? Or why else did you deviate from the description?

I use 64.
When I did the installation, I ended up selecting this option to test and it worked, I've been having a few freezes. But then I discovered that the problem is in the GPU that was jumpered overclocked. As the 1.1 was working perfectly did not change any more .....

@CaseySJ

What is currently the best in terms of price/performance/compatibility memory kit for this mobo? Interested in 32GB 64GB and possibly 128GB kits.

It totally depends on what you're planning to do. Not a lot of applications utilise even more than 16GB of memory. More than 32GB are usually only necessary for the most intense workloads like >4K video editing or using multiple VMs.

Back